Author Topic: Smart has been given his tryout, and he failed.  (Read 7074 times)

Re: Smart has been given his tryout, and he failed.
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2018, 05:05:02 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Comparing Smart to Iggy just shows how insanely off people are with evaluating Smart.

First of all, Iggy posted moderate-to-good stats for the majority of his career while still being a great intangibles guy. Secondly, he took nowhere near the number of dumb shots and was never a ball-stopper on offense, which is part of the reason why he fit so seamlessly into the Warriors' offense. Lastly, Iggy could do a little bit of everything on offense and most importantly finish at the rim with consistency.

In no way, shape, or form does Marcus do any of the things I just mentioned. Smart is an historic trainwreck on offense, and he'd have to be Kawhi Leonard-levels of good on defense in order to justify putting up with that sort of offensive ineptitude. Unfortunately, he's not. Quite frankly, the team's defense is based on the scheme and getting everyone to buy in and exert effort on that end - it's not being made or broken by one guy. That's why we were able to let Bradley go yet still function at a high level.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that on offense. You can't hide a guy on offense in the modern NBA; if he can't or won't shoot, his presence in the offense just shrinks the court since nobody will defend him at the 3 point line (which is particularly evident in the playoffs when teams have more time to implement schemes like that). And that's the very best outcome... the more realistic and historical outcome is that Smart will just jack up tons of bad shots and stop the ball from moving, completely killing any semblance of a functioning offense.

Finally, if you think the way Smart has been playing is bad, just wait until you see how terrible he'll be once he's gotten his contract. I guarantee you it will make Evan Turner's contract look like a steal by comparison.

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2018, 05:41:41 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Comparing Smart to Iggy just shows how insanely off people are with evaluating Smart.

First of all, Iggy posted moderate-to-good stats for the majority of his career while still being a great intangibles guy. Secondly, he took nowhere near the number of dumb shots and was never a ball-stopper on offense, which is part of the reason why he fit so seamlessly into the Warriors' offense. Lastly, Iggy could do a little bit of everything on offense and most importantly finish at the rim with consistency.

In no way, shape, or form does Marcus do any of the things I just mentioned. Smart is an historic trainwreck on offense, and he'd have to be Kawhi Leonard-levels of good on defense in order to justify putting up with that sort of offensive ineptitude. Unfortunately, he's not. Quite frankly, the team's defense is based on the scheme and getting everyone to buy in and exert effort on that end - it's not being made or broken by one guy. That's why we were able to let Bradley go yet still function at a high level.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that on offense. You can't hide a guy on offense in the modern NBA; if he can't or won't shoot, his presence in the offense just shrinks the court since nobody will defend him at the 3 point line (which is particularly evident in the playoffs when teams have more time to implement schemes like that). And that's the very best outcome... the more realistic and historical outcome is that Smart will just jack up tons of bad shots and stop the ball from moving, completely killing any semblance of a functioning offense.

Finally, if you think the way Smart has been playing is bad, just wait until you see how terrible he'll be once he's gotten his contract. I guarantee you it will make Evan Turner's contract look like a steal by comparison.

People blamed one person for all our defensive troubles last season.

Even if you don’t consider Smart to be in Kawhi’s level defensively, he’s close. He’s undoubtedly in the top echelon of defensive wing players. His team defense is masterful.

I don’t think defenses leave him wide open all the time like you believe. He’s still a threat to take the shot (and all too often does), and is clearly capable of knocking them down, even if not as often as he should.

I disagree with the notion that he’ll regress when he gets a contract. Nothing about what he’s doing looks like a typical “contract year” season. He still jacks up those 3/4-Court shots at the buzzer. He’s all in on defense and doesn’t dog it. By all accounts (aside from this recent transgression), he’s a good kid and teammate. I truly believe he’s a hard worker and will continue to after he gets his next contract (and there’s a good chance he takes a short/discount contract to prove himself again).

I’d like to keep Smart, but I understand the future is cloudy with our back court and if DA doesn’t think he’s going to resign him, I get trading him. If we are going all in this season with Monroe (and hopefully a scoring wing), a guy like Smart off the bench is integral in the playoffs to get key stops when the game slows.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2018, 07:01:25 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

People blamed one person for all our defensive troubles last season.

Even if you don’t consider Smart to be in Kawhi’s level defensively, he’s close. He’s undoubtedly in the top echelon of defensive wing players. His team defense is masterful.

I don’t think defenses leave him wide open all the time like you believe. He’s still a threat to take the shot (and all too often does), and is clearly capable of knocking them down, even if not as often as he should.

I disagree with the notion that he’ll regress when he gets a contract. Nothing about what he’s doing looks like a typical “contract year” season. He still jacks up those 3/4-Court shots at the buzzer. He’s all in on defense and doesn’t dog it. By all accounts (aside from this recent transgression), he’s a good kid and teammate. I truly believe he’s a hard worker and will continue to after he gets his next contract (and there’s a good chance he takes a short/discount contract to prove himself again).

I’d like to keep Smart, but I understand the future is cloudy with our back court and if DA doesn’t think he’s going to resign him, I get trading him. If we are going all in this season with Monroe (and hopefully a scoring wing), a guy like Smart off the bench is integral in the playoffs to get key stops when the game slows.

We must rate defense differently. Smart isn't even close to the type of defensive player for obvious athletic reasons.
ok fine

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2018, 07:03:36 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

Wait are there more of us out there?! I thought I was stranded on this island alone  ;D
ok fine

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2018, 10:18:59 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Marcus is overall a good player. Yes he is a terrible shooter, and that limits his value, but his defense is excellent. He also makes lots of hustle plays that make a difference. Moreover, he does have some positive attributes on offense. He runs the pick and roll well, and the team often has a positive offense rating when he's on the floor.

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2018, 11:07:36 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
If we get a decent 1st round pick offer, Smart will be traded.  If not we will try to retain him for the RFA tender.  If someone bids big money for Smart he will be gone as we won't go into luxury tax for a very good defensive player but nonetheless a rotation player with bad offense.