Author Topic: NFL 2021 Season  (Read 176263 times)

Re: NFL 2021 Season
« Reply #390 on: September 26, 2021, 05:23:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Some Pats thoughts
-Pats play calling has been off three years now. It always looks better in no huddle but that's about it.
-Jones does need to get better but he did ok.
-Team missed Uche on defense.
-The speed of the Saints defense just shows how far Pats defense is from being elite. There is also no consistency in its play quality from missing tackles to not attacking the ball carrier.
-Special teams isn't special here anymore, they are below average.
-The O-line has regressed. I know two guys are out but they were supposed to be deep at OL.

« Reply #391 on: September 26, 2021, 05:27:11 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Mac Jones is supposed to be an accurate, heady player. He was neither of those today vs the Saints.

Given his limited physical tools ( height, arm strength and speed all very limited), he needs to bring both his accuracy and headiness to EVERY game, or he will continue to suck as he did today.

Jones wasn't great. But that Jonnu Smith drop leading to that gift Pick 6 was atrocious and basically gave the game to the Saints. Also, I'm really not sure what McDaniels even does here. All those screen passes, dumb runs right into the defense, etc. WHY??

When they let Jones spread the field and let him sling it, that's when we had some of our best drives today on offense. Moving down the field, getting to manageable 3rd downs, etc.

What really sums it up though is, Saints get a 7-minute TD drive in the 4th, while the Pats had a 9-minute drive ending in a FG where they passed their way to the redzone then ran two dumb running plays to kill a chance at a TD. Summed it up.

I actually don't really blame the defense today either. They aren't elite, but the thing is the turnovers, punt block and offense having a bunch of 3-and-outs clearly didn't help them today. They clearly looked gassed at the end but the only reason it was even 21-6 and 21-13 for a while was because of them. NO could have easily had like 35+ today
I have been over McDaniels for about 5 years. He's obsessed with cutesy playcalling

I agree 100%.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #392 on: September 26, 2021, 05:34:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
Mac Jones is supposed to be an accurate, heady player. He was neither of those today vs the Saints.

Given his limited physical tools ( height, arm strength and speed all very limited), he needs to bring both his accuracy and headiness to EVERY game, or he will continue to suck as he did today.

Jones wasn't great. But that Jonnu Smith drop leading to that gift Pick 6 was atrocious and basically gave the game to the Saints. Also, I'm really not sure what McDaniels even does here. All those screen passes, dumb runs right into the defense, etc. WHY??

When they let Jones spread the field and let him sling it, that's when we had some of our best drives today on offense. Moving down the field, getting to manageable 3rd downs, etc.

What really sums it up though is, Saints get a 7-minute TD drive in the 4th, while the Pats had a 9-minute drive ending in a FG where they passed their way to the redzone then ran two dumb running plays to kill a chance at a TD. Summed it up.

I actually don't really blame the defense today either. They aren't elite, but the thing is the turnovers, punt block and offense having a bunch of 3-and-outs clearly didn't help them today. They clearly looked gassed at the end but the only reason it was even 21-6 and 21-13 for a while was because of them. NO could have easily had like 35+ today
I have been over McDaniels for about 5 years. He's obsessed with cutesy playcalling

I agree 100%.

Yeah and honestly I think Brady got sick of it too by the end of 2019. They don't have an abundance of talent to begin with and then you have all this cutesy playcalling which just won't get you too many wins in a season if you resort to that.

I used to think McDaniels stayed because he could potentially replace Belichick down the road but now I realize we DON'T want that lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #393 on: September 26, 2021, 05:53:42 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528

I agree 100%.

Yeah and honestly I think Brady got sick of it too by the end of 2019. They don't have an abundance of talent to begin with and then you have all this cutesy playcalling which just won't get you too many wins in a season if you resort to that.

I used to think McDaniels stayed because he could potentially replace Belichick down the road but now I realize we DON'T want that lol.

Not arguing about the play calling, but truthfully that marginalizes what NO did to the Pats today.  Mac was pressured all day. When he hit receivers, they were well-covered and made tough catches.  Ground game was nowhere. O-line was dominated.   BTW -- was Harris hurt? Didn't see him in the 2nd half.  I know White was injured - hope it's not too serious.    NO defense stifled the Pats, I'm not sure what McDaniels could have done to change the outcome of this one.  Disappointing.

« Reply #394 on: September 26, 2021, 06:22:34 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Bucs looking like 2011 Patriots. No defense only offense lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #395 on: September 26, 2021, 06:25:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The Rams are also a seriously good team. Best defensive linemen in the league, top 3 CB, great QB, good receiving core, creative coach. They could win it all
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #396 on: September 26, 2021, 06:31:51 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
The Rams are also a seriously good team. Best defensive linemen in the league, top 3 CB, great QB, good receiving core, creative coach. They could win it all

I'd hate to see Sean McVay and the Rams win it all. Hopefully Arizona, SF, or GB can stop them in the playoffs

« Reply #397 on: September 26, 2021, 06:38:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'd hate to see Sean McVay and the Rams win it all. Hopefully Arizona, SF, or GB can stop them in the playoffs
I wouldn't mind seeing Stafford win one after a career in Detroit. Would also like to see JJ Watt have a chance too.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #398 on: September 26, 2021, 09:19:45 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440

Did you just check the box score and not actually watch any of the game? The offensive line is not protecting Mac at all. He has no time to throw the ball and spent much of the game on his back. Two of the interceptions were on the WR’s. I’m not sure if there is a team in the NFL with a worse receiving corp. Agholor barely has 100 yards through 3 games, Bourne shows up for the first time today. Jonnu has been awful and Henry just Meh. The defensive line doesn’t look any better and other than Judon no one is pressuring the opposing QB. Overall the FA signings this year look bad. I expected the offense to struggle with a rookie QB and a lot of new pieces, but the defense? Team seems really poorly constructed.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 09:41:51 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #399 on: September 26, 2021, 10:15:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Did you just check the box score and not actually watch any of the game? The offensive line is not protecting Mac at all. He has no time to throw the ball and spent much of the game on his back. Two of the interceptions were on the WR’s. I’m not sure if there is a team in the NFL with a worse receiving corp. Agholor barely has 100 yards through 3 games, Bourne shows up for the first time today. Jonnu has been awful and Henry just Meh. The defensive line doesn’t look any better and other than Judon no one is pressuring the opposing QB. Overall the FA signings this year look bad. I expected the offense to struggle with a rookie QB and a lot of new pieces, but the defense? Team seems really poorly constructed.
well 15+ years of garbage roster moves will do that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #400 on: September 26, 2021, 10:37:23 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

Ummmm..... How many have done it better than Belichick over the last 15+ years? It wasn't just Tom Brady. It was the New England Patriots winning all of those Super Bowls.

« Reply #401 on: September 26, 2021, 10:53:03 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440

Ummmm..... How many have done it better than Belichick over the last 15+ years? It wasn't just Tom Brady. It was the New England Patriots winning all of those Super Bowls.

Belichick’s record without Brady.... 54-61

Bet a lot of coaches would have looked pretty [dang] good if they had the greatest QB of all time for 20 years.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #402 on: September 26, 2021, 11:49:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Bet a lot of coaches would have looked pretty [dang] good if they had the greatest QB of all time for 20 years.
There is a whole side of the football team that Brady doesn't play on that Belichick coached and developed, besides coaching and developing Brady. It's called the defensive side of the ball.

Without Belichick's excellent defenses, Brady ain't winning nearly as much. And let's not forget Belichick had two SB rings as an assistant coach/defensive coordinator, so saw success already as a coach.

« Reply #403 on: September 27, 2021, 12:18:52 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Don't look now but Kansas City Chiefs of all teams are last place in the AFC West!

« Reply #404 on: September 27, 2021, 08:42:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

There is a whole side of the football team that Brady doesn't play on that Belichick coached and developed, besides coaching and developing Brady. It's called the defensive side of the ball.

Without Belichick's excellent defenses, Brady ain't winning nearly as much. And let's not forget Belichick had two SB rings as an assistant coach/defensive coordinator, so saw success already as a coach.
Bill is an excellent defensive coach, but he is a horrid GM and always has been.  There is a reason teams don't let their coaches be the GM very often, and that reason it is it just doesn't work because there isn't enough time in the day to effectively do both.  One is always going to suffer.  Bill would be much better served just being a coach because he failed as a GM in Cleveland and he has mostly failed as a GM in New England.  Tom Brady really did cover for a lot of the roster problems, which are pretty clearly present now without the goat QB to bail the team out. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip