Author Topic: Who was Danny’s worst draft pick?  (Read 14096 times)

Who was Danny’s worst draft pick?
« on: March 26, 2021, 09:15:18 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Obviously, everybody is going to have their own criteria here. For me, it is selecting a guy who completely couldn’t play, mixed with there being clearly better options in the draft.

I’m going to say Yabusele.  He had to horrible years here, and was so bad that no other NBA team even took a flyer on him.

And, he was a reach at the time.  There were no superstars available, but LaVert, Beasley, Siakim, Brogdon and Murray were all on the board.

The kicker is that we had to “stretch” him, meaning he has counted $1+ million on our books for the past few years. 

I expect the consensus here might be KO, but he could play and has had a good career.

Other options:  Marcus Banks, James Young, Fab Melo, J.R. Giddens

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Who was Danny’s worst draft pick?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 09:16:13 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Fab Melo (RIP).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 09:26:59 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How about JaJuan Johnson?

Most likely Yabu since he was a higher pick.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 09:29:26 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Gabe Pruitt

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 09:30:04 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

That's a good one. 

I chose Melo because he played in just 6 games.  Late middle first round. Barely any minutes played.  And then was gone, traded in the next offseason.  If that's not admitting a whiff, I'm not sure what does.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 09:33:18 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Obviously, everybody is going to have their own criteria here. For me, it is selecting a guy who completely couldn’t play, mixed with there being clearly better options in the draft.

I’m going to say Yabusele.  He had to horrible years here, and was so bad that no other NBA team even took a flyer on him.

And, he was a reach at the time.  There were no superstars available, but LaVert, Beasley, Siakim, Brogdon and Murray were all on the board.

The kicker is that we had to “stretch” him, meaning he has counted $1+ million on our books for the past few years. 

I expect the consensus here might be KO, but he could play and has had a good career.

Other options:  Marcus Banks, James Young, Fab Melo, J.R. Giddens

I would agree with this. Worst part is, the Celtics even had a private workout with Siakam prior to the draft.  Danny loves his “Tweeners” and undersized scrappy players though. He’s terrible at drafting mid to late first and forget about the second round. When is the last time Danny drafted a player in the 2nd round that worked out? I can’t think of any. Fortunately, he hit on Jaylen and Jayson big time, so all is forgiven.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 09:34:21 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Yeah it’s gotta be Yabusele based on who was still on the board. In fact, aside from Jaylen Brown, all of the Celtics picks that year were horrible...Yabusele, Zizic, Jackson, Bentil, Nader...Imagine where the team would be today if Ainge snagged Siakam and LeVert in addition to Brown  :o ...Hey, at least Danny didn’t take Bender ahead of Jaylen (it makes me ill that I actually advocated for that at one point).

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 09:34:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That's a good one. 

I chose Melo because he played in just 6 games.  Late middle first round. Barely any minutes played.  And then was gone, traded in the next offseason.  If that's not admitting a whiff, I'm not sure what does.

Yeah, I hated that pack at the time, and I was quickly proven right. The only reason I didn’t put him number one was that there weren’t a lot of great options left at that point. Apparently the Celtics were really high on Draymond Green, but they didn’t want two PFs.  Ugh.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 09:37:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think that that is the one that Mike Zarren has said hurt the most, because it was between Johnson and Jimmy Butler. The Celtics had their choice narrowed down to those two names, and they went with Johnson.

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 09:40:17 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
When is the last time Danny drafted a player in the 2nd round that worked out? I can’t think of any.

E’twaun Moore was a good pick.  Semi is at least a rotation player.  If you go way back, Gomes, BBD and Powe all were contributors.

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 09:40:24 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I think I'll pick Giddens.  Yabu is easy, but the Celtics were dead set on not taking anyone who required guaranteed money in the 1st, because they were keeping salary open to max both Horford and Durant.  It didn't work, but there was a clear rationale to the picks.  Unfortunately, Ainge had 8 picks that year, and everyone knew that he was keeping cap space, so likely his options were limited.  Giddens was just a clear misidentification of talent and character brought onto a team that had just won a title, and there were a handful of players taken in the next 7-10 picks who could have helped the Celtics more.  The most obvious in hindsight was De'Andre Jordan, of course, but even a guy like Luc Mbah a Moute who went 7 picks after Giddens would have been a solid choice, with the ability to immediately slot into a reserve role backing up Pierce.  It's not that hard to imagine that with Mbah a Moute on the roster in 2010-2011, we don't need to trade Perk to get someone like Jeff Green in order to keep Pierce fresh.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 09:46:44 AM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 09:46:53 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
On second thought, I would like to nominate James Young drafted 17th overall. Incredible that he’s still only 25 years old.

Players drafted after him:

Nikola Jokic
Clint Capela
Garry Harris
Bogdan Bagdonavic
Joe Harris
Spencer Dinwiddie
Jeremiah Grant
Jordan Clarkson.

Kinda wish you didn’t start this thread. It’s depressing.

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 09:50:15 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I think looking back in a few years Nesmith will be the unanimous selection.

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 09:51:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
On second thought, I would like to nominate James Young. Incredible that he’s still only 25 years old.

Players drafted after him:

Nikola Jokic
Clint Capela
Garry Harris
Bogdan Bagdonavic
Joe Harris
Spencer Dinwiddie
Jeremiah Grant
Jordan Clarkson.

Kinda wish you didn’t start this thread. It’s depressing.

Yeah, that was such a weird draft.  Picks 21 and after were probably better than #1 through 20.

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 09:53:07 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
To me, there is no question.  It was Fab Melo.

He simply couldn't move or react at the speed of the NBA, or even close really.  This should not have been something that was missed.