Author Topic: 2008-09 Celticsblog fantasy basketball leagues  (Read 49128 times)

Re: 2008-09 Celticsblog fantasy basketball leagues
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 08:52:22 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I'm leaning towards handing off my club in the H2H league. But I wanted to know exactly what had been decided about the set-up and what's still open to debate?

To be honest, I don't quite remember what questions/debate came up about setup for the H2H league. Was it a question on scoring categories? Right now, it's FGA, FGM, FTA, FTM, 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO (11 cats), but we have time to change those.

If there was a question about a cap of roster moves/games played per position, I personally think there should be some sort of effective cap to prevent people from playing as many players as possible in their active roster slots. To me, rotating people in indiscriminately as often as possible takes no strategy whatsoever; I think people should have to put a little thought into this. But that's my 2 cents.

Lucky,

Alright, I'm joining the H2H league after all. I couldn't not when I saw that most everybody was in! ( (But I'd still prefer a classic nine category scoring system if there's support for it...) Also, for what it's worth, I'm of your opinion on games limit, though I appreciate Hobbs' and others' argument, and if I remember mkogav had thrown out some interesting compromises that might encourage activity. And if anyone's counting I vote for play-offs. Anyway thanks again Commish. (TP)

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 08:55:03 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I'm leaning towards handing off my club in the H2H league. But I wanted to know exactly what had been decided about the set-up and what's still open to debate?

To be honest, I don't quite remember what questions/debate came up about setup for the H2H league. Was it a question on scoring categories? Right now, it's FGA, FGM, FTA, FTM, 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO (11 cats), but we have time to change those.

If there was a question about a cap of roster moves/games played per position, I personally think there should be some sort of effective cap to prevent people from playing as many players as possible in their active roster slots. To me, rotating people in indiscriminately as often as possible takes no strategy whatsoever; I think people should have to put a little thought into this. But that's my 2 cents.

Lucky,

Alright, I'm joining the H2H league after all. I couldn't not when I saw that most everybody was in! ( (But I'd still prefer a classic nine category scoring system if there's support for it...) Also, for what it's worth, I'm of your opinion on games limit, though I appreciate Hobbs' and others' argument, and if I remember mkogav had thrown out some interesting compromises that might encourage activity. And if anyone's counting I vote for play-offs. Anyway thanks again Commish. (TP)

I like having no game limits on head to head.

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 09:00:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Lucky,

I like having no game limits on head to head.

Yeah, no game limits (the cap on roster moves is a much better solution), and categories should be weighted towards our previous scoring system (which placed an emphasis on scoring).   FGM, FG%, FT%, FTM, 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO, or something along those lines.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 09:14:13 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Yeah, no game limits (the cap on roster moves is a much better solution), and categories should be weighted towards our previous scoring system (which placed an emphasis on scoring).   FGM, FG%, FT%, FTM, 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO, or something along those lines.

Yeah, I still disagree with that line of thinking (no surprise) especially since we're keeping the points-based league up and running. But either way I'm glad to see you hung around Roy.

Did either of you guys catch mkogav's game limits post the first time around? What's the downside of expanding the game limits on each position or on the utility slot by some small number x rather than throwing it out entirely?

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 09:20:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Yeah, I still disagree with that line of thinking (no surprise) especially since we're keeping the points-based league up and running. But either way I'm glad to see you hung around Roy.

Did either of you guys catch mkogav's game limits post the first time around? What's the downside of expanding the game limits on each position or on the utility slot by some small number x rather than throwing it out entirely?

Plain and simple, game limits aren't fun.  I don't like playing in leagues that have them, and I thought one of the reasons we went to two leagues was to make the "no game limits" crowd happy.

As for the scoring categories, we all drafted our rosters based upon certain assumptions, and the #1 assumption was offense is more important than defense.  That's why the categories we pick should be slanted in that direction.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 09:43:41 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Plain and simple, game limits aren't fun.  I don't like playing in leagues that have them, and I thought one of the reasons we went to two leagues was to make the "no game limits" crowd happy.

As for the scoring categories, we all drafted our rosters based upon certain assumptions, and the #1 assumption was offense is more important than defense.  That's why the categories we pick should be slanted in that direction.

Fair enough, I can't demand you have fun with game limits. (I prefer some limit but it's a matter of personal taste.) As far as changing the scoring categories goes, we also drafted based upon the assumption that we'd be playing in a points league and that our bench players would rarely see the light of day. Couldn't the points league keep the "scoring emphasis" crowd happy? Clean break?

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 09:53:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Fair enough, I can't demand you have fun with game limits. (I prefer some limit but it's a matter of personal taste.) As far as changing the scoring categories goes, we also drafted based upon the assumption that we'd be playing in a points league and that our bench players would rarely see the light of day. Couldn't the points league keep the "scoring emphasis" crowd happy? Clean break?

Why play with categories that have nothing to do with the teams we drafted?  If steals, blocks, etc. were given heavy emphasis in our old league, I would have drafted players who fit those skills.  In the new league, I'm not saying we should disregard blocks, steals, etc.  I'm just saying we should add additional offensive categories, which isn't that out of the ordinary; *lots* of leagues score using FGM and FTM.

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 10:11:47 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Well, I worry we're just going through the motions, debating the same points we did in August, Roy. But maybe for the benefit of the undecided?

At the bottom of it, my answer is similar to yours - less fun. I don't participate in many leagues and so am lukewarm at best to the idea of playing in two leagues that over-emphasize scoring. The draft argument still doesn't carry a lot of weight with me, because I would've drafted a different team for a H2H league and would've made different roster moves in a no game limit league, wouldn't have cut Q. Richardson loose for example.

We kept the points-based league so I don't feel any further need to stay true to the original plan.

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 10:35:32 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I'll chime in here, for what it's worth.

I don't know why I was originally opposed to not having game limits. For roto-style, game limits are essential (this is probably where I was coming from, since I've mostly played in roto leagues). For head-to-head, I realize that having no game limits helps level the playing field. When my team's best players play only 3 to 4 games one week, and my opponent's players have been scheduled to play 4 to 5, having no game limits will help me stay competitive.

Still, I am wary about GMs abusing the system, by keeping one or two roster slots free to add/drop free agents on a daily basis to exploit the schedule. To combat this, I'm still considering a cap on roster moves for the season. A topic for debate.

As for our H2H categories, I'm fine with either a classic 9-cat, or an 11-cat system. I can't imagine not having steals, blocks, etc. in a league though, and I like including TOs, but that's just me.

Looking again at our current cats, I think maybe we should probably change them to FG%, FGM, FT%, FTM, 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO, if not drop FGM and FTM (for classic 9-cat).
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 10:39:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I don't know why I was originally opposed to not having game limits. For roto-style, game limits are essential. For head-to-head, I realize that having no game limits helps level the playing field. When my team's best players play only 3 to 4 games one week, and my opponent's players have been scheduled to play 4 to 5, having no game limits will help me stay competitive.

Still, I am wary about GMs abusing the system, by keeping one or two roster slots free to add/drop free agents on a daily basis to exploit the schedule. To combat this, I'm still considering a cap on roster moves for the season. A topic for debate.

As for our H2H categories, I'm fine with either a classic 9-cat, or an 11-cat system. I can't imagine not having steals, blocks, etc. in a league though, and I like including TOs, but that's just me.

Looking again at our current cats, I think maybe we should probably change them to FG%, FGM, FT%, FTM, 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO, if not drop FGM and FTM (for classic 9-cat).

I agree with this.  No game limits, but cap roster moves (I don't know what a fair number is...  say, 2 per week or so?)  I like the 11 categories.

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 10:45:26 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

I don't know why I was originally opposed to not having game limits. For roto-style, game limits are essential. For head-to-head, I realize that having no game limits helps level the playing field. When my team's best players play only 3 to 4 games one week, and my opponent's players have been scheduled to play 4 to 5, having no game limits will help me stay competitive.

I agree with this.  No game limits, but cap roster moves (I don't know what a fair number is...  say, 2 per week or so?)  I like the 11 categories.

I concur, I think there should be a cap on roster moves per week.

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 12:52:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Here's who's signed up for each league:

Points (16 teams in):
iRONLiON     
RIPRED    
jgod213    
Make Me Some Bacon (celtsrp33)
Wide Loaders    
Edgar Cortors    
wes mantooth  (not sure who this is, please let me know)
Larrybird17
IndeedProceed
The Walker Wiggle
Utah Flash   (mkogav)
The Naturals    (Hobbs)
ChampKind's X-Tacles    
Birdman
Ya'll Hate
Lucky17

Head-to-head (16 teams in):
Wide Loaders
Birdman    
Make Me Some Bacon 2  (celtsrp33)
KG All-Stars  (RebusRankin)
The Shipyard  (Kwhit10)
Larrybird 17    
Edgar Crotors
-iRONLiON-
jgod213
The Naturals  (Hobbs)
Snuka    (mkogav)
Ya'll Hate    
ChampKinds FestusEra    
HorseCaulk  (RIPRED)
IndeedProceed    
Lucky17

Conspicuously absent are Smiggity and AllAboutTheGreen. I may have to assign new managers to their squads as well.

Newcomers: I'll assign you your squads, probably by random draw, when we've filled the leagues.

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 01:58:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
What's the draft procedure, Lucky?  How many rounds is it?  Are we adding roster slots to last year's team, or do we have to cut somebody?  Do we make our cuts before or after the draft?

Of course, regardless of the answers to the above questions, I'm picking Beasley.

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 02:21:52 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
What's the draft procedure, Lucky?  How many rounds is it?  Are we adding roster slots to last year's team, or do we have to cut somebody?  Do we make our cuts before or after the draft?

Of course, regardless of the answers to the above questions, I'm picking Beasley.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Draft of two rounds, max, for the incoming freshman class. (I'd even consider just a single round, if people are so inclined.) Draft order will be reverse order of finish, not serpentine (so Hobbs will have the 1st pick in rounds One and Two of the draft). I have records on which teams ended up trading away their first round picks to other teams.

We'll do the drafts in dedicated threads on Celticsblog, similar to the other offline/mock drafts we've done, but with more time between picks. Ideally, we'll do this over the course of next week.

[At the risk of opening a can of worms, I am undecided as to whether to allow trading draft picks for players, or vice versa, leading up to and during the draft. This is where things went south dramatically last year, ending with the acrimonious departure of the league's original commissioner.]

Same number of roster slots as last year, but I'll allow people to carry more than the max during the draft process. We'll have a cut-down deadline, and then I'll feed the new season rosters into Yahoo!, via their offline draft function, during the last week/weekend leading up to the start of the new season.

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 02:29:44 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

Here's what I'm thinking:

Draft of two rounds, max, for the incoming freshman class. (I'd even consider just a single round, if people are so inclined.) Draft order will be reverse order of finish, not serpentine (so Hobbs will have the 1st pick in rounds One and Two of the draft). I have records on which teams ended up trading away their first round picks to other teams.

We'll do the drafts in dedicated threads on Celticsblog, similar to the other offline/mock drafts we've done, but with more time between picks. Ideally, we'll do this over the course of next week.

[At the risk of opening a can of worms, I am undecided as to whether to allow trading draft picks for players, or vice versa, leading up to and during the draft. This is where things went south dramatically last year, ending with the acrimonious departure of the league's original commissioner.]

Same number of roster slots as last year, but I'll allow people to carry more than the max during the draft process. We'll have a cut-down deadline, and then I'll feed the new season rosters into Yahoo!, via their offline draft function, during the last week/weekend leading up to the start of the new season.

I think we have to do 2 rounds, because if I remember correctly 2nd round picks were traded (maybe not...)  Also, for those who traded their first round with the anticipation of still possibly grabbing a rookie (me) I would think we should still have the second round...

I am a proponent of trading picks, but honestly dont really care what is decided as long as it is decided and finalized.  going back and forth on that issue is annoying.

Glad we arent expanding the roster size...I dont think that should be done.