Author Topic: Celtics (12-16) at Pacers (21-5) Game #29 12/22  (Read 31130 times)

Re: Celtics (12-16) at Pacers (21-5) Game #29 12/22
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Difference between Bradley and Olynyk is he sucked in the league when he was 19. Bradley is only 6 months older than Olynyk and now is a top defender in the league while being a very good shooter.

Olynyk sucks when he is just 4 months shy of being 23. Big difference in my mind. If Olynyk was a 19 year old kid like Bradley and Sully was when they entered the league that would be different. But he's not. Pretty much he is what he is at this point.

I agree.

I was pretty unhappy with the pick when it happened but tried to buy into the Summer league hype.

Still think his "best case" scenario is a Spencer Hawes type player. Solid but nothing special.

Edit: I really wanted Shabazz Muhammed so I wasn't all the way right
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 08:45:18 PM by BleedGreen1989 »
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2013, 08:44:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Difference between Bradley and Olynyk is he sucked in the league when he was 19. Bradley is only 6 months older than Olynyk and now is a top defender in the league while being a very good shooter.

Olynyk sucks when he is just 4 months shy of being 23. Big difference in my mind. If Olynyk was a 19 year old kid like Bradley and Sully was when they entered the league that would be different. But he's not. Pretty much he is what he is at this point.

Using age to eval a player is wrong

If a rookie is 25, suddenly he should play like a third yr player?

They have less time to make their mark but one yr of mistakes or getting their feet wet are allowed for all rookies

Olynyk ppl forget had a unique situation in being a pg and having a crazy growth spurt. Last yr was his first yr as a center. This is his 2nd yr in total and 1st yr in the nba trying to understand and figure out how to play close to the basket.(just in general play pro ball). Give him a break.

« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2013, 08:45:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Olynyk is awful.

If Larbd33's theory on players peaking at 23 is correct, then what Olymyk is doing this year is what you should expect his whole career because he'll be 23 in April.

So that's a poor shooting, horrid defending, weak, slow tall guy that hustles his way to some rebounds and will cost your team points every time he is on the floor.
Give him another year before you give up on him.  It was an awful draft class.  He was an ok college player with limited upside.
I gave upon him on draft day. The same way I did with JR Giddens, JaJuan Johnson and Fab Melo. My only hope is Danny gives up on him before committing past next year on his contract.

There's a poster on this board quoting me in his sig stating Olynyk would be another JJJ, Jerome Moiso, Adam Morrison and others. I think he put it in his sig to make fun of me. I still stand by that quote after watching Olynyk this year.

He's just not good.
He's definitely in over his head.  I'll tell you one thing.  This is petty and ridiculous, but he needs to cut his hair.  He's too much of a bum to have an eccentric hairstyle.  I can't take him serious.  He looks like an idiot out there.

Save the eccentric hairstyle for when you're actually a relevant player.  You should be embarrassed to be known more for your lovely locks than your basketball skills.

You have unreal expectations. He is a rookie. What are bennett, cody zeller and majority of the top 15 doing also?

And tell me , who did u want to have drafted then past olynyk?

The guy needs 1 yr of experience , gain a better body and then lets judge. Tonight he still did decent with his rebounding and passing especially. He is a stretch 4 also and not a dominant defensive player. We all knew that
I don't have unrealistic expectations.  I think it was pretty clear this was a garbage draft.  Ainge himself was quick to set expectations on Oly as someone who could be a good role player some day.  No star potential.  He's a bit of a stiff.  He could have a nice career... he could out of the league in a couple years.  One of the worst draft classes ever has lived up to expectations.

The fact that this draft class was pegged as a disaster and lived up to the hype really adds to the credibility of this upcoming "transcendent" draft coming up.  There's some stars comin.

« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2013, 08:47:09 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I agree.

I was pretty unhappy with the pick when it happened but tried to buy into the Summer league hype.

Still think his "best case" scenario is a Spencer Hawes type player. Solid but nothing special.
I thoughtt olynyk was going to be a hansborough type, but he is really soft

Wanted Danny to draft giannis, he has a chance to be special

« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2013, 08:51:34 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

They have less time to make their mark but one yr of mistakes or getting their feet wet are allowed for all rookies

Olynyk ppl forget had a unique situation in being a pg and having a crazy growth spurt. Last yr was his first yr as a center. This is his 2nd yr in total and 1st yr in the nba trying to understand and figure out how to play close to the basket.(just in general play pro ball). Give him a break.

KO came into the league with the reputation of a good shooter.  Obviously that is no the case at the moment, but can't deny the 6pts a game he gives you just by making a great pass and collecting the assist.  That, I didn't know he had.  He is rebounding the ball better, not great but just as good/bad as Bass.  So the knock is his defense and shooting.  His shooting will come around, and as long as he learns team defense...he/we should be ok with the pick.

« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2013, 08:53:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
We need a big losing streak.  We're only 1.5 games out of a Top 8 pick.  Freakin Atlantic Division is going to ruin the whole plan for the year.  Time to dump Bass, Lee, Green for expiring contracts.

« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2013, 08:58:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

KO came into the league with the reputation of a good shooter.  Obviously that is no the case at the moment, but can't deny the 6pts a game he gives you just by making a great pass and collecting the assist.  That, I didn't know he had.  He is rebounding the ball better, not great but just as good/bad as Bass.  So the knock is his defense and shooting.  His shooting will come around, and as long as he learns team defense...he/we should be ok with the pick.

Olynyk had a good rep as a good shooter for a PF or Center. Not a good or great shooter in general.

Also like i said it is extremely unfair to want him to be a traditional Center defender.  He going to be closer to a defender that Nowitzki is vs Chandler or Asik. Maybe he still might but i doubt he will be.

« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2013, 09:03:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Awwww... Toronto was winning at half, but now they are down 10.  So much for the Raptors taking the top of the Atlantic from us.  :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBWQCHb95rg

« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2013, 09:06:40 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Olynyk had a good rep as a good shooter for a PF or Center. Not a good or great shooter in general.

Also like i said it is extremely unfair to want him to be a traditional Center defender.  He going to be closer to a defender that Nowitzki is vs Chandler or Asik. Maybe he still might but i doubt he will be.

I don't even consider Olynyk a center. He's a 4 all the way to me but he'll likely get exposed defensively anywhere you put him on the court.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2013, 09:12:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I don't even consider Olynyk a center. He's a 4 all the way to me but he'll likely get exposed defensively anywhere you put him on the court.

i disagree.  Which PF has dominated Olynyk this year?

It's when stevens forces Olynyk against guys like Gasol, Pekovic , Hibbert, that he has had trouble

« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2013, 09:21:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It's when stevens forces Olynyk against guys like Gasol, Pekovic , Hibbert, that he has had trouble
I know +/- stats aren't the best but Olynyk has some of the worst +/- stats in the league and usually the players with the worst +/- stats in the league are getting dominated by just about anyone who plays against them.

« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2013, 09:30:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Rondo says he's not coming back in January.  Come on... TANK!!!!  http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/231186/Rajon-Rondo-Return-In-January-Isnt-Realistic

« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2013, 09:41:37 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Rondo says he's not coming back in January.  Come on... TANK!!!!  http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/231186/Rajon-Rondo-Return-In-January-Isnt-Realistic

And the Raptors came back to win.

Edit: The relevance being about dropping in the standings.

« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2013, 09:45:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I know +/- stats aren't the best but Olynyk has some of the worst +/- stats in the league and usually the players with the worst +/- stats in the league are getting dominated by just about anyone who plays against them.

He has not got dominated by his own guy (a nba pf). Maybe a few times but in general no. If he is on the court with other guys that are not doing their job, he can't save them either

and this is where ppl are mad at him.

He is going to be fine. Remember he is also coming back from an ankle injury and just getting warmed up.  He should be out there with Sullinger or Faverani more and not Bass or Humphries

« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2013, 09:50:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

He has not got dominated by his own guy (a nba pf). Maybe a few times but in general no. If he is on the court with other guys that are not doing their job, he can't save them either

and this is where ppl are mad at him.

He is going to be fine. Remember he is also coming back from an ankle injury and just getting warmed up.  He should be out there with Sullinger or Faverani more and not Bass or Humphries
Let me just state now I completely disagree with just about everything you say regarding Olynyk and leave it at that and agree to disagree. If in three years he is still in the league in a Bargani type career, well, good for him and you will be right about him and I will happily say I am wrong.

I just hope if he is out of the league in a year or two you will be big enough to admit you were all wrong about him.