Author Topic: Gordon's recovery  (Read 3723 times)

Re: Gordon's recovery
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 12:31:39 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
lack of agressivness. He didn't forget to play, he's just still not comfortable. Question is only if he is gonna feel that again?

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 01:28:49 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
You wonder if Gordon will be happy here if it turns out that Tatum is very clearly our second best scorer (and maybe player overall) by the time all this smoke clears. I think Hayward would be ok as a role player on this team but I think it will be tough.
You don't pay role players $30 million a season. Right now they have to suck it up and ease him back. The fact that Brad continues to give him 25 mpg, has him on the floor at crunch time and had him play back to backs last week to me indicates that all is sound healthwise and they just need to be patient with him.

Personally I think he's getting more comfortable and his athleticism is about where it probably should be given that he had 2 surgeries.  I just think his timing is way off still. He's been missing shots he normally makes. His D I thought was weak over the first few games but has been improving.

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 01:51:39 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
You wonder if Gordon will be happy here if it turns out that Tatum is very clearly our second best scorer (and maybe player overall) by the time all this smoke clears. I think Hayward would be ok as a role player on this team but I think it will be tough.

How about we actually let Tatum develop into that type of player instead of just declaring him the 2nd best anything. His shot selection is terrible this season and his defense has regressed. Is a super talented? Absolutely. But I think all the hype has gotten to him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 03:03:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
mean while back at the ranch , Celtics are a sinking ship

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 03:45:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

How about we actually let Tatum develop into that type of player instead of just declaring him the 2nd best anything. His shot selection is terrible this season and his defense has regressed. Is a super talented? Absolutely. But I think all the hype has gotten to him.
People after one game declaring that this was Tatum's team already comes to mind, lol.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 04:04:21 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm not declaring anything, this is just a 'what if?' more than anything else and speaks more to the depth of this team. If playoff Tatum starts emerging while Hayward continues to come back from his injury I'm just saying there could be more struggles to figure out who fits in where and what's the best direction to take the team.

It's just interesting that when Hayward signed with us he thought he was going to be the star of this team next to IT. Then the Kyrie trade happened, then the Hayward ankle injury happened letting Tatum and Brown develop at an accelerated pace. Then Kyrie went out for the season leading to Tatum and Brown (and Horford/Rozier) leading the Celts to the ECF. Also Tatum scoring 20+ points in many consecutive playoff games as a 20 y/o rookie (can't remember exactly how many games).

So at this point the pecking order isn't so obvious, especially by the end of the season.

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 04:15:55 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

If it comes to that, and he's not happy, then I'm sure he will have to deal with it or be moved. Just the way things are in the NBA.

Just like any rookie he's inconsistent. In 13 games this season he's scored:

20+ pts - 5 times with a high score of 27
15 - 20 pts - 3 times
10 - 14 pts - 2 times
Less than 10 - 3 times with a low of 4

Pretty big standard deviation there. He just needs to learn to be more consistent, that's what separates the good players from the really good and great ones. You can rely on them to be money every night.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 04:36:18 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2018, 12:07:32 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
The tough thing to balance is that to beat Toronto, Milwaukee, maybe Philly now, and definitely Golden State is that we really need our current players playing at a high level; for Hayward that means at least 85% of his former all around self; right now he is well below that on defense and shooting/scoring. So the trick is balancing what will help speed him back to better effectiveness while balancing playoff seeding, development of Brown, Tatum, Rozier, as well as avoiding resentment from those guys as they see this 60% imitation of a player taking up their shots and playing time, and crunch time. We will see. I'm sure Brad has a plan. But perhaps if there is not obvious improvement from Hayward by game 20, maybe he goes to the bench, takes a 20% reduction in playing time, and Smart slots into the starting lineup, with Brown and Tatum getting more creating chances.

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 08:29:17 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

If it comes to that, and he's not happy, then I'm sure he will have to deal with it or be moved. Just the way things are in the NBA.

15 - 20 pts - 3 times
10 - 14 pts - 2 times

Pretty big standard deviation there. He just needs to learn to be more consistent, that's what separates the good players from the really good and great ones. You can rely on them to be money every night.

But he's not a rookie.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2018, 10:36:23 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Not for tonight. Gino was a sight for sore eyes. The Bulls are a tomato can, and we did what we’re supposed to. Next! More!!

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 11:08:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Not for tonight. Gino was a sight for sore eyes. The Bulls are a tomato can, and we did what we’re supposed to. Next! More!!
Playing as expected is such a refreshing sight 
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 01:20:35 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

15 - 20 pts - 3 times
10 - 14 pts - 2 times

But he's not a rookie.

I meant to say player coming off his rookie year

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 02:38:16 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
He just looks out of basketball shape. Not being able to play 5-on-5 for an entire year, the majority of which you couldn’t run at all, will take anyone out of game shape.

People tend to overlook the second surgery and how that set him back even further.

I think it’s a combination of mental (even his free throws are lowest since rookie year) and being out of NBA shape. While I did not watch him regularly in Utah, I saw him just about every game he played against us and I don’t recall him looking routinely winded like he does now.

People can knock his athleticism right now. But supposedly the guy was capable of being a professional tennis player, he was that good.

He will get there, people need to be patient. He hasn’t even been playing NBA basketball for a month, and he still doesn’t have his regular PT to get into rhythm. Thought it was good to get him in there in garbage time to run the offense for a bit.

He even said his explosiveness wasn’t there to start the season, it’ll get there.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 06:47:42 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
He just looks out of basketball shape. Not being able to play 5-on-5 for an entire year, the majority of which you couldn’t run at all, will take anyone out of game shape.

People tend to overlook the second surgery and how that set him back even further.

I think it’s a combination of mental (even his free throws are lowest since rookie year) and being out of NBA shape. While I did not watch him regularly in Utah, I saw him just about every game he played against us and I don’t recall him looking routinely winded like he does now.

People can knock his athleticism right now. But supposedly the guy was capable of being a professional tennis player, he was that good.

He will get there, people need to be patient. He hasn’t even been playing NBA basketball for a month, and he still doesn’t have his regular PT to get into rhythm. Thought it was good to get him in there in garbage time to run the offense for a bit.

He even said his explosiveness wasn’t there to start the season, it’ll get there.

He's also been taken off his minutes restriction. I'm sure that was frustrating given he probably had to play shorter spells. Well he will get his chance to settle in hopefully since we're playing lottery teams for the most part for the next couple of weeks.

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 08:20:50 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Brad is trying to get Hayward healthy but he is really hard to watch as his teammates keep playing like it's OK.At this point he can drive and kick it out or be a play maker-he doesn't trust getting caught in air on offense-i have been there -the vulnerability and potential of landing on a foot.He can't hit three's ,blows layups
 It is sad to watch and his teammates endure knowing it's a process but if you can't trust him for a corner three or a break away or a backdoor cut.Instinct suffers, as you have to think not just react.And there goes the timing and chemistry.