Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 76860 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 season
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2020, 03:09:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Looks like video replay and review of pass interference calls will be a thing of the past.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29021578/nfl-competition-committee-endorse-pass-interference-reviews-sky-judge

The NFL competition committee has decided not to endorse a renewal of replay review for pass interference, according to a list of rule proposals released Friday by the league.

The committee also declined to endorse a pair of team proposals for versions of a sky judge concept, making it possible that the NFL will abandon recent intervention and return to the rules it had in place for its controversial 2018 NFC Championship Game.

Owners usually follow the committee's recommendations and rarely approve proposals submitted by individual teams. A notable exception came last year, when owners pushed the committee to write a proposal for reviewing pass interference calls and non-calls. Commissioner Roger Goodell was among those who wanted a tangible response to a missed call that helped the Los Angeles Rams defeat the New Orleans Saints and advance to Super Bowl LIII.

The rule led to the NFL reviewing subjective decisions for the first time, and its execution flummoxed players, coaches and fans. Senior vice president of officiating Al Riveron was never able to establish a consistent standard for what would and would not be overturned.

Because the rule was passed on a one-year experimental basis, it would need to be approved again through a vote of owners to continue.

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2020, 07:11:41 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Looks like video replay and review of pass interference calls will be a thing of the past.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29021578/nfl-competition-committee-endorse-pass-interference-reviews-sky-judge

The NFL competition committee has decided not to endorse a renewal of replay review for pass interference, according to a list of rule proposals released Friday by the league.

The committee also declined to endorse a pair of team proposals for versions of a sky judge concept, making it possible that the NFL will abandon recent intervention and return to the rules it had in place for its controversial 2018 NFC Championship Game.

Owners usually follow the committee's recommendations and rarely approve proposals submitted by individual teams. A notable exception came last year, when owners pushed the committee to write a proposal for reviewing pass interference calls and non-calls. Commissioner Roger Goodell was among those who wanted a tangible response to a missed call that helped the Los Angeles Rams defeat the New Orleans Saints and advance to Super Bowl LIII.

The rule led to the NFL reviewing subjective decisions for the first time, and its execution flummoxed players, coaches and fans. Senior vice president of officiating Al Riveron was never able to establish a consistent standard for what would and would not be overturned.

Because the rule was passed on a one-year experimental basis, it would need to be approved again through a vote of owners to continue.

Just don't have 4 Los Angeles referees officiating a Los Angeles-New Orleans playoff game again, or anything of that matter lol. It was obvious that game was rigged in favor of the Rams.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2020, 10:35:59 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'll always be a Pats fan through and through, but it'll be exciting to watch what Brady still has in the tank when he has an offense with actual pieces (which the Patriots didn't have). I wouldn't be surprised if he has a comeback year with the Bucs. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Pats have one of the worst offenses in the league next year.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2020, 08:50:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The punishments for the Pats’ sideline videotaping were handed down today:

$1.1 million in club fines.
Loss of 2021 third-round pick.
Patriots’ TV crews not allowed to shoot games during 2020 season.

Pats also signed Cam Newton to a one year deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2020, 08:53:49 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

Absolutely atrocious. I can't believe they got docked a 3rd round pick for filming a documentary.

But that Cam Newton signing might be a steal. This team might be going to places again if he beats out Stidham. This team has a pretty decent offense now unlike last season.

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2020, 09:00:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Absolutely atrocious. I can't believe they got docked a 3rd round pick for filming a documentary.

But that Cam Newton signing might be a steal. This team might be going to places again if he beats out Stidham. This team has a pretty decent offense now unlike last season.

LOL when Roy posted that I actually thought at first that the "signing Cam Newton" was part of the punishment  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But I agree. I'm actually psyched about the signing. Low risk, high reward and theoretically I think Newton actually fits the offense pretty well. Of course though, it'll come down to health which is the major issue, but again, it's a low-risk sign and probably leads to a good QB battle going into next season between Stidham and Newton. I imagine Cam will also feel he has some things to prove. If anything, I'm a bit surprised it took this long to happen, but maybe there was zero interest in Cam and the Pats + Belichick decided, "screw it, lets take a chance"
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2020, 09:03:35 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

LOL when Roy posted that I actually thought at first that the "signing Cam Newton" was part of the punishment  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But I agree. I'm actually psyched about the signing. Low risk, high reward and theoretically I think Newton actually fits the offense pretty well. Of course though, it'll come down to health which is the major issue, but again, it's a low-risk sign and probably leads to a good QB battle going into next season between Stidham and Newton. I imagine Cam will also feel he has some things to prove. If anything, I'm a bit surprised it took this long to happen, but maybe there was zero interest in Cam and the Pats + Belichick decided, "screw it, lets take a chance"

Bill will incorporate some RPO-type offense. We got a running QB. Hoyer doesn't have the legs, but Cam definitely does.

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2020, 09:05:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Insane punishment. League has always had it out for us though.

Would be hilarious if Cam could lead this team somewhere deep. Have to imagine he'll beat out Stidham.

If (maybe the biggest 'if' I've ever written) he can stay healthy then he'll likely be really solid
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2020, 09:08:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Bill will incorporate some RPO-type offense. We got a running QB. Hoyer doesn't have the legs, but Cam definitely does.

The thing is, I think the plan is to do what also worked for us back in the 2nd half of 2018, which was power football (lots of running and blocking). We tried to do it last year but unfortunately injuries really killed us since Develin went out, Gronk retired, some of our RBs missed time during the season, and our O-line got battered and Newhouse was an abysmal disaster. We basically couldn't run the ball effectively as a result and Brady barely had protection, plus most of our weapons sucked and guys like Edelman played banged up. But in our recent draft, we added an FB, some TE's, some O-Line and Andrews is returning. We still have pretty much our whole RB unit and maybe Damien Harris gets playing time.

But yes, Newton can help us out with some RPO-plays, and can actually move around better than Brady did (not to knock Brady). Makes the offense more dynamic. We'll see how it works

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2020, 09:15:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

*Patriots sign Newton. Newton leaves 2021. Pats get compensatory 3rd round pick in 2022*

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2020, 09:20:07 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Your guess in June (presume health for both):

Who is better, 31 yo Newton or 43 yo Brady?

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2020, 09:23:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Tough question. Presuming health for Newton is a big ask ;)

Brady has much better weapons around him though, and likely will be able to dictate the offence more to how he wants it run, rather than Newton, who will be buying into Bill's offence.

I think Brady likely will be better, but that's not to say Newton won't be good. I do worry about his rushing though. I think gone are the days of him rushing for 600+ yards and 8+ TD's
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2020, 09:26:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Brady.

I am expecting little to nothing from Cam. 38 sacks a year and 110 rushes a year for 8 years is an awful lot of wear and tear, even for a physical specimen like Newton.

Given his injury history, having Newton run RPO's is a recipe for disaster for that man's ability to stay healthy. And I am not sure he is good enough to be just a pocket passer.

Hopefully he sticks and helps to mentor Stidham, if the Pats do indeed go to an offense more designed for QB mobility.

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2020, 09:26:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Brady.

Part of the reason I say that is because we still haven't seen Newton play in a while, and we don't know if he's fully healthy or not. Also, while Brady deserved some blame, I still think a large part of our failures last year were from injuries and the lack of weapons. O-Line was also battered most of the year. With Tampa and their weapons, I think Brady will have a great year and put up some sexy numbers again.

But hey, if Newton actually plays like an MVP next season (if there is one), I won't complain  :)

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2020, 09:33:44 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Cam Newton is sure more exciting than Jarrett Stidham. Take us back to the promised land!