Author Topic: Summer 2018 Rumored Moves  (Read 53085 times)

Re: Summer 2018 Rumored Moves
« Reply #435 on: August 28, 2018, 09:09:26 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
>Sixers looking at new GM targets, but may keep interim structure> by Wojnarowski

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24492287/philadelphia-76ers-expanding-gm-search-not-hire-one

hmm that doesn't seem wise to me. They didn't get close with Lebron, Leonard or George and had their biggest free agent signing (Bejlica) renege on his deal. I wonder if they would have had a better summer with a top flight gm.
I doubt it.  George decided to re-sign with OKC before free agency started.  He didn't even give the Lakers a chance and they were the team George was supposed destined for.  The Spurs traded Leonard for an established all-start.  They didn't young talent/picks whether it was from the Sixers or the Lakers.  There was no decision for Lebron this time.  He clearly was going to the Lakers unless they screwed the pooch.  As for Bjelica, he reneged on a 1 year/4.5M contract for a 3 year/20.5M contract (2 years guaranteed). 

Tell me how a top flight GM, even Danny, could have or should have done anything different in any of those situations.  What the Sixers did do when they couldn't get any of their top targets was only sign 1 year contracts and make trades that allowed them to maintain their cap space for 2019. 

There's no reason for the Sixers to rush their GM search.  It is much more important to find the right person who will fit into their approach and be able to work well with the people they have in place including coach Brown.

I would have bet a 1000 dollars there would be a post from you within 24 hours explaining why everything was fine with the 76ers. Its pretty comedic at this point.
In my opinion, a realistic take on 76ers

Positives of summer: Embiid, Simmons healthy
Fultz back to playing basketball
Landed future first round pick on draft day
Resigned Reddick
Acquired Wilson chandler who gives them some wing versatility

Negatives
Struck out on their star hunting despite having second best odds to get George, Lebron entering the summer
Lost bench depth in Illy and Bellinelli that they know fit in their system and liked playing there
First round pick injured and may miss large part of season, developmental time
Could have used more shooting (Bjelica would have helped, Chandler pretty average shooter)

I will also add that it is really moving the goalposts to act like there were not tons of people thought the 76ers had a great chance of getting Lebron and others entering the offseason

https://www.libertyballers.com/2018/6/4/17427100/how-likely-are-the-sixers-to-sign-lebron-james
https://www.libertyballers.com/2018/5/10/17341480/sixers-with-3rd-highest-odds-as-destination-for-paul-george
https://www.libertyballers.com/2018/7/9/17548650/kawhi-only-wants-to-play-for-one-easten-conference-team

As a Celtics fan, you should be happy they didn't get this guys. It is a great relief for them staying a tier below us. Why is it so difficult for you to be happy about it and admit it was bad for them?
Funny you are the one that keeps posting about the Sixers.  I just reply to put some reality into the picture.  Posting Liberty Baller links to speculative media and betting house odds doesn't mean anything.  Liberty Ballers site is much worse than it was a couple years ago.  The media wants eyeballs and the betting houses want peoples' money.  The fact that OKC planned a party to announce George's re-signing at the stroke of free agency should tell anyone with half a brain that the Sixers and the other 28 teams (including the Lakers who had the highest odds according to your link) had no chance at George. 

Unless you think the Sixers should have matched the contracts that Bjelica, Illy or Belinelli got, what is the point of bringing them up?  The reality is that the Sixers offering them anything other than 1 year deals would have been a stupid move.  The reality is that Illy and Beli weren't particularly good in last year's playoffs.  The reality is Chandler and Muscala should basically offset losing Illy and Beli.  I wouldn't expect Muscala to be useful in the playoffs but Chandler might be. 

Everything basically is fine with the Sixers as far as it is possible to tell.  Now maybe Embiid gets hurt again, maybe Simmons has spent too much time on Kylie Jenner and not enough time improving his basketball skills and maybe Fultz gets the yips again when he has to play in an actual NBA game. 

That doesn't mean the Sixers didn't screw up some things.  Their PR is a disaster.  Unless you're a con man (cough... Trump), you're supposed to under sell and over deliver.  You don't keep talking about star hunting.  You don't fly out to LA to meet unless Lebron is actually going to attend the meeting.  When you miss out on Lebron, you don't talk about how close you were regardless of how close you actually were.  If you were close, that means you screwed up and couldn't close the deal.  As opposed to, we made a great pitch but Lebron's interests and goals at this point in his career better aligned with him being in Los Angeles. 

As far as their moves, I said at the time that I didn't really like the Bjelica move and would have gone after Wayne Ellington.  He would have been a good Beli replacement and he only got 1yr/6.5M from the Heat.  The Sixers only had the room exception (1yr/4.5M) but I would have done a 2nd year with a partial guarantee if necessary. 

« Reply #436 on: August 28, 2018, 09:21:41 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
>Sixers looking at new GM targets, but may keep interim structure> by Wojnarowski

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24492287/philadelphia-76ers-expanding-gm-search-not-hire-one

hmm that doesn't seem wise to me. They didn't get close with Lebron, Leonard or George and had their biggest free agent signing (Bejlica) renege on his deal. I wonder if they would have had a better summer with a top flight gm.

Yeah, they totally wiffed this summer , a legit GM would have certainly helped. Maybe they are buying into all the hype about their team for this season and think they can save money by holding off on hiring a new GM for a while.

I wouldn't wait too long. The Sixers are in really good shape, but they still have a ton of question marks. 

1) Can Embiid play 70+ games a year?
2) Can Simmons shoot?
3) Can Fultz shoot?
4) Is Saric a starter? We've seen a ton of flash, but is he consistent?

I wouldn't let this volatile team go unmanaged for too long. I think that Brett Brown has a lot of say at this point. I'm not sure about his GM capabilities.

I agree. If they had a very good GM he would already be planning on cashing in some of those prospects he deems limited for all-star caliber vet help before the rest of the league sours on some of those prospects like what happened with Okafor and Noel.
You do realize the souring on Okafor and Noel occurred on Colangelo's (a supposedly good GM) watch.  Who are these prospects that they should be cashing in on?  Who are these all-star caliber vets that are available for them to get?

I never called Colangelo a good GM. They missed their chances to sell high on both of those guys imo. Even a large percentage of the people on here were clamoring for the Celtics to trade legit assets for one of those guys not too long ago.

If they were more aggressive in moving some of their prospects they could have had Kawhi. They still could have Butler. Those are just two examples. They also should have signed IT.
The Spurs traded Kawhi for Derozan, an established star.  The only way the Sixers could have gotten Kawhi was to offer Embiid or Simmons which would have been grade A stupid.  The Sixers never had Butler.  He played for the Bulls.  I thought about them going after IT but I don't think it would have been a good fit.  They want Simmons and hopefully Fultz running their offense.  Also IT is going to be focused getting a Brinks wagon since no team is going to give him a Brinks truck.

If they were willing to give up both Saric and Fultz they could have very likely had Kawhi.

Bulter wants out of Minny, the Sixers have the pieces to trade for him if they want to.

They need a vet point guard who can score to compliment Simmons. IT would have been a great fit.

I think this is pretty fair speculation. Everything I read indicated they refused to trade Fultz. I think if they included him they could have gotten it done.
I'm glad you seem to have come around on that line of thinking.  Covington, Saric, and Fultz (and maybe a 1st or two - their own) and that probably gets it done over the Raptors offer, though Toronto could have sweetened their offer a great deal with other young players.  The fact that Philly wouldn't give up Fultz, Boston wouldn't give up Brown, and the Lakers wouldn't give up Ingram & Kuzma, pretty much handed Leonard to the Raptors.  And Leonard by all accounts is looking like a monster thus far in work outs.  If Leonard is in peak form, the Raptors are going to be a scary team for the Celtics and are going to be a real threat to come out of the East.

Was it a mistake for Philly to not make that deal?
I think so because I think Leonard staying in Philly was a real possibility and see no real way he ends up there now.  Now maybe if they back channel strongly believe someone like Klay Thompson signs with them, then maybe you keep your guys and wait a summer, but Philly could certainly end up losing out on a potential MVP in his prime because it wanted to keep its at best 3rd, 4th, and 5th best players (at best).  And let's be clear, I absolutely think that Philly with Embiid, Johnson, Leonard, Fultz, Simmons with Redick, McConnell, Smith, etc. would have been the best team in the east (or at least would be favored).  YOu have to take that shot if you are the Sixers.

What do you think happens to them if they never get their free agent star? I thought this summer was their best shot because Leonard, Lebron and George were 3 great players that seemed like they could change teams. If golden state blows it up, who is the best player that will change teams
Next year?
Leonard is a free agent next year (though I think he either stays in Toronto or goes to the one of the LA teams, which is why Philly should have gone for it).  Durant certainly could leave GS and if he stays I think there is a real chance Thompson leaves.  Cousins is almost assuredly leaving GS as well.  Butler is a very real possibility of moving and he would actually be a pretty good fit for Philly (he is in the same general range of player as George).  I doubt Kemba Walker stays in Charlotte, though who knows with him (and he probably doesn't end up in Philly).  Irving certainly could leave Boston (though I doubt Philly is on his radar). 

Then there are lesser free agents like D. Jordan, Mirotic, Beverly, Redick, etc. not to mention the restricted free agents like the Zinger (though I can't see him leaving the Knicks).

As for if Philly never lands a free agent star, I think they will be a 50+ win team for a decade assuming Embiid and Simmons stay healthy (and stay in Philly), especially if Fultz ends up looking anything like a #1 pick.  The simple reality is the Sixers don't need to land a major free agent to be a contender because Embiid and Simmons are on a path to superstardom (frankly Embiid might already be the 3rd best player in the East behind just Giannis and Kawhi). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #437 on: August 28, 2018, 10:17:22 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Yeah, they totally wiffed this summer , a legit GM would have certainly helped. Maybe they are buying into all the hype about their team for this season and think they can save money by holding off on hiring a new GM for a while.

I wouldn't wait too long. The Sixers are in really good shape, but they still have a ton of question marks. 

2) Can Simmons shoot?
3) Can Fultz shoot?

I wouldn't let this volatile team go unmanaged for too long. I think that Brett Brown has a lot of say at this point. I'm not sure about his GM capabilities.

I agree. If they had a very good GM he would already be planning on cashing in some of those prospects he deems limited for all-star caliber vet help before the rest of the league sours on some of those prospects like what happened with Okafor and Noel.
You do realize the souring on Okafor and Noel occurred on Colangelo's (a supposedly good GM) watch.  Who are these prospects that they should be cashing in on?  Who are these all-star caliber vets that are available for them to get?

I never called Colangelo a good GM. They missed their chances to sell high on both of those guys imo. Even a large percentage of the people on here were clamoring for the Celtics to trade legit assets for one of those guys not too long ago.

If they were more aggressive in moving some of their prospects they could have had Kawhi. They still could have Butler. Those are just two examples. They also should have signed IT.
The Spurs traded Kawhi for Derozan, an established star.  The only way the Sixers could have gotten Kawhi was to offer Embiid or Simmons which would have been grade A stupid.  The Sixers never had Butler.  He played for the Bulls.  I thought about them going after IT but I don't think it would have been a good fit.  They want Simmons and hopefully Fultz running their offense.  Also IT is going to be focused getting a Brinks wagon since no team is going to give him a Brinks truck.

If they were willing to give up both Saric and Fultz they could have very likely had Kawhi.

Bulter wants out of Minny, the Sixers have the pieces to trade for him if they want to.

They need a vet point guard who can score to compliment Simmons. IT would have been a great fit.

I think this is pretty fair speculation. Everything I read indicated they refused to trade Fultz. I think if they included him they could have gotten it done.
I'm glad you seem to have come around on that line of thinking.  Covington, Saric, and Fultz (and maybe a 1st or two - their own) and that probably gets it done over the Raptors offer, though Toronto could have sweetened their offer a great deal with other young players.  The fact that Philly wouldn't give up Fultz, Boston wouldn't give up Brown, and the Lakers wouldn't give up Ingram & Kuzma, pretty much handed Leonard to the Raptors.  And Leonard by all accounts is looking like a monster thus far in work outs.  If Leonard is in peak form, the Raptors are going to be a scary team for the Celtics and are going to be a real threat to come out of the East.

I think so because I think Leonard staying in Philly was a real possibility and see no real way he ends up there now.  Now maybe if they back channel strongly believe someone like Klay Thompson signs with them, then maybe you keep your guys and wait a summer, but Philly could certainly end up losing out on a potential MVP in his prime because it wanted to keep its at best 3rd, 4th, and 5th best players (at best).  And let's be clear, I absolutely think that Philly with Embiid, Johnson, Leonard, Fultz, Simmons with Redick, McConnell, Smith, etc. would have been the best team in the east (or at least would be favored).  YOu have to take that shot if you are the Sixers.

What do you think happens to them if they never get their free agent star? I thought this summer was their best shot because Leonard, Lebron and George were 3 great players that seemed like they could change teams. If golden state blows it up, who is the best player that will change teams
Next year?
Leonard is a free agent next year (though I think he either stays in Toronto or goes to the one of the LA teams, which is why Philly should have gone for it).  Durant certainly could leave GS and if he stays I think there is a real chance Thompson leaves.  Cousins is almost assuredly leaving GS as well.  Butler is a very real possibility of moving and he would actually be a pretty good fit for Philly (he is in the same general range of player as George).  I doubt Kemba Walker stays in Charlotte, though who knows with him (and he probably doesn't end up in Philly).  Irving certainly could leave Boston (though I doubt Philly is on his radar). 

Then there are lesser free agents like D. Jordan, Mirotic, Beverly, Redick, etc. not to mention the restricted free agents like the Zinger (though I can't see him leaving the Knicks).

As for if Philly never lands a free agent star, I think they will be a 50+ win team for a decade assuming Embiid and Simmons stay healthy (and stay in Philly), especially if Fultz ends up looking anything like a #1 pick.  The simple reality is the Sixers don't need to land a major free agent to be a contender because Embiid and Simmons are on a path to superstardom (frankly Embiid might already be the 3rd best player in the East behind just Giannis and Kawhi).
I agree with you about Leonard. I would be pretty shocked if he didn't end up on an LA team or in Toronto. I can't imagine cousins is a fit with embiid. I don't think walker would make any sense for them with Fultz and Simmons. I think Thompson and butler are the two guys it would happen with, but you can't really feel confident that they have higher than a 20-25% chance of getting either guy. I agree with what Brett brown says that they need one more star to really contend for a title

« Reply #438 on: August 29, 2018, 09:47:28 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

2) Can Simmons shoot?
3) Can Fultz shoot?

Next year?

I agree with you about Leonard. I would be pretty shocked if he didn't end up on an LA team or in Toronto. I can't imagine cousins is a fit with embiid. I don't think walker would make any sense for them with Fultz and Simmons. I think Thompson and butler are the two guys it would happen with, but you can't really feel confident that they have higher than a 20-25% chance of getting either guy. I agree with what Brett brown says that they need one more star to really contend for a title
I actually think Cousins would be interesting in Philly.  Cousins prefers to play PF and before the injury he was decent guarding quicker PF's (at least real PF's and not SF's playing PF).  And they would be almost unguardable for other teams on the other end of the floor.  I mean how do you guard 2 massive 7 footers that have 3 point range.  That would be the type of team that could run rough shot through the league because they are different and unique.  That is why it was a shame Cousins got hurt because I would have been interested to see what him and Davis could have done together in the playoffs and that was on a team with a subpar backcourt and limited depth.  The Sixers would be very interesting with a starting 5 of Embiid, Cousins, Covington, Fultz, and Simmons.  Maybe they bring Redick or Chandler back on the MLE and they still have Saric, Smith, McConnell, Shamet, Korkmaz, Bolden, and their 2019 draft picks. 

« Reply #439 on: August 29, 2018, 12:35:38 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

2) Can Simmons shoot?
3) Can Fultz shoot?

Next year?

I actually think Cousins would be interesting in Philly.  Cousins prefers to play PF and before the injury he was decent guarding quicker PF's (at least real PF's and not SF's playing PF).  And they would be almost unguardable for other teams on the other end of the floor.  I mean how do you guard 2 massive 7 footers that have 3 point range.  That would be the type of team that could run rough shot through the league because they are different and unique.  That is why it was a shame Cousins got hurt because I would have been interested to see what him and Davis could have done together in the playoffs and that was on a team with a subpar backcourt and limited depth.  The Sixers would be very interesting with a starting 5 of Embiid, Cousins, Covington, Fultz, and Simmons.  Maybe they bring Redick or Chandler back on the MLE and they still have Saric, Smith, McConnell, Shamet, Korkmaz, Bolden, and their 2019 draft picks.

I liked the idea of Cousins and Davis, but they really did seem like a better team without him and mirotic playing instead. You now have to add in the fact that Cousins is going to, in a best case scenario, lose a half step from his injury and entering his 30's and it seems even less likely a twin pairings will work. I also think that of all the teams that would consider trying a two center lineup any time soon the 76ers would be low on the list given their struggles to get okafor, noel and embiid on the court effectively together at any point (and watching their value depreciate because of it). From Cousin's perspective, he has lost a lot of money this year and only has a limited amount of contracts left. He seems like he will go to the highest bidder that will let him put up numbers (he was reportedly upset when the kings trade cost him the chance at a super max).

« Reply #440 on: September 04, 2018, 08:20:16 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I'm rather late (not for the first time) but I still post it for discussion purposes.

Per Woj, the Sixers will meet this week with Golden State’s Larry Harris, Houston’s Gersson Rosas and Utah’s Justin Zanik to fill their vacant GM spot.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2018/08/woj-sixers-get-permission-to-speak-with-three-general-manager-candidates.html

« Reply #441 on: September 04, 2018, 03:36:56 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #442 on: September 04, 2018, 03:47:48 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

« Reply #443 on: September 04, 2018, 04:00:58 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

« Reply #444 on: September 04, 2018, 05:26:58 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1035956236615929858

This would be so great
Great in what sense?  Do you think Deng would be a significant plus for the TWolves?

No great in sheer comedy of Thibs being able to assemble 5 key rotation players from his 2013 bulls squad on the Timberwolves 5 years later when all of them except Butler and half of Taj Gibson are extremely washed up.

« Reply #445 on: September 04, 2018, 07:47:51 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

This would be so great

Great in what sense?  Do you think Deng would be a significant plus for the TWolves?

No great in sheer comedy of Thibs being able to assemble 5 key rotation players from his 2013 bulls squad on the Timberwolves 5 years later when all of them except Butler and half of Taj Gibson are extremely washed up.

No one better qualified to break down what's left of a washed up vet.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #446 on: September 04, 2018, 09:14:41 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

This would be so great

You can't burn up a players legs when they are already toast...

« Reply #447 on: September 08, 2018, 02:10:57 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
The Cavs have 13 players under contract heading into training camp, which starts with media day on Sept. 24. They are waiting on restricted free agent Rodney Hood, who is looking at either accepting the Cavs' one-year, $3.4 million qualifying offer or trying to get them to come up from their three-year offer worth, according to sources, about $7 million annually.

Hood is said to be looking for something in the $9 million range annually.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2018/09/cavaliers_sign_david_nwaba_to.html

« Reply #448 on: September 16, 2018, 09:49:16 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #449 on: September 18, 2018, 08:36:07 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
The Cavs have 13 players under contract heading into training camp, which starts with media day on Sept. 24. They are waiting on restricted free agent Rodney Hood, who is looking at either accepting the Cavs' one-year, $3.4 million qualifying offer or trying to get them to come up from their three-year offer worth, according to sources, about $7 million annually.

Hood is said to be looking for something in the $9 million range annually.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2018/09/cavaliers_sign_david_nwaba_to.html
He signed the QO, but if he really only wanted 9 million a year for 3 years, the Cavs should have signed him to that.  I think he could have a huge year as the #1 small/wing on that team and could be in line for a lot more money next summer.