Author Topic: Appreciating Smart  (Read 3612 times)

Re: Appreciating Smart
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 09:58:42 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
There's a lot of players better than Smart and Smart does some things I don't care for sometimes.  There's no other player I'd rather have on my team during crunch time, except maybe KG.

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 01:26:52 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Smart is a good role player and a great contender.  If the C's can lock him up for 5 million a year they should do it, anything more than that he can be replaced through the draft or free agency.

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 03:25:02 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I doubt that 5m/year will do it.  If Smart signs an Avery Bradley type deal, I feel that's an acceptable payment.  Something in that 8-10m per year bracket for the next 3 or 4 years.

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 01:56:40 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Smart is a good role player and a great contender.  If the C's can lock him up for 5 million a year they should do it, anything more than that he can be replaced through the draft or free agency.

Yeah, 5 is downright unrealistic. MLE starts at 8 now (although it used to be about 5.4m, which is where I guess you got your 5m estimate). Smart is well worth the MLE.

- LilRip

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 06:23:50 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
What Smart brings that the team desperately needs (and will need even more in the playoffs) is not really quantifiable.  It is his intensity and competitive desire. 

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 07:55:42 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
He's the best player ever and should get a max contract, no idea why CBS doesn't play him 40 mpg!!!

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 08:15:57 AM »

Offline Mike

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
I’d like him back, but it’s hard to commit big money to a guy who is only proficient on one end (Kyrie aside, haha).  If we can get him for around the MLE, I’d love to have him back.

If you’re Marcus’ agent, do you recommend a sub-$9 million contract, or do you have him play on his qualifying offer?

His agent is a baffoon.  He will try to get him to sign the qualifier and go elsewhere.  But it will just sour the relationship Smart values.  It also guarantees he makes less going forward because just like Thomas and Bradley, the Celtics will cut ties to save a buck, indicating to the league that the team that knows him best isn't even willing to invest in this guy so why should we pay him.  Best move in Smart's position is to take a deal for 2-3 years, make good money and work your arse off to get in a position to make a better contract before you plateau.

I'm not so sure the Celtics will cut ties to save a buck. Danny has mentioned several times that he regrets letting Tony Allen go in free agency; I see similarities here with both being gritty, defensive-minded players who contribute more to winning than what shows in the box score.

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »

Offline Jamilmac99

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
4 years 56 million right now.... RIGHT NOW!!!

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 01:13:56 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think it’s looking more likely we bring him back. We most likely won’t have a lottery pick this year to worry about that salary, and we could easily trade Morris for salary relief and maybe a future pick (somewhat not needed with Hayward coming back), and try not to bring Monroe back(although I wouldn’t mind if he stays).

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 01:15:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Yeah, 5 is downright unrealistic. MLE starts at 8 now (although it used to be about 5.4m, which is where I guess you got your 5m estimate). Smart is well worth the MLE.
The taxpayer MLE was $5.2 million this year, and will be $5.4 million next year (which is where I guess he got his estimate). This being said, someone will probably throw the nonpayer MLE at him.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 01:32:29 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I’d like him back, but it’s hard to commit big money to a guy who is only proficient on one end (Kyrie aside, haha).  If we can get him for around the MLE, I’d love to have him back.

If you’re Marcus’ agent, do you recommend a sub-$9 million contract, or do you have him play on his qualifying offer?

His agent is a baffoon.  He will try to get him to sign the qualifier and go elsewhere.  But it will just sour the relationship Smart values.  It also guarantees he makes less going forward because just like Thomas and Bradley, the Celtics will cut ties to save a buck, indicating to the league that the team that knows him best isn't even willing to invest in this guy so why should we pay him.  Best move in Smart's position is to take a deal for 2-3 years, make good money and work your arse off to get in a position to make a better contract before you plateau.

I'm not so sure the Celtics will cut ties to save a buck. Danny has mentioned several times that he regrets letting Tony Allen go in free agency; I see similarities here with both being gritty, defensive-minded players who contribute more to winning than what shows in the box score.

I believe the Celtics will find a way to keep Smart unless a blockbuster trade scenario comes into play this summer.  Some people get tired of talking about the "little things" in regards to Smart, but I agree with you that his contributions go way beyond the box score.  His intensity and defensive communication makes the entire team play with a better sense of purpose.  He also has a knack for lifting the team out a funk when needed. 

Smart is an ideal complimentary piece to go along with a core of Irving, Hayward, Tatum, Brown and Horford.  His impact will only increase as this group grows together.  I can picture him being like a Bruce Bowen, Robert Horry, Derrick Fisher, or James Posey type of player on a title team.  All of those players were instrumental in helping their team win in the playoffs.  None were easy to replace.   

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 01:38:59 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203

Which is exactly why IT got traded...and traded again  ;D
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Re-signing him has luxury tax implications going forward. Want to trigger the LT as late as possible.

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 09:21:27 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Re-signing him has luxury tax implications going forward. Want to trigger the LT as late as possible.

I think this is the sad reality that most fans are struggling to grasp... The Celtics have a two tiered system of max guys and guys on rookie contracts and no room under the cap for anyone in between. 

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2018, 11:23:41 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sa

@JaredWeissNBA
Follow Follow @JaredWeissNBA
More
Sat down for an interview with @smart_MS3 and after we’re done he just flips into a handstand and then walks on his hands away.

That putback slam and this remind you of how great an athlete he can be.

Marcus, The Warrior-Winner, Smart....let's hope the brass and he are both reasonable in their negotiations....he needs us, we need him...hope both sides see it that way!!