Author Topic: BOS / DEN trade idea  (Read 30583 times)

BOS / DEN trade idea
« on: May 02, 2008, 02:57:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Word is Camby is on the block.  Would you do this trade?

Boston trades: Perk, BBD, Tony
Denver trades: Marcus Camby

Why for Boston: Boston receives an elite defensive center, who can also stretch the floor and free up room for KG inside.  Camby is a bit long in the tooth, but has had two healthy seasons in a row.  We probably don't need Tony any more, and losing BBD doesn't hurt too badly because we have Powe as a replacement.

Why for Denver: They clear up salary, as Perk has a cheap contract, and Tony and BBD are expiring.  If Denver so chooses, they get three young players they can develop for the future; if they don't work out, they can let them walk away.  It also gives them a young defensive center, who perhaps throws the best outlet pass in the league for starting the fast break.

This is definitely a "win now" move for Boston.  Thoughts?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: BOS / DEN trade idea
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 03:03:27 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
I think I'd do it.  I love Perk and what he's done.  Really like what BBD has shown us but could handle losing him with Powe still here - like you said.  Tony still has an upside somewhere, but I wouldn't cry if he were not here.  All in all having KG and Camby down low would be just rediculous.  Noone would be able to even come in the paint.  Add Camby and keep him healthy for a whole season and you may actually have the best defensive team ever...Posey, Rondo, KG, Camby. 
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 03:07:54 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
before the playoffs, yes, i would have done it. would have hated it because i like davis and perk, but would have done it.

Now, i'd rather develop perk, rather than add more age to the front court.

still intersting though.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 03:09:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
It makes both teams worse and Denver can definitely get a better offer

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 03:11:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

How does it make Boston worse, especially in the short term?

I get the impression that Tony isn't part of the future, and his role can be taken by Pruitt.  BBD is decent, but I like what Powe can do when given heavier minutes.  I like Perk a lot, but Camby is a much better offensive player, and his defense is better, as well.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 03:12:41 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Interesting, but I am just overly weary about Camby.  That would make the Cs very thin up front (as in thin bodied, not too few players).  I also don't like that Camby has no post game offensively, as if people don't complain enough on here that KG doesn't work in the post.  I like what Perk provides... if he could only get a smidgen quicker!

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 03:15:09 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Word is Camby is on the block.  Would you do this trade?

Boston trades: Perk, BBD, Tony
Denver trades: Marcus Camby

Why for Boston: Boston receives an elite defensive center, who can also stretch the floor and free up room for KG inside.  Camby is a bit long in the tooth, but has had two healthy seasons in a row.  We probably don't need Tony any more, and losing BBD doesn't hurt too badly because we have Powe as a replacement.

Why for Denver: They clear up salary, as Perk has a cheap contract, and Tony and BBD are expiring.  If Denver so chooses, they get three young players they can develop for the future; if they don't work out, they can let them walk away.  It also gives them a young defensive center, who perhaps throws the best outlet pass in the league for starting the fast break.

This is definitely a "win now" move for Boston.  Thoughts?

I think it's a great trade idea for both teams, basketball and business wise...But i would hate to see Perk go,really...

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 03:23:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
from my post in the 'Nugget offseason' thread

No.  With KG at PF, the Celtics need a C that is a better man on defender at C, not the great weakside blocker/defender.

Rather the Celtics go for a cheaper option as a 2nd C to compliment Perkins.  (I would love to find a way to add Diop)

Plus, there is no chance the Celtics will add a fourth near max player.

As to back it up, opposing C have a 17.9 per against Camby.  Camby's own per will drop with the Celtics because
1) The Celtics have defensive perimeter players.  There will not be the same number of block shot opportunities.
2) The rebounding will drop because of playing next to KG and having to come away from the basket as part of the Celtics defense. 

http://www.82games.com/0708/07DEN17C.HTM

Opposing C have a 14.2 per against Perkins. 

http://www.82games.com/0708/07BOS14C.HTM

Camby is the much better help defender.  Perkins is the much better man on man defender. 

With KG, the help defender is not needed as much.  The guy that can body up against the big Cs is. 

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 03:24:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

How does it make Boston worse, especially in the short term?

I get the impression that Tony isn't part of the future, and his role can be taken by Pruitt.  BBD is decent, but I like what Powe can do when given heavier minutes.  I like Perk a lot, but Camby is a much better offensive player, and his defense is better, as well.

I agree with what Wdleehi said in another thread, the Denver offseason moves one.

The Celtics need a man-to-man post defender with heft next to KG. Not a weakside shot blocker.

Camby is the fourth best post defender on his own team behind Kenyon, Nene and Najera. He doesn't provide what this team needs.

Camby's offensive game is almost non-existent these days. Perk scores more than he does if you account for the minutes (7ppg in 24mpg versus 9ppg in 35mpg). Perk's almost as good of a passer. Perk shoots 60+% from the floor, Camby shoots 45%. Another jump shooter too. You're not gaining anything offensively.

Camby is also an overrated rebounder. He snares a lot but he doesn't box out well. That's why the Nuggets are in the bottom 10 in the league for protecting their defensive backboards.

He doesn't help. Defensively is the biggest reason.

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 03:32:21 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Merge my thread you killed?    ;)

http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=17190.0;topicseen

I like this trade idea but I'm not sure the #'s work. Did you run this through Realgm?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 03:42:51 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Merge my thread you killed?    ;)

http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=17190.0;topicseen

I like this trade idea but I'm not sure the #'s work. Did you run this through Realgm?

The numbers match up almost exactly.  Perk + Tony (after he accept the qualifying offer) + BBD = roughly $7.5 million, Camby = $8 million

Since your thread is more of a "fix the Nuggets" thread, I'm going to keep the two separate for now.  If they continue to go in similar directions, we'll merge them.

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 03:43:52 PM »

Offline ktw7

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
How is a defensive player of the year for three bench players (in Denver) a fair trade? Perkins is too slow for Denver, and lets be honest at 6 pts 6 rebs he's not a lock to be  starting Center on another team. This trade isn't fair at all, Camby is very valuable. To be fair it would have to be something like "Powe, Perkins and a first rounder" or something.

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I don't like this at all. Camby is a too thin big man who has missed 30+ % of the games in his career. He is 34 years old and is going to start slowing down quickly. His game is built on athleticism and quickness and this will make him older faster. Perk is a 23 yr old improving player who has a legitimate center's strength. His extra long arms make him play much bigger than his height. He will be a solid defensive presence for years to come and should get better offensively as he goes.

BBD is definitely a duplicate of Powe, but can be traded for something better.

TA can be traded for a sack of rusty nails as far as I am concerned...

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 03:48:04 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
How is a defensive player of the year for three bench players (in Denver) a fair trade? Perkins is too slow for Denver, and lets be honest at 6 pts 6 rebs he's not a lock to be  starting Center on another team. This trade isn't fair at all, Camby is very valuable. To be fair it would have to be something like "Powe, Perkins and a first rounder" or something.

This trade gives Denver Cap space they desire and a serviceable starting Center.

Let me pose you a question. What do you think Denver is looking for?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 03:49:09 PM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
34 years old? No, thanks.