Author Topic: Celtics (51-21) at Pacers (32-42) 3/28  (Read 106850 times)

Re: Celtics (51-21) at Pacers (32-42) 3/28
« Reply #480 on: March 28, 2011, 10:02:55 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
What have Krstic and Green done for us thus far that Perk and Battier wouldn't have been able to do?

The thought of Perk and Battier instead of Krstic and Green...sigh. Too late to dream now.

It always would have been a dream.  Battier was never really in the cards.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #481 on: March 28, 2011, 10:03:11 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
What have Krstic and Green done for us thus far that Perk and Battier wouldn't have been able to do?

There's no way we would have been able to get Battier.  Houston got a better deal for him than we could have offered.

The proper comparison is Krstic and Green vs. Perk and Pavlovic.  I disagree that this team would be that much better with the latter.  Better defensively?  Perhaps.  But considerably worse offensively, and we're already putrid on offense.

Or Perk and Anthony Parker.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #482 on: March 28, 2011, 10:03:28 PM »

Offline Juneauz

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
I'm new here so I probably should shut up... but this forum has an attitude problem.

Rondo sucks, Davis sucks, Kristic sucks... Bla bla bla
And guys really sucking like Allen and Green are hardly mentioned.
I don't get it

Here's the thing, Juneauz.  A lot of people on this forum have been following this incarnation of the Celtics (and many other incarnations) for the last few years, especially closely the last 4-6 months.  They have done so with the deep seated belief that this team can win a championship.  Anything less than that will be a disappointment.  This is, for all intents and purposes, our last real shot at a title with this group.  After this year, it's lockout and then rebuilding time. 

So many people are getting really worked up and riled up and disgusted and embarrassed and ashamed because what they're seeing before their eyes is this team breaking down and falling short before they even get to the playoffs.  They're seeing happen again what they saw happen in the last half of last season leading up to the playoffs, which resulted in a loss in the Finals.  The team just ran out of gas last year.  Didn't have the legs, or the depth, or home court.  The window is closing, and #18 is slipping away.

In other words, this all may seem like a gross overreaction to one game, but the last month has been pretty brutal.  And it all appears to be a very ominous, disturbing sign of things to come.

I see what you're saying, PosImpos.
but I've been laughing and crying with the celtics just like you guys, in the last ten years. I don't miss a game, and I didn't miss one even when we were losing 20 in a row back in the days.
I'm frustrated just like you are, and I totally HATED the trade.
But what I don't get, is blaming always the same guys even when they play great, or never mention the "untachables" even when they play badly.

in the end, Danny Ainge is the one we should be really blaming for all of this.

But some guys here watch celtics games just to diss Rondo and BBD and will always do even if it makes no sense, just like today.

I think everybody just disagrees on who is to blame.  Personally, I don't believe that Danny is at fault.  I think he saw many of these issues coming ahead of time.  I think he wanted to try to address them to some degree and also attempt to put some youth in place to start creating a bridge between this group and the next.  I can't fault him for doing that. 

Just as Roy believes with much faith that the loss of Perkins is what has thrown this team into discord, I have faith in Danny.  I believe that the issues we're seeing crop up now are things that he expected to happen, and attempted to address beforehand.  I just don't think he was successful - but I don't think it was for lack of trying, or poor decision making.  I just have a feeling that this group is getting close to cooked.  Not cooked yet, but close.

Well we can at least agree he had bad timing.
He could've made these moves next year.
We had a great shot at a title, this season.
I remember this team playing great basketball a few months ago.
And when you have that, you shouldn't really think about the future.

winning NOW is the first goal

« Reply #483 on: March 28, 2011, 10:04:03 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
We tried for Anthony Parker. And Battier. And every rotation caliber swingman in the league and no one bit.

I can't believe so many are falling for the late season energy conservation bit again. "fool me once" syndrome.

« Reply #484 on: March 28, 2011, 10:04:36 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

There's no way we would have been able to get Battier.  Houston got a better deal for him than we could have offered.

The proper comparison is Krstic and Green vs. Perk and Pavlovic.  I disagree that this team would be that much better with the latter.  Better defensively?  Perhaps.  But considerably worse offensively, and we're already putrid on offense.

Or Perk and Anthony Parker.

Meh.  Not much better, in my opinion.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #485 on: March 28, 2011, 10:04:45 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

There's no way we would have been able to get Battier.  Houston got a better deal for him than we could have offered.

Why was it a "no way" deal? I'd read that we were very much in hunt to acquire Battier until Danny decided to be outsmart his brain cells...and pulled the trigger on the Krsitc and Green trade.

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #486 on: March 28, 2011, 10:05:23 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Like shaq and Jo will actually make any difference. they are walking injuries with nothing left.  Jeff teen has done about as much as Daniels did...which isn't much. this team is going nowhere. I have gone from expecting wins to being surprised if they do. that shouldn't happen with the Boston celtics....bulls....heat...lakers...all peaking....getting ready....Boston is just rolling over and over in a ditch of mediocrity

« Reply #487 on: March 28, 2011, 10:05:47 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

The thought of Perk and Battier instead of Krstic and Green...sigh. Too late to dream now.

It always would have been a dream.  Battier was never really in the cards.

People are driving me up a wall. You can't just make up a hypothetical trade that you wanted to happen. Look at what Memph had to give up for Battier. A big that still had potential and a first rounder that projected to be much higher than ours.

Good call, Pos.

« Reply #488 on: March 28, 2011, 10:06:05 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Question for those who think this has to do with the trade:

Why did this team go through the exact same thing last year? Could it be health has been the biggest problem down the stretch the last couple years? Also, what was the Celtics record with Perk this season?

« Reply #489 on: March 28, 2011, 10:06:38 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
I'm new here so I probably should shut up... but this forum has an attitude problem.

Rondo sucks, Davis sucks, Kristic sucks... Bla bla bla
And guys really sucking like Allen and Green are hardly mentioned.
I don't get it

Here's the thing, Juneauz.  A lot of people on this forum have been following this incarnation of the Celtics (and many other incarnations) for the last few years, especially closely the last 4-6 months.  They have done so with the deep seated belief that this team can win a championship.  Anything less than that will be a disappointment.  This is, for all intents and purposes, our last real shot at a title with this group.  After this year, it's lockout and then rebuilding time. 

So many people are getting really worked up and riled up and disgusted and embarrassed and ashamed because what they're seeing before their eyes is this team breaking down and falling short before they even get to the playoffs.  They're seeing happen again what they saw happen in the last half of last season leading up to the playoffs, which resulted in a loss in the Finals.  The team just ran out of gas last year.  Didn't have the legs, or the depth, or home court.  The window is closing, and #18 is slipping away.

In other words, this all may seem like a gross overreaction to one game, but the last month has been pretty brutal.  And it all appears to be a very ominous, disturbing sign of things to come.

I see what you're saying, PosImpos.
but I've been laughing and crying with the celtics just like you guys, in the last ten years. I don't miss a game, and I didn't miss one even when we were losing 20 in a row back in the days.
I'm frustrated just like you are, and I totally HATED the trade.
But what I don't get, is blaming always the same guys even when they play great, or never mention the "untachables" even when they play badly.

in the end, Danny Ainge is the one we should be really blaming for all of this.

But some guys here watch celtics games just to diss Rondo and BBD and will always do even if it makes no sense, just like today.

I think everybody just disagrees on who is to blame.  Personally, I don't believe that Danny is at fault.  I think he saw many of these issues coming ahead of time.  I think he wanted to try to address them to some degree and also attempt to put some youth in place to start creating a bridge between this group and the next.  I can't fault him for doing that. 

Just as Roy believes with much faith that the loss of Perkins is what has thrown this team into discord, I have faith in Danny.  I believe that the issues we're seeing crop up now are things that he expected to happen, and attempted to address beforehand.  I just don't think he was successful - but I don't think it was for lack of trying, or poor decision making.  I just have a feeling that this group is getting close to cooked.  Not cooked yet, but close.

Well we can at least agree he had bad timing.
He could've made these moves next year.
We had a great shot at a title, this season.
I remember this team playing great basketball a few months ago.
And when you have that, you shouldn't really think about the future.

winning NOW is the first goal

I think it's too easy to say that just because we were playing great basketball a few months ago, we would be now if the trade hadn't happened.  I can't say that I know that for sure with the ease that some other people on this sight have said it.  I can't agree with it because what I see out there on the court doesn't bear it out.  The things that are causing this team to lose are the same things that caused them to lose last year, when we had Perk.  Having Perk now and not having Green or Krstic would certainly not help with end of quarter offensive stagnation, lack of energy, getting killed on the boards, and so on. 

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #490 on: March 28, 2011, 10:07:05 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
We tried for Anthony Parker. And Battier. And every rotation caliber swingman in the league and no one bit.

I can't believe so many are falling for the late season energy conservation bit again. "fool me once" syndrome.

Are you watching this team play?? No one is conserving anything.

« Reply #491 on: March 28, 2011, 10:08:47 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

There's no way we would have been able to get Battier.  Houston got a better deal for him than we could have offered.

Why was it a "no way" deal? I'd read that we were very much in hunt to acquire Battier until Danny decided to be outsmart his brain cells...and pulled the trigger on the Krsitc and Green trade.

As jdpapa noted, look at what Houston got for Battier.  They received much more than we could have offered.  Daryl Morey and Danny Ainge are friends and former colleagues.  If there was a trade there to be made, it would have been.  Battier didn't go to Memphis because Danny decided to trade with OKC.  Daryl pulled the trigger on that trade because it was the better deal, and it happened before the Perkins trade.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #492 on: March 28, 2011, 10:08:56 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Question for those who think this has to do with the trade:

Why did this team go through the exact same thing last year? Could it be health has been the biggest problem down the stretch the last couple years? Also, what was the Celtics record with Perk this season?

Question for those who keep bringing up last year:

What was SO GREAT about last year that it has become the crutch people lean on to explain this disgusting play??

« Reply #493 on: March 28, 2011, 10:09:09 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
All u have to do.is watch doc during games. He knows this team is done. He can't reach them anymore..it is sad. When Danny couldn't get a cheap wing...he panicked. And now we as seeing it has been a fiasco

« Reply #494 on: March 28, 2011, 10:09:13 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
All the Celtics need to do is have a good cry in the lockerroom.
Thats worked wonders for the Heat.
Celtics fan for life.