Author Topic: What does Marcus Morris next contract look like?  (Read 5787 times)

Re: What does Marcus Morris next contract look like?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2018, 01:27:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he is an excellent pro.  .....serious mindset .... type that are on title teams .  Steady producer off the bench or starting which is a super handy asset

I hope he likes play n for CBS and Boston ,  maybe he would come to favorable agreement to stay.

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 01:48:47 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Mid-level
Not only would I be willing to wager he gets a contract higher than the mid-level exemption but I would also wager he gets a bigger contract than Marcus Smart got last year.

sounds reasonable

I'm expecting the FG% and 3PT% to end up closer to his career norms by the end of the season. Streaky.

He reportedly had a questionable rep while with PHX, and he'll be 30 at the start of next season.

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I asked this earlier. I don’t think we would be able to use our MLE on him, I think his market has risen to the 15k mark at least, taking into account his age

We have his Bird rights, so we can go above the MLE to resign him.

I’d be happy with a 3/$45M contract, he’s been playing great.
Yeah, I agree a nice $15 million a year for 3 years to stay in Boston where he loves it and can gather a few rings sounds good.

My suggestion to avoiding the tax is have Horford opt out and sign a 4 year deal at considerably less per year and allocated that savings to paying Mook and some to offset Kyrie's contract. Horford should take it and try to retire a Celtic and get the rings he so richly deserves.

With Danny's track record of trading away Perk, Pierce, Garnett, Rondo, IT, Crowder, Avery Bradley, etc. ... pretty much every celtic ever regardless of how loyal, dominant, or any positive quality they can bring to the team ... I would not opt out and take lesser money if I were Horford.  I'm not trying to diss Danny, I love all (most) of those trades for the celtics. But from a player's perspective you cannot renegotiate a contract to take lesser money over more years with the expectation that he will keep you in green for the duration of the contract.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 02:01:15 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I asked this earlier. I don’t think we would be able to use our MLE on him, I think his market has risen to the 15k mark at least, taking into account his age

We have his Bird rights, so we can go above the MLE to resign him.

I’d be happy with a 3/$45M contract, he’s been playing great.
Yeah, I agree a nice $15 million a year for 3 years to stay in Boston where he loves it and can gather a few rings sounds good.

My suggestion to avoiding the tax is have Horford opt out and sign a 4 year deal at considerably less per year and allocated that savings to paying Mook and some to offset Kyrie's contract. Horford should take it and try to retire a Celtic and get the rings he so richly deserves.

I think renegotiating with Al will be something that would benefit both sides, so I hope they get that done. Maybe like 4 years $75-80M? That would be an additional 3/$50 to lower the AAV, maybe don’t escalate his salary.

I think there is no escaping the tax, so it’s justt a matter of how high we are willing to go, especially a couple years down the road. Kyrie will get his supermax, obviously Gordon and Smart are set, just a matter of what to do with Al’s contract and then decide on Morris (keep) and Rozier (let go). I still see Brown as the odd man out and will eventually be traded, probably in the offseason or midseason 2019-20. He will cost too much to retain when his rookie contract is up. We can’t have seven guys making $13-35M+ annually.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 03:10:21 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
He is getting Average starter value.  A team that needs scoring and power wing, like the Pelicans will pay for him.  He has built himself a pedigree with the Celtics that should get him paid properly. 

It is highly unlikely the Celtics can pay for him.

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2018, 05:42:29 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
It’s crazy because before the season started I thought of him as a luxury on this team, and not a necessity.  I also thought of him as being an inconsistent player.

However he has been a stabilizing consistent force, and a necessity (at least the moment). Lol. He has been a prototypical small ball 4 that can shoot the 3, create his own shot, and mix it up inside.

My only worry is if this is typical contract year syndrome as he is shooting way above his normal 3 point percentages.  He may also go through a dry spell for a while at some point as he has in the past where we think of him differently than right now. 

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 03:30:55 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
I don't know the cap situation for most teams but one thing will work in our favor - So many players that looked good under Stevens didn't look nearly as good on other teams.  Turner, IT, Crowder, and Bradley have all declined.  I haven't followed Olynyk much.  Maybe other teams will be reluctant to sign him to a long term deal and we get him close to Smart money.  If I'm wrong, my guess is he commands about 18 million per year on the open market.

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 05:21:12 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
If your Danny Ainge, do you place value for Morris as a starter or bench player? You surely can't have two "bench" players making $14M or more per season. I assume the Hayward experiment coming off the bench will end before next season starts, so either Smart or Morris will have to become bench players again. Morris has been their most consistent player all season, and I love what he brings every night. Would a 3 year deal worth $36M work for both sides?

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2018, 05:56:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
re-signed for 25 mil per year contingent on Markieff joining the team for the vet minimum.  They share a bank account.

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2018, 08:57:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
re-signed for 25 mil per year contingent on Markieff joining the team for the vet minimum.  They share a bank account.

That... sounds like a genius idea LOL.

Someone needs to show this to Ainge :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2018, 09:43:00 PM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
I hope he and Evan Turner come back for the vet min to chase a ring when they reach the end of their careers.

Both awesome characters.

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2018, 04:05:52 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Markieff is a very mediocre player who is even worse on defense than Marcus. Why would we want him joining the team? Washington will be happy when they get rid of him and then we're picking him up?

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2018, 06:21:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Markieff is a very mediocre player who is even worse on defense than Marcus. Why would we want him joining the team? Washington will be happy when they get rid of him and then we're picking him up?
You say even worse as if Mook is a bad defender, which is simply not the case. Markieff isn’t as good a shooter, but he’s an inch taller and a bit stronger. Not a mediocre player really. Solid scorer, solid rebounder and solid defender
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 07:08:18 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

You say even worse as if Mook is a bad defender, which is simply not the case. Markieff isn’t as good a shooter, but he’s an inch taller and a bit stronger. Not a mediocre player really. Solid scorer, solid rebounder and solid defender.

Mook looks like he should be a good defender and at the same time isn't. Not terrible per se, but not a good one. Mook has been splendid on offense though and that's the reason he's starting now, but he shouldn't be a starter in the long run since our defense suffers from it.

His brother looks like he's washed up. Yesterday he fouled out against Atlanta in just 17 minutes! That's embarrassing for a veteran player. He doesn't give effort anymore and he's not good enough to get away with that.

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2018, 08:12:58 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

You say even worse as if Mook is a bad defender, which is simply not the case. Markieff isn’t as good a shooter, but he’s an inch taller and a bit stronger. Not a mediocre player really. Solid scorer, solid rebounder and solid defender.

Mook looks like he should be a good defender and at the same time isn't. Not terrible per se, but not a good one. Mook has been splendid on offense though and that's the reason he's starting now, but he shouldn't be a starter in the long run since our defense suffers from it.

His brother looks like he's washed up. Yesterday he fouled out against Atlanta in just 17 minutes! That's embarrassing for a veteran player. He doesn't give effort anymore and he's not good enough to get away with that.
And to think at one point, Markieff was thought to be the better of the two. That being said, I’m sure Markieff is probably suffering from Washington-itis. That’s just a bad situation down there right now.