Author Topic: 2012 CB Draft NW Division Press Conferences  (Read 33166 times)

2012 CB Draft NW Division Press Conferences
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:49:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Here, each of the GMs representing a team in the Atlantic Division will provide an introduction / summary of their team, draft strategy, etc.  Other members should ask questions (directed to one or more GMs), and those GMs should attempt to answer the questions as well as they can.

For those participating, the opening blurbs can include some or all of the following:

1. Roster / depth chart
2. Statistics
3. Pictures
4. Statement regarding drafting philosophy (building for the future, contending now, etc.)
5. Toughest decision
6. Best move (trade, pick, etc.) / worst move
7. Your outlook for this coming season

It can be as substantial or as abbreviated as you want it to be.  These threads are open to all members, not just those posters who participated in the draft.  The more participation we get, the better.

==============================================================

Denver Nuggets: GreenFaith1819

Oklahoma City Thunder: celticpride07

Portland Trailblazers: jgod213

Utah Jazzhands: Who
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:03:13 AM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: 2012 CB Draft NW Division Press Conferences (For Construction Only)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 10:03:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
you guys get that if you're in the northwest division, you're supposed to put your post here now and edit it to become your presser, right?

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 10:05:41 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
2012 CB OKC Thunder

Roster:
Pg: Mario Chalmers, Greivis Vasquez, Jimmer Fredette
Sg: Tyreke Evans, Kevin Martin
Sf:  Caron Butler, Richard Jefferson
Pf: Andrea Bargnani, Tyler hansbrough,Markieff Morris
C:  Andrew Bynum, Chris Kaman,Kendrick Perkins

Head coach: Scott Brooks

Rotation:

PG: Chalmers(30), Vasquez(12), Evans(6)
SG: Evans(26), Martin(22)
SF: Butler (22), Jefferson(16),Martin(10)
PF: Bargnani(30),Hansbrough(12) Kaman(6)
C:   Bynum(30), Perkins(12), Kaman(6)

Reserves:
Jimmer fredette
Markieff Morris

Gameplan:

Our plan is to play with tyreke Evans handling the ball mostly. Mario can bring the ball up the court which is fine. Butler and bargnani spread the floor and are capable distance shooters from three. We like the idea of Bynum being a post beast with him being option 1. If Bynum is double team he can kick it out to an open shooter, all of which can shoot threes. We like tyrekes point guard resume and how he can create for other players.
Defensively we will be throwing huge bodies at the centers in our division ( Dwight). We plan on shutting him down.

Toughest decision: trading Blake griffin for depth.

P.S.  I'm working all day Monday so I'll answer questions when I can.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:02:23 AM by celticpride07 »
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 10:17:44 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
Utah Jazz

PG: Deron Williams, Rodney Stuckey, Will Bynum
SG: Gordon Hayward, JJ Redick, Anthony Morrow
SF: Danilo Gallinari, Ronnie Brewer
PF: Zach Randolph, Andrei Kirilenko, Boris Diaw
C:  Omer Asik, Kosta Koufos

Overseas Player: Nikola Mirotic
Head Coach: Stan Van Gundy

Team Roles

When building the team, I ended up with Deron Williams and Zach Randolph with my first two picks. So being the Utah Jazz, I went with the theme and tried to look for guys (or players with similar skill-sets) who had fitted in well in Utah's past teams built around Deron and Boozer + Stockton and Karl Malone.

The third pick was Danilo Gallinari. Not wild about Gallo but he is a solid defender and will make a very good third option behind Z-Bo and Deron. Gallinari is sort of like my team's Hornacek. The next pick was Andrei Kirilenko and I have him listed as my 6th man and backup PF. That was the role I always wanted Utah to move him into after acquiring Boozer. A lot less effective at SF than PF.

I also wanted the Jazz to trade to Okur for a more defensive orientated center to help with their interior defense. That brought in Omer Asik. Kind of like an improved Greg Ostertag (improved = more mobility, defensive range than Ostertag).

I also thought Kirilenko worked brilliantly alongside a guy like Ostertag and that his departure back in 2003 (or something like that) was one of the big reasons why Utah had a big downturn the next year (leading to the Deron Williams draft pick) after finishing .500 the year prior. Having a big bodied defensive center + an undersized quick power forward like Kirilenko is a combination that works really well.

I consider Omer Asik a high level defender/rebounder but also one of the worst offensive players in the league at his position. So I tried to counter-balance that with added offensive emphasis in my starting lineup by playing Deron, Z-Bo plus Gallo and G.Hayward together rather than putting in a limited offense defensive stopper type (like Ronnie Brewer) + by having a very skilled backup big man (Kirilenko) on my bench who can come in and add to the offense where necessary.

Gordon Hayward was my pick in the fifth round. I think he is coming along nicely for Utah and is on his way to establishing himself as a top ten SG in the league (which I expect to accomplish next season). After the All-Star break, Hayward was up around 14ppg on 60% TS% along with 4rpg and 3apg in 33mpg.

I think Hayward can become a highly efficient 15-17ppg guy with 4-5 rebounds, 3-4 assists along with good defense at the two guard position. Above average ball-handling and passing. I consider him more of a big two than a small three because he gets overpowered too easily at SF. He fares better defensively as a two. Offensively, he does well at both positions. On my team, Hayward will be the fourth option so he'll probably be closer to the 13-14ppg range.

I am very happy with my bench. I think it's one of the strongest bench units in the league.

Rodney Stuckey was my next pick and seventh man. A good shot-creator and defender/rebounder. A combo-guard with good size at a thick 6-5. Causes matchup problems.

Ronnie Brewer was my next pick. A big two guard with elite athleticism who showed in Chicago that he was capable of defending the SF very well also. Has developed himself into an elite defensive player. A solid rebounder. Offensively, has a dodgy jumper and can't create his own shot but his movement off the ball is (cutting) and transition play is excellent. Another former Jazz player who is filling the role he was growing into in Utah before cost-cutting measures got him shipped off.

JJ Redick and Anthony Morrow round out my wing rotation. Redick is a very good backup SG and Morrow an middle of the pack backup SG.  Morrow was meant to my team's version of Kyle Korver. Then Redick came along and gave me a better version Korver. Both are elite shooters. Redick also brings added ball-handling and passing skills plus he is a little better defensively (than Morrow). I like having two SGs like Redick and Hayward who are not only efficient scorers/shooters but also strong ball-handlers / passers.

Andrei Kirilenko is my 6th man as described above. He will be the first choice for big man minutes but that can also leave my frontline undersized at times so I looked to add two bigs who can help alleviate those issues when appropriate. Those two players are Boris Diaw and Kosta Koufos.

Diaw gives me a very skilled PF who can dribble, pass and shoot the ball. Relative to AK-47, what Diaw adds is a thick body. Someone who can better bang in the post against some of the bigger bodies. If Kirilenko's skinny frame becomes overly problematic, I can turn to Diaw to step in + keep an offensively skilled guy out there alongside Z-Bo or a limited center.

Kosta Koufos is a big body at 7-0 260lbs. He came along nicely last season for Denver. He was very efficient offensively and showed a good range of moves (finishing wise) around the basket. A very strong rebounder who posted a 19% rebounding rate. Good for 11.7 rebounds per 36 minutes. In the 16.5 minutes Koufos played, he contributed 5.5 boards and 5.5 points on 60% shooting. Non-passer. Plus, Koufos also got to play in Utah for a short while early in his career which I liked.

And then there is Will Bynum. A very athletic pint-sized PG who brings ample dribble penetration and pressure defense to the table. A solid scorer and playmaker. One of the more capable third string PGs in the league.

Stan Van Gundy is the Head Coach. I think he is firmly a top ten coach in the NBA. Arguably top 6-7. A very creative offensive coach with strong defensive principles.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:45:19 AM by Who »

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 10:47:02 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS
KEPP PORTLAND WEIRD, AND ALSO GIVE US A HIGH SEED

Roster:

BLAZER Rotation
Player(minutes)

Point Guard: Ricky Rubio (30), Beno Udrih (12), Brandon Knight (6)
Shooting Guard: Joe Johnson (29), Marco Belinelli (15), Brandon Knight (4)
Small Forward: Wilson Chandler (25), Matt Barnes (16), Joe Johnson (5), Marco Belinelli (2)
Power Forward: Paul Millsap (30), Matt Bonner (13), Wilson Chandler (5)
Center: Dwight Howard (35), Chuck Hayes (13),

Reserves: Villanueva, McRoberts

Head Coach: Erik Spoelstra

I want to ease Rubio and Howard back into the season early, come playoff time the rotation will be shortened considerably and they will be required to ramp it up.  This lineup also has a lot of fluidity to it

as Johnson, Chandler, Belinelli, and Knight will all be shifting around between multiple positions for situationals.  A small ball lineup can be utilized using a 3-guard rotation in Rubio/Knight/Johnson with Chandler bumping up to the 4 if we're trying to up the tempo.  In a shooting situational Belinelli can be bumped to the 1 or the 3.

Positional Breakdown/Outlook:

PG:

Before being sidelined with injury, Rubio was dazzling the NBA with his pure-point skills and smooth transition from overseas.  Despite hitting the rookie wall a bit, Rubio ended his season ranked 6th in assists/game, and amongst PGs finished t-6th in total rebounds/game, 2nd in steals/game, and 1st in DEF rating (blocks+steals+charges).  Here are a few more factoids to wet your whistle…

In games Rubio played this season, the Timberwolves were 21-20 and had a chance to make the playoffs for the first time since 2004. Without him, the Timberwolves lost 20 of their final 25 games and finished last place in the Northwest Division.

With Rubio off the court, the Timberwolves were 7.1 points worse per 48 minutes. The Timberwolves offense wasn’t affected as much as their defense was without Rubio. They scored 1.4 more points and allowed 5.7 fewer points per 48 minutes with Rubio on the court

Rubio was known as a closer because as the game went on, he got better. When his season came to an end, his 71 fourth-quarter assists were the most of any player in the NBA, rookie or not.

But Rubio's impact was about more than just passing. Rubio notched 12 games with at least 10 points and 10 assists, trailing only Steve Nash and Deron Williams just prior to injury.

Had he finished the season with enough games to qualify, Rubio's season averages (10.6 PPG, 8.2 APG, 2.2 SPG) would have put him with Phil Ford, Mark Jackson and Tim Hardaway as just the fourth rookie in NBA history to reach those season thresholds.

Despite the consensus being that Rubio will return for training camp, the Blazers will be cautious with his minutes and will keep him limited early.  His injury should not keep him from doing any of the things he did last season, though the Blazers do regret that Rubio didn’t have a chance to better his game over the summer, a more consistent jump shot is all that is keeping him out of elite PG status at just 21 years old.  The minutes reduction will be filled by Beno Udrih, who is of similar style, and Brandon Knight, who compliments the group as more of a scoring PG.

SG:

The Silent Assassin will man the 2-spot.  We all know what Joe Johnson is capable of – one of the best iso players in the league, knock down shooter, excellent in the p&r and in the post, but what’s often overlooked is Johnson’s defense. Synergy ranks Joe 7th and 4th in iso and post-defense, respectively.  All of these numbers leave no shadow of a doubt that Johnson is a multifaceted weapon and star player, but what seperates him from the pack is what he does when the game is on the line. The man is CLUTCH.
Clutch, as defined by NBA.com, is player performance in the last five minutes of games when the score margin is within five points.

When you check out his clutch numbers, everything in the scoring area has gone up, from traditional shooting percentage (49 percent from 43) to all advanced metrics, Joe improves in the last five minutes of games.

His usage goes up, from 27 percent to 36 percent and his offensive rating increases also (113.8 from 101. 8), without any incline in defensive rating (96.5 from 96.7), leaving his net efficiency even higher in the clutch.

Turnovers down, as is everything that is not associated with scoring -- apparently CLUTCH time is Joe's time with the ball as rebounding and assist rate drop as his scoring/offensive efficiency increase.

Comparatively, Joe surpassed many of the players who today we consider the “finishers” of the league.  I did a quick search of the league’s top scorers and their clutch numbers, and only Pierce and Gay could tout numbers as gaudy as Joe’s.  Durant (39/33/88), Kobe (36/29/82), Lebron (45/39/71), Dirk (34/30/95), Westbrook (42/35/92), Wade (42/20/67), Melo (38/36/71), Paul (42/21/96) – none of them come close to touching Joe’s clutch numbers of 45% fg, 52% 3pt, 91% ft.  Bottom line is, the Blazers have a bonafide finisher, something that other teams with “stars” don’t necessarily have.

Johnson’s primary backup is Marco Belinelli, who will absolutely feast on open looks when in the game with Howard.  Brandon Knight will also see time at the 2 when we look for playmaking off the bench.

SF:

What can we say for Wilson Chandler other than last season was a mulligan for him.  He joined the Nuggets at the end of the season for 8 games after coming back from China.  Considering how consistent his numbers have been prior to last year’s nutty season, I think they’re fair to bring up.  Chandler posted lines of 15pt/5reb 45%/35%/80% in 2010-2011.  Before he left NY, he had improved each consecutive year, including career highs in pts, rebs, blocks, ft%, 3pt %.
His 2010-11 shot blocking numbers would have put hims at ~20th in nba this past season.  Taking into account that he has a defined role, is in his prime, and is essentially a 4th option as a scorer, the Blazers have no doubt that Chandler can get back to, if not exceed his numbers from NY – at least in terms of efficiency.  43%, 35%, 80% shooting numbers should be his basement.

As far as his role on this team, Chandler will be expected to knock down open jumpers, provide speed and athleticism, and cause havoc defensively with his length.  During Chandler’s last full season, he held opponents to sub-10 PER (+5 net) when playing SF, and was 2nd on NY in PER, where he outplayed opponents at 3 different positions.  The luxury of having a player at his ability that can play the 2, 3, and 4 is an outstanding asset for a team without a ton of depth.

There are numerous options to spell Chandler at the 3.  Millsap has played well there in the past, Joe Johnson has much experience there as well, but the primary backup will be Matt Barnes, who will help infuse an attitude into the club.  We all know how important a little swagger is around here when it comes to defense.

PF:

Paul Millsap is one of those overlooked players in the league, especially here on celticsblog.  As a poster stated early in this process, he’s just one of those guys that doesn’t garner a lot of enthusiasm when one thinks about today’s top players.  The numbers don’t share this POV. 

Millsap is an absolute stud rebounder - he converts his putbacks off of offensive rebound opportunities 66% of the time, good for 10th in the league. He ranked 3rd in steals, 7th in steal percentage, and was the only player in the top 20 of that list who wasn't a wing or PG.

Advanced statistics also can’t get enough ‘Sap.  Basketballvalue.com has him ranked 4th, and Win Shares has him 14th overall. These are important stats: they seek to totally measure a player's ability on the floor, rather than one small aspect of it.

Pairing him next to a monster like Howard means that Millsap will get a lot of open looks off of double teams and slow rotations.  He will be asked to set a lot of screens for our wings, as well as run the occasional p&r game with Rubio.  Millsap will also get a lot of looks off of offensive rebounds, where he has a knack for making plays.  His knowledge of playing with a big post-player in Utah will make the transition of him playing next to the best center in the game extremely easy & beneficial to both parties.

Backing Millsap will be Matt Bonner, who is one of the best spot-up shooters in today’s game.  When the floor needs a little extra spacing, Bonner will be there to catch open looks off of Howard-doubles.  Wilson Chandler will also see time here, where he has fared very well over his career.

C:

Dwight Howard.  Once in a generation center.  Best rebounded and defender in the game.  PER is always top 10.  Best P&R man in the game.  So many things to pontificate about here.  Look we all know who Dwight Howard is – when he’s not trying to force his way out of Orlando he is a nightmare for opposing centers and singlehandedly will change a game defensively.  Howard is going to run a ton of high pick and rolls with Ricky Rubio.  All of the ensuing chaos in the paint will lead to outstanding looks for our shooters, as last year Rubio was tied with Deron Williams for first in assists that lead to 3-pointers made.  Rubio is already a better pick and roll player than Jameer Nelson, and his ability to use his body to his advantage will lead to many easy finishes for both players.

Backing Howard will be Chuck Hayes, who is an extremely capable post defender with good lateral quickness to defendface-ups as well.  His hardwork and effort will keep our defense functioning even while Howard gets a blow. 

Defensively, the scheme will revolve around Dwight and utilize what worked in Orlando – namely Portland will place a premium on chasing shooters off the 3-point line and over the top of picks.  These wing defenders will stay at home on the perimeter because they have a very large man with very broad shoulders manning the basket area and cleaning up any blow-bys that might occur.  Portland fields better athletes and defensive players at every position when compared to Orlando.  This will be by far the best defensive surroundings Dwight has ever played with and he will thrive.

Why it all works:

I’m handing Erik Spoelstra what he’s already had in Miami.  I’m giving him the ingredients to yet another Championship ring.  The most dominant player at his position? Check.  A co-superstar who is a deadly finisher? Check. 

Add to that 3 complimentary pieces that are all borderline all-stars.  This team’s roster not only compliments itself well, there’s just so much to like both offensively and defensively.  All of these starters are excellent, yet none of them have ever played in such a potent lineup.  It's my opinion that a starting 5 that's as versatile and talented as mine will more than make up for a patch-work bench.  My starting 5 can match up with and beat any starting 5 assembled here, and in the end talent wins out.  The Blazers cannot be contained by anyone in the Northwest and I anticipate a very deep playoff run with a high chance at a finals appearance.  This is Dwight Howard’s envisioned dream.  He has his championship team.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:22:07 PM by jgod213 »

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Your CelticsBlog Summer Draft 2012 Denver Nuggets:

Coached by Lionel Hollins. Since his first full season as Head Coach of the Memphis Grizzlies, his regular season coaching record is 556%. His Playoff coaching record is 500, with his 2010-11 Memphis Grizzlies making it all the way to the Western Conference Semi-finals.

Roster and minutes breakdown:
[/u][/b]

PG - Mike Conley(33) / Nate Robinson(10) / Gary Neal(5)
SG - O.J. Mayo(34) / Gary Neal(14)
SF - Trevor Ariza(24) / Kyle Korver(16) / Chris Singleton(Eight)
PF - Carlos Boozer(32) / Marreese Speights(Eight) / Andrew Nicholson(Eight)
C - Kevin Garnett(30) / Zaza Pachulia(10) / Meyers Leonard(Eight)

Team Strategy and Discussion:

We were VERY fortunate as a team to be able to acquire Lionel Hollins as our coach, because he easily stamps his identity on this team. His focus is on defense, efficiency, toughness, and rebounding, which our Team afford us a LOT of.

Lionel Hollins also brings over his starting PG of the last few years in Mike Conley. Mike is easily a top 8 PG in the league, and was WIDELY sought out with numerous trade requests to the GM.

Mike Conley is one of the most complete PGs in the NBA, averaging roughly 13 pts, nearly 7 assists, OVER TWO steals, and 2.5 rebs per game. He shot over 43% from the field and nearly 38% from deep last season as perhaps the 4th option on offense.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/conlemi01.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DgI19j4j2E

Mike Conley is as steady a performer as they come, especially since he only made 6.6 mil last year. His game will demand constant attention, being that opposing defenses just can't sag off of him.

Coach Hollins is ready to reward former MEM bench offensive sparkplug O.J. Mayo with a starting job. He will get plenty of touches, and his few weaknesses (his FG%), will be covered by the fact that he will FINALLY get the touches he wants AND the fact that he is still a deep threat (36% from deep last season, 37% for career).

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mayooj01.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up7o44sywGA

O.J. touches will hover right around his 08-09/09-10 levels, where he averaged a little less than 15 attempts and roughly 7 makes.

The rub with O.J. is that "he wasn't good enough to start in MEM." I received this argument from some GMs attempting to pry him from me. While this is only partly true, the fact of the matter is that Tony Allen plays stellar defense. The THEN Memphis team focus was on keeping Rudy-Marc-ZBo happy with touches. This subsequently left Mike Conley with the ball much of the time, and the leftover touches with OJ (as the starter).

For better Team balance, it was better to bring Mayo off the bench as an offensive sparkplug after Tony Allen arrived in MEM.

T.A. added to the defensive and offensive rythym of the Real MEM teams - in that he didn't need or require touches to be effective, and this left him as the 5th option on offense, which suits him well.

As good as T.A. is defensively, he has only improved marginally as an offensive threat since he left BOS.

In THIS fantasy format O.J. will be one of the primary scorers.

Lionel Hollins was estatic to know that he would be coaching the GREAT Kevin Garnett as Center. Lionel, being a close friend of Doc Rivers, agrees that Kevin needs to be kept fresh for the playoffs, and subsequently his numbers will hover right around 28-30 per game.

As evidenced below, the Old Dog still has something left in the tank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kITGVIV8eIc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BUHk-HhHTs

Kevin Garnett stamps his Leadership, Team-First mentality, versatility (plays Center, but can switch out and still play PF in stretches), his DEFENSE, and his Championship Experience on this team. He will be the 3rd option on offense most nights. His career stats below:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/garneke01.html

Besides his Time Machine-like performance last year, the one stat that sticks out for me the most is his STELLAR passing. This will benefit Carlos Boozer, our starting PF, the most.

Carlos Boozer was EASILY my toughest DRAFT Decision. I recalled from monitoring PREVIOUS CelticsBlog Drafts that he was NOT liked much here on the Blog - at ALL. This was even prior to his alleged drop-off in performance last season.

But as I looked closely at his stats - his rebounding, his scoring, how he fits into a Team-first mentality, how he plays his role well - I realized that playing alongside KG AND playing with a steady (and healthy) PG in Mike Conley will boost his production. Carlos Boozer, while not the quickest Big, still defends most Centers VERY well. I didn't really understand this until I looked closely at his size and strength, and compared him to how the Great Karl Malone used his own size to keep bigs out of sinc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsg4UPW1z8A&playnext=1&list=PLE2A0C2A69AC8E47F&feature=results_main

In judging Boozer, I expect others to look closely at the fact that the vast majority of Bigs that Kevin Garnett has worked alongside over the years (Rasho Nesterovic, Kendrick Perkins, Brandon Bass, Jermaine O'Neal, Shaquille O'Neal) have IMPROVED or looked GREAT working alongside him.

Boozer's stats below:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/boozeca01.html

Boozer and KG will be FINE in this fantasy format. They can both post, play pick and roll and pop, hit their free throws and shoot well fromt the field in this format. On defense, KG/Boozer can guard nearly ALL NBA Centers, and KG can guard most NBA PFs...the only true concern on defense with my Bigs is that players like Bosh could have a slight advantage due to his quickness and size, but that is a small advantage.

KG and Boozer brings me to the fact that I'm very happy to have drafted TWO EXPERIENCED Bigs coming in to spell them both. Zaza Pachulia AND Marreese Speights played well as starters for MEM and ATL last season. They both played  within their roles, and put up solid numbers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-3SzZJmpsM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pachuza01.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUTJXpgY2iI&feature=related

As you can see in the above highlights with Speights, he scored 15 pts in this road win vs MIA, and the announcers spoke well of him and how good it was for MEM to pick him up.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/speigma01.html

Our starting SF, Trevor Ariza, brings us good size and athleticism on the wings, being that he is 6'8". He will give most SFs and SGs problems with his length. He is a good facilitator (3.0 assist per game) and is a decent deep threat at 33%. He shot nearly 42% from the field last season, which isn't great, BUT: Trevor Ariza averaged nearly 2 steals and nearly 1 block at the SF position last season in 32 min. Trevor did this WITHOUT CP3 and with various Guard rotations in NOH last season.

In Denver, in THIS format, Trevor will fit in VERY WELL. He will be the 5th option on offense on most nights, and will guard most SFs and some Gs well. If you ignore him on offense, he can distribute the ball easily to his teammates and be a help defender as well as provide some explosive offense:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/arizatr01.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUiT_0E_xx8

I LOVE our versatility at the SF position, in that we were able to draft Perrinial Deep Threat Kyle Korver AND Defensive Specialist Chris Singleton. Kyle shot over 43% from deep last season and will make defenses pay and adjust to him while he's on the floor. He also averaged 2.4 rebs and nearly 2 assists in limited minutes.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/korveky01.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX3uDWuiEVw

KG, Conley, Trevor and Mayo will LOVE looking for Korver while he's open - especially KG/Conley and Trevor. Those three are excellent passers.

Chris Singleton will see limited time being that he will be entering his 2nd NBA season, but when he IS on the floor, his presence will be known:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN0VQWyUOQs

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/singlch01.html

Chris Singleton will make his presence known on the defensive end, in that he has the size, speed and length to guard SFs, SGs and some PFs.

Our backup PGs and SGs, Nate Robinson and Gary Neal, will bring experience, Defense, and steady play when they are on the court spelling Conley and Mayo. Nate Robinson has playoff experience with the Boston Celtics and Gary Neal has playoff experience with the San Antonio Spurs.

Nate Robinson's ENERGY will be infectious with the entire team, and we won't miss much at all being that he is experienced.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/robinna01.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu78AmF1ea4

NATE!

And Gary Neal will keep opposing benches occupied, in that he shot nearly 44% from the field AND over 41% from deep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15pn6iZXCQs

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nealga01.html

Both Nate AND Gary Neal bring playoff experience, savvy, and Team-First mentalities to this team. Gary Neal is an integral part of the REAL Spurs team, and Nate Robinson played his way onto the Chicago Bulls roster next season.

Last, but certainly not least, are our two rookies, Meyers Leonard and Andrew Nicholson. We feel that BOTH of these players will see good PT next season, and will push for extended playing time with the need to keep KG fresh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tDncBtSoQw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZM-6Svi9Ns&feature=related

They are BOTH talented and have considerable skills both on offense and defense. and they have a great system and teammates in front of them to learn from.

THANK YOU, Commisioner Wdleehi and IP, for the opportunity to play in This Summer Draft. I have enjoyed the experience, for the most part.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:11:52 AM by GreenFaith1819 »

Re: 2012 CB Draft NW Division Press Conferences
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
OKC: I think in theory the fit for Tyreke Evans and Bargnani are passable, even good in Evans' case, but both players had bad years and seemed to get worse. Why are they going to play better for you?

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 12:58:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Looks like everyone forgot this division.  This team could conceivably have four playoff teams.

Question for everyone:  I currently have the division ranked: 1. Portland 2. Utah 3. Denver 4. Oklahoma City.  Tell me why I'm wrong (or right).

Utah:  Zach Randolph had a very poor year last year.  Was that solely injury related?  If Randolph doesn't produce like a star, what's your team's outlook?

Denver:  Why will Conley and Mayo look better on your team than in "real life"?  Boozer and KG are both best defending centers at this point in their career; how are they going to decide defensive assignments?

Portland:  You have two guys who shot below 40% in your starting lineup.  Why is that not a major weakness?

OKC:  Do you regret any of your trades?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Thunder:  I don't get the point of having so many C.  Bynum and solid back up or the combo of Kaman and Perk would both be great, but all three?  Not enough minutes.  Any thought in trying to improve other positions (SF) with one or two of them?  Any thought of having Martin start at SG and Evans at SF defensively, but still having Evans running the point on offense?

Jazz:  If AK looks to be close to what he was, any though on having him start at PF and Randolph staring at C?  Would that help your team match up with Dallas better? 

Portland:  Is Rubio ready for the pressure of keeping so many players happy?  How are you going to keep Howard happy?  How can you stand having Matt Barnes on your team?

Nuggets:  I have heard alot of NBA guys say Mayo could be really good if the ball was in his hands on pick and rolls?  Are you going to work that in with KG?  Does that make Conley less effective?

The way I see it:

1)  Portland
2)  Utah
3)  Nuggets
4)  Thunder

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 01:11:07 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Question for everyone: i currently have the division rankings as 1. Portland 2. Utah 3. OKC 4. Denver, tell me why i am wrong or right with my rankings

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Question for everyone: i currently have the division rankings as 1. Portland 2. Utah 3. OKC 4. Denver, tell me why i am wrong or right with my rankings

A KG lead defense would push his team to the third position in this division.

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 01:14:20 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Question for everyone:  I currently have the division ranked: 1. Portland 2. Utah 3. Denver 4. Oklahoma City.  Tell me why I'm wrong (or right).

I'll tell you both that this is just a bad question.

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'll tell you both that this is just a bad question.

It's letting folks know where you stand, and giving them an opportunity to change your mind.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 01:17:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
Utah:  Zach Randolph had a very poor year last year.  Was that solely injury related?  If Randolph doesn't produce like a star, what's your team's outlook?

Yeah, I think so (solely injury related).

If not, I would say we are a low seed playoff team. One and done.

I don't know. I am having trouble separating the top teams at the top of the West. Not sure in what order I'd rank Portland and Utah. Overloaded with CB Draft stuff and rankings at the moment. I'm gonna take a step back from all that (rankings) and look it again in a few days after I have seen the press conferences.

I certainly have Utah and Portland as my one and two in some order. A large gap between those two teams and the next team down.

Not sure what to make of OKC yet. A lot of roster movement over the last few days. I feel I have a pretty good read on Denver (stable roster) ... but until I make my mind about OKC, I'm not sure where to rank those teams.

I think both Denver and OKC will be competing for the final playoff seeds in the West. Undecided whether either, both or neither make it.

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 01:17:30 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Looks like everyone forgot this division.  This team could conceivably have four playoff teams.

Portland:  You have two guys who shot below 40% in your starting lineup.  Why is that not a major weakness?

Yeah i was thinking maybe comments/questions for the NW didn't start until this afternoon or something? Where is everybody??

Roy, aside from my depth questions, yes this is one of the issues my team evokes on paper.

For everything that i think Rubio can/will be this year, i don't expect him to show up with a shiny new and improved jump shot.  When you spend so much time rehabbing, that's just unrealistic.  Nevertheless he showed the ability to hit the 3 at a fairly decent clip.  If he can do that again this year it shouldn't hinder our offense.

As far as Chandler goes, i don't really know what i can say except that 8 games is an abboration when compared to his body of work over a career.  The last full seasons that he played he shot 35% from 3 and is a career 32% shooter from there. He's also a career 45% shooter from the field.

Those career averages should be more than attainable for Chandler who is entering his prime and who will benefit from a defined role and the lack of attention he'll get defensively.

I agree that shooting looks to be a concern, but it will be greatly mitigated thanks to Howard double teams freeing up open looks and with capable shooting coming off the bench in Knight, Belinelli, Barnes, and Booner.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes