Author Topic: Women's World Cup Thread  (Read 23391 times)

Re: Women's World Cup Thread
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2023, 04:12:50 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
80+ players including all of the WWC Championship team will not play for Spain until Rubiales is out. The entire women's coaching staff except for Vilda have resigned.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38258325/spain-players-boycott-hermoso-rejects-rubiales-consent-claim

RFEF responds by saying they're going to take legal action against Hermoso for her "lies". A disgrace of a federation.

Can't believe this is all happening just days after they won.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2023, 05:34:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
80+ players including all of the WWC Championship team will not play for Spain until Rubiales is out. The entire women's coaching staff except for Vilda have resigned.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38258325/spain-players-boycott-hermoso-rejects-rubiales-consent-claim

RFEF responds by saying they're going to take legal action against Hermoso for her "lies". A disgrace of a federation.

Quite unbelievable really. Astonishing behaviour
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2023, 06:39:51 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Quite unbelievable really. Astonishing behaviour

Unbelievable and a stain on the Spanish federation. Largely crickets from the male players as well, other than Casillas and a couple of others.

Being of Spanish descent I'm embarrassed about this...the patriarchy hard at work protecting itself. Rubiales got a standing ovation from the federation when he made a defiant speech refusing to resign. The whole Trumpian "never admit you were wrong, double down on everything" syndrome is alive and well. UEFA hasn't done anything either, then again they're one of the most corrupt organizations around, along with FIFA who at least suspended him pending an investigation. But suing the female player he forcibly kissed on stage? And tried to pressure to release a statement exonerating him? That takes some cojones. Hopefully it leads to a tipping point in Spain.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2023, 06:42:49 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
In the end, I think the Women's World Cup wasn't received well in the US and South America, not capturing as much of the general audience with the tough game time and early exits of USA and Brazil (although Colombia did well). However, I do think it was a great success in European countries, Africa and Australia. They broke records and build a strong momentum going forward for women's sports.

Spain brought home its first Women’s World Cup title on Sunday, and the country certainly showed out in support.

The match was watched by an average of 5.6M people in Spain, according to data from Barlovento Comunicacion. That makes it the largest TV audience ever for a women’s soccer match in Spain.

With both England and Spain making their first appearances in the Women’s World Cup final, it makes sense that the countries would see record viewership. As Deadline reported earlier Monday, the match was watched by a peak of 14.4M people across the BBC and ITV.

https://deadline.com/2023/08/2023-womens-world-cup-final-ratings-spain-england-australia-1235524500/

In Australia, their semi-final game broke their alltime record for most watched sporting event, including men's rugby (if I am not mistaken). It will be interesting where they'll go next WC. Europe has the most momentum, US or Brazil will have the best game times for us, and Africa earned their keep with 3 countries advancing to the knockout stage.

The time zone is the biggest issue with the relative lack of interest, because people just can't get up at 4am on weekdays to watch games, especially when your team is knocked out. But globally it was easily the most successful WC both in terms of eyeballs on TV and people going through the turnstiles. I tried to watch as many games as I could because I'm a big fan of womens soccer, in some ways I feel it's more fun to watch than men's soccer. The Aus v France game was a nailbiter, that was easily on par with France v Argentina 2022.

« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2023, 06:23:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The US game against Netherlands was the most watched game in the women's group stage ever in the US.  Viewership was way up for the 1st game against Vietnam.  Those 2 games were watchable on both coasts in the US though.  The games against Portugal and Sweden were in the middle of the night on both coasts and thus viewership was way down.  And Americans generally don't watch international competiton soccer unless Americans are playing, plus the games were the middle of the night, so of course overall viewership was down overall for the other tourney games.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2023, 07:06:04 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Luis Rubiales's mom has now got involved and gone on a hunger strike in support of her son.

Angeles Bejar, the mother of Spanish FA president Luis Rubiales, has gone on hunger strike and pleaded with Jenni Hermoso to “tell the truth”.

Bejar has been left distraught at seeing her son become the subject of a “cruel” saga.

She has reiterated Rubiales’ claims that there was “consent on both sides” regarding a now infamous kiss, with Hermoso urged to “tell the truth” and “maintain the version she had at the beginning of events” – with the 33-year-old having initially shrugged off the incident.

Bejar has now taken her protest to the Divina Pastora de Motril church and vowed to EFE that she will remain on hunger strike “indefinitely, day and night” until justice is done in her eyes.

She has said that “what they are doing with my son is something that he does not deserve”.

Bejar claims that Rubiales is “incapable of harming anyone” and is hoping to see his name cleared in an unfortunate saga.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/tell-truth-luis-rubiales-mother-plea-jenni-hermoso-hunger-strike-church-protest-cruel-treatment-son/bltdd017f3e8834073b

« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2023, 07:29:24 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Luis Rubiales's mom has now got involved and gone on a hunger strike in support of her son.

Angeles Bejar, the mother of Spanish FA president Luis Rubiales, has gone on hunger strike and pleaded with Jenni Hermoso to “tell the truth”.

Bejar has been left distraught at seeing her son become the subject of a “cruel” saga.

She has reiterated Rubiales’ claims that there was “consent on both sides” regarding a now infamous kiss, with Hermoso urged to “tell the truth” and “maintain the version she had at the beginning of events” – with the 33-year-old having initially shrugged off the incident.

Bejar has now taken her protest to the Divina Pastora de Motril church and vowed to EFE that she will remain on hunger strike “indefinitely, day and night” until justice is done in her eyes.

She has said that “what they are doing with my son is something that he does not deserve”.

Bejar claims that Rubiales is “incapable of harming anyone” and is hoping to see his name cleared in an unfortunate saga.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/tell-truth-luis-rubiales-mother-plea-jenni-hermoso-hunger-strike-church-protest-cruel-treatment-son/bltdd017f3e8834073b

If you look at the video, although his hands are on both sides of her head, I think she leans in and is open for the kiss.  Just my opinion, but it didn't look like she was as opposed to it as everyone said!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2023, 11:02:55 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

If you look at the video, although his hands are on both sides of her head, I think she leans in and is open for the kiss.  Just my opinion, but it didn't look like she was as opposed to it as everyone said!

She said she was opposed. She said that immediately postgame when asked about it. She said she didn't like it and has been adamant in that stance ever since. Her opinion is the only one that matters.

I don't want to get into a debate about consent because I think it should be pretty clear at this point. This incident is really the culmination of years of issues with the women's team and RFEF. Several players sat out the WWC altogether as a protest against abusive conditions and the federation is actively suing another player who tried to report a sexual assault. RFEF's behavior in the aftermath of the kiss has been appalling - they falsified statements from her that they released to the press and have reportedly harassed her and her family.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2023, 11:50:13 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
It also showed extremely poor judgment. If it’s not something you would do to a man you shouldn’t do it to a woman.

« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2023, 12:05:58 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485

Lies? We all saw it on tape. He just grabbed her and kissed her. It was unscripted creepy behavior.

« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2023, 04:50:19 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

I’m not sure which is more shocking, the hunger strike itself or the sheer amount of work this Spaniard is voluntarily undertaking in August.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2023, 05:13:38 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The US game against Netherlands was the most watched game in the women's group stage ever in the US.  Viewership was way up for the 1st game against Vietnam.  Those 2 games were watchable on both coasts in the US though.  The games against Portugal and Sweden were in the middle of the night on both coasts and thus viewership was way down.  And Americans generally don't watch international competiton soccer unless Americans are playing, plus the games were the middle of the night, so of course overall viewership was down overall for the other tourney games.

I think the missed opportunity was that they didn't advance. They started with a good rhythm, despite the tough times and right wingers hatorade but losing right away lost all steam going forward. I think if they kept it going, especially at primetime (those 9pm games), then they could have hit 10m viewers.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2023, 05:16:33 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

I’m not sure which is more shocking, the hunger strike itself or the sheer amount of work this Spaniard is voluntarily undertaking in August.

Not sure if it's good or not, but this whole thing could have been over if the guy just resigned. Instead, it's giving a bad look for the organization and I think it has gone from the example of a 'lonely wolf' that got too excited and made a mistake that should have easily owned up to it, to an example of institutionalized sexism that demonstrates how much somebody has to climb to be heard.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2023, 05:51:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Maybe if you disregard what she actually said, then I guess this interpretation would make the tiniest bit of sense. Not really that much sense, but more so than if she said she didn't like it. Which is the case.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #149 on: August 28, 2023, 08:34:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I think the missed opportunity was that they didn't advance. They started with a good rhythm, despite the tough times and right wingers hatorade but losing right away lost all steam going forward. I think if they kept it going, especially at primetime (those 9pm games), then they could have hit 10m viewers.
The 2015 finale was viewed by 24.5 million Americans.  Given that none of the group stage games that year were watched as much as the game against the Dutch this year, I think the numbers would have been just fine if they played in the 10 pm eastern slot, especially on the weekend.  Not winning the group really hurt that, because the Dutch ended up playing at 10 pm Saturday night while the US was regulated to the middle of the night early Sunday against the tougher opponent.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 08:41:33 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip