Poll

Starting: What should Patriots do regarding QB situation?

sign stopgap UFA:  Fitzpatrick, Trubisky, Smith etc.
4 (14.8%)
trade/overpay for Garoppolo
4 (14.8%)
bring back Newton
5 (18.5%)
Draft: best available 1st round pick. Mac Jones (example)
14 (51.9%)
Draft: best available 2nd round pick. Davis Mills (example)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Poll: What should Patriots do regarding QB situation?  (Read 9449 times)

Re: Poll: What should Patriots do regarding QB situation?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2021, 01:57:37 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Their styles are different enough where I think both are going to play.  Cam will start at least to begin the season. I can't see Belichick using a rookie starter when he's got Cam who's still competent.  Plus they're going to be a running team and he can run the ball.

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2021, 01:59:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Cam can't play any better than he did last season, then he shouldn't start, but he looked better to me so far this preseason, especially last night vs. Philly.  I know, Philly didn't play all their defensive starters but I saw a difference in him as compared to last season.  To me, Cam looked like he had a sore arm last season.  Last night, the throwing motion looked more natural, more athletic.

He also looked more comfortable with decision-making and processing.  He seemed to be getting the ball where it needed to be, in the rhythm of the play progressions.  The Pats have a complicated system.  Maybe Cam understands it better now.  Cam is probably at his best if he is going on feel or reaction vs. having to think about everything.

I am hopeful that Cam will play well enough to be the starter.  I think that is better for the Pats and for Mac Jones.

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2021, 03:37:44 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I'm eating crow

Jones is really impressive for a rookie QB

still early but he looks great from the pocket

dare I say it is.....esque

well yesterday it looked like it

He will hit a TD sooner or later

Should have had a couple already, but the WR’s suck.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2021, 04:58:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Our o-line looks monstrous. Keeping our QBs totally unscathed. I think we'll play both.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2021, 05:38:10 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Our o-line looks monstrous. Keeping our QBs totally unscathed. I think we'll play both.

How do you think they will go about playing both? I feel like Cam will start the season, but will be on a very short leash. Couple of bad games and he’s going to be benched for Mac.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2021, 05:38:24 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
If Mac Jones is outplaying Cam in camp then why wouldn’t you start him week 1?   If you go with Cam you’re basically waiting for Cam to perform poorly enough for Mac to take the job. Mac can’t “win” the job once Cam starts the season, Cam has to lose it.

How many more games would Bledsoe have started had he not been injured?  Maybe enough to have changed the trajectory of the magical season.

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2021, 06:04:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

How do you think they will go about playing both? I feel like Cam will start the season, but will be on a very short leash. Couple of bad games and he’s going to be benched for Mac.
Cam's running ability and throwing power compared to Jones are his strengths. His ability to run is really helpful for goal-line offence, especially if a play breaks down.

I think Cam will be on a short leash, but not too short. Could be like Miami last season, or maybe Mac shows out like Justin Herbert did.

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2021, 07:08:30 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
If Mac Jones is outplaying Cam in camp then why wouldn’t you start him week 1?   If you go with Cam you’re basically waiting for Cam to perform poorly enough for Mac to take the job. Mac can’t “win” the job once Cam starts the season, Cam has to lose it.

How many more games would Bledsoe have started had he not been injured?  Maybe enough to have changed the trajectory of the magical season.

Because Camp is practice and regular season games matter. Cam Is a 10 year veteran, a former MVP, and Bill loves him. Plus, many are saying that Newton didn’t get a fair shot last year due to Covid and the lack of weapons on the roster. I feel like he should have played a few quarters per pre-season game to see where he’s really at. He threw the ball 9 times yesterday against the Eagles 2nd unit and although he did look good, that’s just not a big enough sample size.

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2021, 07:32:29 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Based on Bill's 20+ years?

Start Mac Jones next season. I think, ultimately Bill's pattern suggests he would start Jones in his third season.

Bill has an issue. Cam really isn't about running complex offensive schemes and Bill's only other QB is.

Cam looked better against Philly's second string last night, but "looking better" than last season means little. Cam was ineffective last year with part of this being his shoulder which might be better this year.

Bill is a purist, Jones needs at least a year watching the games. Bill has destroyed 3 or 4 dozen opposing rookie QB's in his career and there are opposing coaches who will cut Jones up badly if given the chance.

Not sure if Jones will tolerate getting the you know what kicked out of him on a weekly basis as he learns the NFL and, I don't think Bill
needs to put Jones into the maelstrom. Are they really going for the title this year? Is this a "do or die" moment in time?

A point about Jones and being a rookie? He don't got wheels and a rookie can use them.

I think Mac looks great. His reads are good and his arm isn't amazing, but really good enough for this offense.

When Stidham went down I was sad as I wanted to see if he could play in the NFL and I wanted less Cam.

Cam is the man for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2021, 09:41:39 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Cam's running ability and throwing power compared to Jones are his strengths. His ability to run is really helpful for goal-line offence, especially if a play breaks down.

I think Cam will be on a short leash, but not too short. Could be like Miami last season, or maybe Mac shows out like Justin Herbert did.

You want Cam running at this stage of his career? Especially when the Pats are stacked at the RB position. Newton does have a stronger arm, but Macs is good enough and he’s super accurate.  Would really like to see Cam play more than 1Q in a preseason game, though.

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2021, 12:06:35 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

You want Cam running at this stage of his career? Especially when the Pats are stacked at the RB position. Newton does have a stronger arm, but Macs is good enough and he’s super accurate.  Would really like to see Cam play more than 1Q in a preseason game, though.
I want Newton running more than I want him passing.

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2021, 12:15:50 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

I want Newton running more than I want him passing.

I actually like Cam as a backup.  He probably doesn’t. But I think that’s a perfect role for him on this team.  I definitely don’t want to see his 6’5” body with those long legs running - he’s vulnerable and not as swiftly as he used to be. Brady of similar size and half the speed used to terrify me when he took off. 32 year old Cam is worse - I think he thinks he can do things he can’t do anymore, he takes risks, and I think he’s a season ending injury waiting to happen. Great backup to have. Don’t get injured - he may be needed if Jones goes down.
I guess I know Cam will start and Jones will watch for a while and then take over. I just hope the transition isn’t forced by injury or by a 3-game losing streak.

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2021, 04:51:31 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Cam Newton will miss time due to a COVID testing issue, and won’t be able to return back to the practice facility until August 26. Hopefully this means Mac Jones will get to practice with the starters all week, and play with the starters in the upcoming preseason game. Is it possible Mac Jones wins the starting job, in part, because Cam won’t get vaccinated?

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2021, 06:05:48 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Cam Newton will miss time due to a COVID testing issue, and won’t be able to return back to the practice facility until August 26. Hopefully this means Mac Jones will get to practice with the starters all week, and play with the starters in the upcoming preseason game. Is it possible Mac Jones wins the starting job, in part, because Cam won’t get vaccinated?

If he’s going to be back to practice on Friday I would think that he’s still going to start for the Sunday night game and play half of the first quarter like he has been. I can’t see Cam not Not starting week 1.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 08:01:35 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2021, 11:11:50 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Cam Newton really be shooting himself in the foot with how he's handling his situation.

Report: The #Patriots are not happy with the Cam Newton situation. There is a "level of frustration internally" and one important member of the organization believes it has opened up an opportunuty for rookie QB Mac Jones.
@MikeGiardi had it first.

Maybe Mac Jones starts for Week 1!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)