Author Topic: Sign and trade TA (along with Davis) to Orlando for Battie  (Read 11877 times)

Sign and trade TA (along with Davis) to Orlando for Battie
« on: June 19, 2008, 10:08:07 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
TA needs to be signed to a deal around 4.5 mil a year. 

For the Celtics.   

1) it solves the back up C role on this team for then next 3 years.  It adds a veteran big man that knows how to rebound and defend. 

2) Pruitt (or a 1st round rookie) can step into the role of 4th/5th G

3) Team doesn't need both Davis and Powe.  I went with keeping Powe because he brings better energy and (sorry to say this) I am not worried about him eating his way out of the league. 

4) Doesn't subtract from the top 8 players on the Celtics (as long as Posey and House are retained)

For the Magic.

1) it is a possible upgrade at SG.  TA has shown to be an above average player when starting on a bad team.  He could be that starting on a good team. 

Re: Sign and trade TA (along with Davis) to Orlando for Battie
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:10:54 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
Tony Battie was always one of my favorite Celtics from before but doesn't he have some health concerns?

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:12:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Tony Battie was always one of my favorite Celtics from before but doesn't he have some health concerns?

He had a torn rotator cuff in his shoulder.  Shouldn't be a problem this year.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:14:36 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I really like Battie as a backup big man here.

I think it's going to be hard to use Tony in any sign and trades, though.  The Base Year Compensation rule pretty much precludes that.  It's a tricky rule, but basically, if we signed Tony to a raise of greater than 20%, his salary would only count as 50% of his actual salary in terms of making a trade match up, salary wise.  The salary of the incoming player, on the other hand, counts at 100% of their actual salary.

For more, see here.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:18:04 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Or they could just sign Tony Allen for 3mil per and keep Battie .... a player their GM loves and is delighted to have healthy for next season and whom he believes will make the difference for them in the paint next season by giving Dwight the help he needs.

I'm not sold Orlando would even be interested in Tony Allen. Their GM has a one-track mind and the only thing he's thinking about is shooters for Dwight on the perimeter. Why add a SG that can't shoot? I don't think Otis would want that.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 10:21:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Boston could match Orlando. 

Yeah, Orlando most likely would not do such a trade. 

(especially if Scali would be needed to make it work)

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 10:28:57 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I agree that BBD could be expendable with Powe also on the roster.  I do not think we should give up on Tony Allen yet though.  Although he didnt get much time in the playoffs, we heard about how he won us the game in LA this year with Ray out.  We have always known him to be an above average defender, and the times this year that our offense looks most stagnant is when nobody wants to drive to the rim.  In game 5 Tony came off the bench and defended as well as drive and had 6 points of the bench.  Im not saying he could be worth the 4.5M, but he is not somebody we should look to send out of town for Battie. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 10:30:20 AM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
No Thanks. How about Juwon Howard?

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 10:31:49 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Davis is a special player.  He may be behind Powe at the moment, but we have no idea what his ceiling is and T.A could potentially have a big year without any injuries making him a steal.  These two players are have too much potential for a has been, never done anything back up.  Nice thought though.  What about Nedad Cristic?  Aren't the nets shaking things up?  Maybe they'll take scal back ;)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 10:34:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

No.  he is an aging short PF.  Celtics do not need another short PF on the bench. 

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 10:34:43 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

For the Celtics.   

1) it solves the back up C role on this team for then next 3 years.  It adds a veteran big man that knows how to rebound and defend. 

3) Team doesn't need both Davis and Powe.  I went with keeping Powe because he brings better energy and (sorry to say this) I am not worried about him eating his way out of the league. 

4) Doesn't subtract from the top 8 players on the Celtics (as long as Posey and House are retained)

For the Magic.

1) it is a possible upgrade at SG.  TA has shown to be an above average player when starting on a bad team.  He could be that starting on a good team. 

BBD is a better prospect than Battie at this point and Pruitt doesn't have the same skill set as TA so he doesn't really cover the things lost in moving TA.

plus, Powe and BBD don't duplicate each other IMO. BBD can guard the C position which Powe is not big enough to do..

Pruitt more likely is an Eddie replacement....but i hope we bring back Eddie for at least one more year so this team can have another run at this thing.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 10:38:47 AM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59

No thanks. How about we sign NO ONE?

Is this some kind of trade rumor fever? Is it contagious?  :-\

Why is everyone obsessed with trading now, the parade hasn't even started, man, and all you think about how to get rid some of our players who did impossible, compared to where we were last season!

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 10:39:21 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

For the Celtics.   

For the Magic.

BBD is a better prospect than Battie at this point and Pruitt doesn't have the same skill set as TA so he doesn't really cover the things lost in moving TA.

plus, Powe and BBD don't duplicate each other IMO. BBD can guard the C position which Powe is not big enough to do..

Pruitt more likely is an Eddie replacement....but i hope we bring back Eddie for at least one more year so this team can have another run at this thing.

1) Celtics are going for number 18 next year.   Battie is a better fit off the bench next to Powe then Davis.  He replaces PJ.  Davis being a better long term prospect doesn't matter.

2) TA when on his game is hard to replace.   Unfortunately off the bench, TA is rarely on his game, and then he is easy to replace.  TA might be one of those role players that need to start.  Something he can't do here.  

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 10:41:43 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

No thanks. How about we sign NO ONE?

Is this some kind of trade rumor fever? Is it contagious?  :-\

Why is everyone obsessed with trading now, the parade hasn't even started, man, and all you think about how to get rid some of our players who did impossible, compared to where we were last season!

Because it is the nature of sports.  Even though the team won, how can they improve so they have a better chance to win number 2.  How do the Celtics replace and upgrade the backup C (PJ) who is likely to retire. 

There is only so many 'Celtics are awesome' post you can write and read before you get a little board with that topic (though not board with the actual winning)

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 10:47:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Tony Battie would be a perfect fit here, however, I don't think we have a package that could get it done and I have to think that anyone we bring in needs to be a non-question health-wise from the get go. I don't want another Scot Pollard waste of roster spot again.

Also, are there rumors that Orlando has interest in Allen? I'm wondering just how interested and large a market there is for Allen.