Author Topic: Bulls fire Fred Hoiberg  (Read 1838 times)

Bulls fire Fred Hoiberg
« on: December 03, 2018, 10:07:54 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Don't really have a horse in the race but it's news. Brought to you by Shams.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1069604722552770561

The Chicago Bulls fired head coach Fred Hoiberg.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Bulls fire Fred Hoiberg
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 10:12:51 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 10:50:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Seems strange since I don't think anyone thought the Bulls would be any good.  Don't follow them closely enough to know if he had some directives from higher up that he wasn't following (like Lue in Cleveland). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:03:50 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I mean Hoiberg's not a great coach, but he also didn't drop ~$40 million per year two of the most empty calorie wings in the league, or get Markannen & Dunn hurt for that matter. Front office needs to be pointing some fingers at themselves here (on the signings, not the injury obv)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:12:00 AM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 11:07:00 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Surprise for me.
Bulls were oftentimes cheap (Thibs fireing came late due to money).
Also, they missed 2 starters up to this point while being a rebuilding team. Makeing any success resultwise harder to achieve.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I have a feeling he'll get a second chance somewhere and have a shot at doing better.

Feels like the Bulls never gave him the personnel to play the way he wanted.

That team is taking on a very iffy identity with Zach "Me" Lavine and Jabari "Defense?" Parker.  Not to mention Bobby "What did you say to me?" Portis.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 12:15:41 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
The team has 5 wins, guys. I know they're not winning a title any time soon, but their team is good enough to be doing better than this.

Also, he's obviously not their coach of the future, so I guess the front office wants to shake things up while the team is continuing to find its identity. You don't find your Brad Stevens unless you move Doc Rivers.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 12:18:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I have a feeling he'll get a second chance somewhere and have a shot at doing better.

Feels like the Bulls never gave him the personnel to play the way he wanted.

That team is taking on a very iffy identity with Zach "Me" Lavine and Jabari "Defense?" Parker.  Not to mention Bobby "What did you say to me?" Portis.

Maybe someone will give Hoiberg another chance, but that seems questionable. He really didn't do anything to warrant another chance.

But the Bulls front office is obviously the real issue. They should be building around Markkanen and Carter, but by bringing in a guy like Parker they really have muddled up their front court, considering Portis himself is a gunner. Add LaVine in the mix (another gunner), and you have too many gunners and not enough shots. It just seems like such poor roster management to put so many impediments in the way of developing your two most prized assets.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The team has 5 wins, guys. I know they're not winning a title any time soon, but their team is good enough to be doing better than this.

Also, he's obviously not their coach of the future, so I guess the front office wants to shake things up while the team is continuing to find its identity. You don't find your Brad Stevens unless you move Doc Rivers.
Are they really good enough to be better than that?  Especially with Dunn and Markkanen playing in 1 game and Portis in just 4.  I mean the regular rotation includes Justin Holiday, Ryan Arcidiacono, Antonio Blakeney, and Chandler Hutchison.  There isn't a single plus defender in the backcourt or on the wings.  Their 2 best players are inefficient chuckers in Parker and LaVine (without Dunn or Markkanen healthy). 

The Bulls just aren't any good. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 12:38:12 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
You won't find many Bulls fans shedding tears over this although Forman & Paxson really should be the ones getting more of the heat.   

That roster is a mish-mash of borderline NBA talent & gunners.   At this point, just bottom out and hope the lottery gods treat you well.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 12:46:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Let the real tanking begin

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 01:00:35 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Hooberg was a good college coach at Iowa State.  He basically revived the program from mediocre to a number of ncaa tournament appearances with ISU consistently in the top 25.  They  also won a few big 12  tourneys along the way.  He ran a very pro style offense at ISU, lots of space and pace and prioritized the 3 ball.  He was seen as one of best up and coming college coaches.

Unfortunately that also made him a target for a couple of nba teams, most interested were the bulls and Minnesota, where he played with KG and was in the front office.  I thought it was a mistake for Fred to jump to the NBA, particularly the Bulls.  Their lineup was old (bad), the team was fractured from how the front office got rid of Tibbs, and it got worse after he got there.  Forman and Paxson tossed a lot of money at Fred and he eventually made what seemed like a financial choice instead of a basketball choice.  I felt if he was going  to the nba start with Minnesota where they had young talent that would be given a longer time to develop.  Ownership in Minnesota would have likely been more patient than in Chicago.

Hard to know if he will get another shot at an NBA job, but there will be dozens of high level college programs that are likely to contact him at some point.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:17:56 PM by blink »

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 01:03:56 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Are they really good enough to be better than that?  Especially with Dunn and Markkanen playing in 1 game and Portis in just 4.  I mean the regular rotation includes Justin Holiday, Ryan Arcidiacono, Antonio Blakeney, and Chandler Hutchison.  There isn't a single plus defender in the backcourt or on the wings.  Their 2 best players are inefficient chuckers in Parker and LaVine (without Dunn or Markkanen healthy). 

The Bulls just aren't any good.
Also Valentine is out for the year.
Their roster is Swiss cheese.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 02:22:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Like the guy .

He was cannon fodder waiting for the tank to roll over him .

Most likey he is not a tanking kind of coach . He is gonna play to win with what ever they give him. 

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 05:48:30 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Kudos to Rondo for giving Hoiberg his two only playoff wins as Bulls head coach.