Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 119961 times)

Re: Smart to ESPN: "i'm worth more than $14 mill a year" Goner?
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2018, 09:38:57 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
If Danny green opts out would love to get him

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2018, 09:43:50 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
If he really gets an offer that big he's gone. I'm skeptical he will, him accepting the QO seems more likely to me.

I have no problem with him wanting to get paid though, he plays hard and is young guy.

This is the best case scenario IMO.

I think the more he wants a big payday, the more likely he is to take the QO this year.

Smart on the QO will go a long way to keeping the team under the luxury tax threshold next year, which puts off the repeater tax another year too (which comes 5 years later).

Also Smart on a QO also gives the team another year to decide who they want to keep, Rozier or Smart (or none or both).

Nothing wrong with him thinking he deserves a huge payday.  Good for him if a team wants to pay him $20m per.   Definitely wouldn't be wise to take a discount with Trader Danny as your GM.  I do wonder what his real market value is though, will be interesting to see how this (and Rozier next year) plays out.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:10:11 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2018, 09:47:12 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
If Danny green opts out would love to get him
Ojeleye finds his stroke and we are all good.

I adore MS plays,
unfortunately, just the defensive ones.

14$ is starters money - sorry Marcus.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:56:22 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2018, 09:52:16 AM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
You don't pay a hustle guy 14 million a year. I highly doubt a team is going to come with that high of an offer but if one is stupid enough to do that then goodbye. His offense is too putrid and hurts the team to pay him 14 million a year. He just went out and played a horrible game and makes these statements?

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2018, 10:09:48 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
best to go for a replacement via draft or free agency than to pay a guy who is consistently going one for ten over 10 mill...

a lot of defensive minded guards in this years draft...
Grayson Allen
Troy Brown
Melvin Frazier
Bruce Brown
Rawle Alkins
Josh Okogie

I think we'll be fine post smart to be honest..

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
what smart wants and what smart gets are two different things. they should pull a belichick...let smart go out there and see his value. If he realizes no team will pay him 14million then he comes back with his tail between his legs and signs the QO for a year or his demands come down.

If not, then see you later. the NBA is about STARS. teams dont win paying role-players big $$.

and if a team wants to pay marcus smart 14+ million to be "the guy" on their team...they will quickly regret it as he bricks up 10shots a game

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2018, 10:21:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm as big a fan of Smart as there is here but that's way more than he's worth --> particularly after a 1-10 shooting performance in a game 7. 

he brings a lot to the table that doesn't show up in a stat sheet which is true but that's a lot of money to invest in someone who's unlikely to be on the court in crunch time going forward when we have Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum and Brown getting those minutes.

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2018, 10:30:57 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The one thing about Marcus that bothers me is, he still doesn't know who he is. He doesn't realize when not to shoot the 27 foot 3 ball.

I'd like to have him on this team for reasonable NBA dollars.

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2018, 10:34:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
and if a team wants to pay marcus smart 14+ million to be "the guy" on their team...they will quickly regret it as he bricks up 10shots a game
Well 14 million is Joe Ingles, Taj Gibson, Demare Carrol, Eric Bledsoe, Reggie Jackson, Dennis Schroeder, JR Smith, etc etc money

That's not "the guy" money. The guy money is now $25-35 million depending on your years of service.

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2018, 10:38:56 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Highest I'd do is between 10-12M/Year.

I love Smart, but if some team actually offers him 15M or more a year, then he's gone. Frankly though, I don't see much of a market for him to even command that. Maybe 12-14M/Year at best, but more?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2018, 10:41:34 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Sixers convert Riddick $$ to Smart....they ned a guy like him and it weakens the C's

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2018, 10:43:48 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If he really gets an offer that big he's gone. I'm skeptical he will, him accepting the QO seems more likely to me.

I have no problem with him wanting to get paid though, he plays hard and is young guy.

This is the best case scenario IMO.

I think the more he wants a big payday, the more likely he is to take the QO this year.

Smart on the QO will go a long way to keeping the team under the luxury tax threshold next year, which puts off the repeater tax another year too (which comes 5 years later).

Also Smart on a QO also gives the team another year to decide who they want to keep, Rozier or Smart (or none or both).

Nothing wrong with him thinking he deserves a huge payday.  Good for him if a team wants to pay him $20m per.   Definitely wouldn't be wise to take a discount with Trader Danny as your GM.  I do wonder what his real market value is though, will be interesting to see how this (and Rozier next year) plays out.

Even bigger than preventing the repeater tax, it will allow us to use the full MLE, likely to retain Baynes.  We need his size and toughness back (especially if the 3 keeps falling)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2018, 10:50:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sixers convert Riddick $$ to Smart....they ned a guy like him and it weakens the C's
They most certainly do not need a secondary play maker who cannot shoot lol.

They have much bigger fish to go after.

« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2018, 10:51:09 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Smartest business statement Smart could make.  If you didn’t like “back up the Brink’s Truck” you shouldn’t like this.   I don’t like it, but I can’t blame him for it.  Danny knows his limit and I trust him.  If Danny isn’t willing to go high, I hope he can pull off an S&T.   If nothing else, Cs need some tradeable salary if they want to be in the mix for Leonard, Davis, Towns...
I agree with the first part.  He just told all the owners what he's looking for and I'm guessing one of them who loves Smart is going to say...let's go $15-$16 and get him - he's going to change our culture.  As for the second please forget about Davis.  He's not coming here.

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2018, 10:51:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Should have gotten Tyreke Evans..

Exactly