Author Topic: What will happen after Rondo is traded  (Read 9427 times)

Re: What will happen after Rondo is traded
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 12:27:42 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
We might never hear from BBtim again.  Not sure if he only likes Rondo or is a Celtics fan

I am pretty sure this short post breaks about 2 rules on celtic blog.

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Just curious, does anybody think this makes the Mavericks substantially better?

I think Rondo is close to a perfect fit there.  Parsons+Dirk are excellent spot-up shooters who can P+R and drive off the fake, Ellis can spot up, exploit slow rotations when the ball is moving well, and serve as a secondary ball-handler and playmaker, and Chandler is still an excellent alley-oop and P+R finisher.  If we could put an ideal but realistic starting unit around Rondo, they'd look a lot like the Mavs do, especially on offense.

EDIT: For all his inconsistency this year, Rondo's also a significant defensive upgrade over Jameer +/or Felton.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:38:48 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 12:33:07 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
We'll take a little while to find our chemistry, but after that we'll keep growing.  We'll see Turner, Smart and Pressey sharing ball-handling duties.  If we pick up a guy like Wright, our defense will improve right away.  We'll remain one of the top offenses.

I think this is a good outcome for everyone.  Good to see Rondo go to another great franchise where he can flourish.  I'll be a Mavs fan this playoff season.
We aren't currently one of the top offenses. We have the 18th best offense in the NBA, and it will get a whole lot worse without Rondo.

Just curious, does anybody think this makes the Mavericks substantially better?
I do. If Rondo is taking Devin Harris or Jameer Nelson's minutes I don't know how upgrading from those guys doesn't make them substantially better.

His lack of shooting would be hidden because pretty much all the other Mavs starters can shoot the ball

Absolutely will be an upgrade for the mavs.  Pick and roll w/ Dirk, lobs to TC, Mavs spread the floor with shooters more room for dribble drives.
Can their offense really get much better though?  I haven't watched them play for a few weeks, but early on they were playing like a well-oiled machine.  You insert an exotic new part like Rondo... you never know.

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 12:35:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We might never hear from BBtim again.  Not sure if he only likes Rondo or is a Celtics fan

Oh relax

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 12:35:46 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
Guess what I always rooted for the mavs, besides the Boston Big 3. I don't know how I feel. Rondo is an odd player. I don't want him to ruin the spacing of the mavs' offense. However he has some Jason Kidd in him (without a three pointer). I hope Carlisle can mask his weaknesses while forcing Rondo to move the ball, even if he will not get an assist. At the end of the day Carlisle is the second best coach in the business, so let's see!

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 12:39:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It means our rebuild time just went from 2-3 years to 5-6 years.

Foolish response. This is a good team without Rondo. A better team actually. Rondo is not going to bring in anyone from the outside. Btw we are in 9th place now and will fight for 8th place

If DA ends up trading Rondo, he will likely move bass and green as well.  It will mean a full on rebuild, and will take longer than it would have if we would have paired some other players w/ Rondo, Green, Sully, KO.

What is really foolish is thinking that our team, especially without RR, J Green is going to do anything this year.  If those trades happen, they are happening because we are going full rebuild and will be closer to a top level lotto pick than to a low playoff seed.

This is your prediction. While bass and even thornton are likely to be traded,  green does not have to be.  Unlike Rondo he has the ability to bring in guys like Hibbert, Monroe .

Green is in great shape and i dont mind giving him a 4 year deal at 14 million a year.
just wow.  really?  I  can't believe the things you say and actually believe.

Players (particularly scorers) want to play with Rondo.  there have been quotes on this.  I've never heard one player saying they want to play with Green.  none. 

If we're dumping Rondo, keeping any of Green, Bass or Thornton is pointless unless Danny's planning on opening up cap space going forward.  not that any FA worth anything would sign with a team that had no established talent on the roster first.

As for your comment about this being a good team and being better without Rondo, if Rondo's traded you'll see in short order how bad this team is.  None of Smart, Turner or Pressey are on Rondo's level as a PG and it will show.  You'll never admit to it but you'll see plenty of people here stating what will be obvious to all but the most hardcore Rondo-haters like yourself. 
This is a good team without Rondo. A better team actually.

Now THAT is the foolish response.

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 12:45:06 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
If we get Brandan Wright, we will be a much better team.

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 12:49:11 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Foolish response. This is a good team without Rondo. A better team actually. Rondo is not going to bring in anyone from the outside. Btw we are in 9th place now and will fight for 8th place

If DA ends up trading Rondo, he will likely move bass and green as well.  It will mean a full on rebuild, and will take longer than it would have if we would have paired some other players w/ Rondo, Green, Sully, KO.

What is really foolish is thinking that our team, especially without RR, J Green is going to do anything this year.  If those trades happen, they are happening because we are going full rebuild and will be closer to a top level lotto pick than to a low playoff seed.

This is your prediction. While bass and even thornton are likely to be traded,  green does not have to be.  Unlike Rondo he has the ability to bring in guys like Hibbert, Monroe .

Green is in great shape and i dont mind giving him a 4 year deal at 14 million a year.

Players (particularly scorers) want to play with Rondo.  there have been quotes on this.  I've never heard one player saying they want to play with Green.  none. 

If we're dumping Rondo, keeping any of Green, Bass or Thornton is pointless unless Danny's planning on opening up cap space going forward.  not that any FA worth anything would sign with a team that had no established talent on the roster first.

As for your comment about this being a good team and being better without Rondo, if Rondo's traded you'll see in short order how bad this team is.  None of Smart, Turner or Pressey are on Rondo's level as a PG and it will show.  You'll never admit to it but you'll see plenty of people here stating what will be obvious to all but the most hardcore Rondo-haters like yourself. 

Actually i think Turner can replace Rondo well, as PP i am worried about his shot but he is basically Rondo 0.5 with better pace/defense
And i will trade away Bass/Thorton before considering moving Green, If we are trading Green we better get a top 5 lottery position
And i will try to get Lance, too if we can get rid of AB

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
If we get Brandan Wright, we will be a much better team.

Ah, for the good old days, when you could taketh TPs. Trading Rondo for Wright and his remaining years puts us in the tank with Philly.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 12:54:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Can you wake up and stop ignoring rondos incapibility to hit fts, play proper man on man defense?  When are you going to wake up since he had that game vs the Heat in the playoffs?

I guess never. In the last 3 years rondo leading the team , what has our winning percentage looked like?

Players want to play with Rondo? Who has he brought in as a FA so far?  You think durant or aldrige are dying to become a celtic next season?

Green is very good friends with monroe and hibbert.  The chance one of them siging here next season is pretty darn good. Depending if danny is also interested

Please wake up to reality. Danny is going to trade Rondo or attempt to bc he is in touch with reality

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

I've had a growing suspicion BBall Tim and Triboy16 are the same person. They are each others perfect foil and neither one will ever back down in the Rondo argument. Now it just remains to be seen who came first, BBallTim and his love for Rondo or triboy and his hate. I doubt they even really know anymore.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 12:59:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Moving rondo will barely impact our performance. Sorry, but we have several years of evidence now that Rondo just doesn't make much of a dent. Two most notable examples are when he went down with his injury in the midst of his best season. The team was under .500 and suddenly played efficient offense and made the playoffs by leaning on pierce more.  Then last season , the team was 6-24 in games rondo played.  We were horrible. 

It should make no impact. Team was bad before and will be bad after.  There's a reason why rondos trade value is a late 1st rounder and a veteran backup.  Teams realize he's a niche player who is only really valuable when surrounded with superstar talent like dirk.

It will be interesting to see what wright does with starter minutes over zeller. It will be fun watching smart develop as the starting pg. Should finish with 25-30 wins regardless of whether or not we move rondo.

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2014, 01:01:59 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Moving rondo will barely impact our performance. Sorry, but we have several years of evidence now that Rondo just doesn't make much of a dent. Two most notable examples are when he went down with his injury in the midst of his best season. The team was under .500 and suddenly played efficient offense and made the playoffs by leaning on pierce more.  Then last season , the team was 6-24 in games rondo played.  We were horrible. 

It should make no impact. Team was bad before and will be bad after.  There's a reason why rondos trade value is a late 1st rounder and a veteran backup.  Teams realize he's a niche player who is only really valuable when surrounded with superstar talent like dirk.
If we trade Rondo we also trade Green. Between the two of them there has to be a negative impact on performance.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Can you wake up and stop ignoring rondos incapibility to hit fts, play proper man on man defense?  When are you going to wake up since he had that game vs the Heat in the playoffs?

I guess never. In the last 3 years rondo leading the team , what has our winning percentage looked like?

Players want to play with Rondo? Who has he brought in as a FA so far?  You think durant or aldrige are dying to become a celtic next season?

Green is very good friends with monroe and hibbert.  The chance one of them siging here next season is pretty darn good. Depending if danny is also interested

Please wake up to reality. Danny is going to trade Rondo or attempt to bc he is in touch with reality

Ok, we get it, you don't like Rondo. Its blatantly obvious, but you don't need to say things that defy the laws of basketball logic and common sense because of it.

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2014, 01:04:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I've had a growing suspicion BBall Tim and Triboy16 are the same person. They are each others perfect foil and neither one will ever back down in the Rondo argument. Now it just remains to be seen who came first, BBallTim and his love for Rondo or triboy and his hate. I doubt they even really know anymore.

I'm convinced that every poster here that's not me is just Roy Hobbs wearing a series of different hats.