Author Topic: Would Bird be able to be a small ball 5 in today's NBA?  (Read 6241 times)

Would Bird be able to be a small ball 5 in today's NBA?
« on: April 06, 2016, 06:39:18 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Hi everybody, I was thinking about this in class today and felt you wonderful people would like to tear this idea to shreds. Mild disclaimer - I am 23, so any of my knowledge of Bird has come from hours of watching various youtube Celtics games and various highlight reels.

So here it goes. I believe the value Bird would provide offensively as a small ball 5 would outweigh the defensive lapses he would create by the nature of playing out of position. The offensive positives are too vast to delve into, so lets focus on defense. At 6'9" tall, he would actually have the height to not give up much size on that end of the floor. His playing weight of 220 (lets for a second assume he would play at this although with modern conditioning programs it wouldn't be a huge leap to assume he would be stronger and heavier) is low for typical small ball centers. He also lacks the leaping ability to make up for his lack of height in regards to rim protection.

But- Larry Legend was tough as nails. Everyone who has ever even discussed basketball knows that one fact about Bird. I think that he would at least be able to hold his own in one on one scenarios against most centers due to resilience alone. Larry would also be considerably quicker then most centers and could wreak havoc in the paint by stripping the ball and getting into passing lanes.

Also he could rebound like a center. Enough said.

Summary: While Bird would most likely be a small net negative at the 5 defensively, I think that would be overshadowed by his shooting/passing/driving ability at a position that isn't very skilled at the moment.

PS- This isn't to say that his best utilization wouldn't be a power forward (now) but I think Bird could hold his own at the 5 in super small ball lineups.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:45:51 PM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

Re: Would Bird be able to be a small ball 5 in today's NBA?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 06:41:35 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Bird, I don't think so.

Cowens, definitely. A man ahead of his time?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 06:45:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
In short stints maybe.  I think he'd have played the 4 from day 1 in today's league, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 06:48:33 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
In short stints maybe.  I think he'd have played the 4 from day 1 in today's league, though.

Yea, you actually answered that as I was writing a PS at the bottom of the post. Bird would destroy modern 4s. But even if you stuck Bird on this team, for small stints lineups that featured Thomas/Bradley/Smart/Crowder/Bird could be fun.
#JKJB

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
As long as he's not defending opposing 5s, I don't see why not.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 06:58:33 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Larry bird would play a position and dominate in today's nba.  Doesn't matter what # you'd assign him.  I long to see great passing like when Larry and magic played.

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 07:39:43 PM »

Offline lefty12

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Bird, I don't think so.

Cowens, definitely. A man ahead of his time?

Good call on cowens. Guarded wilt & Kareem @ 6'8"

LB was the original "point forward"

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 07:50:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Against certain teams. I wouldn't want him defending the post against DMC, and maybe Lopez and KAT.  Drummond and Jordan would be issues. Realistically, though, he could probably body up 15+ centers.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 09:51:55 AM »

• Jim Loscutoff
Against certain teams. I wouldn't want him defending the post against DMC, and maybe Lopez and KAT.  Drummond and Jordan would be issues. Realistically, though, he could probably body up 15+ centers.

Honestly that was what I was worried about. Certain centers would obviously take advantage of Bird, but since the game has grown so far away from the basket, I think he could play the 5 against a few teams. Also the ability to keep so many shooters and ball handlers around him on the floor could make it a pain in the butt for almost any team to contain their ball novement. Obviously this would have only been for spurts.
#JKJB

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 09:54:28 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
In today's NBA I see him as a perfect 4. 5 might be a stretch.

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 10:03:13 AM »

• Jim Loscutoff
In today's NBA I see him as a perfect 4. 5 might be a stretch.

I agree 100%, but I guess the point of my post was to talk about certain matchups. For example, if you take our team, slap bird at the 5, and play the warriors, I think we could stand a real chance when they went small with green. When they subbed bogut in we could counter with a KO/sully swap to get some mass in there. Pushing bird to the 4.
#JKJB

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 10:08:24 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
It really depends on how one defines a "small ball 5."  Given that we have seen the likes of Brandon Bass, Big Baby Davis, and Jared Sullinger all fill that role on the team, of course Bird "could" play the "small ball 5" and given his enormous talent it would probably be a net positive for the team.  You could probably say the same of Bird playing any position on the floor.   

But how long one would want to forgo having a traditional shot blocking center on the court is certainly a matter for debate. 

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 10:59:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No.

Considering he retired because of his back, why would you want to put more stress on it by having him defend bigger men.

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He'd be used more like Parsons when he was young and Dirk when he was older.

Big 3 or Quick 4 depending on the game, then C for true small ball groups.

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 11:22:02 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
No.

Considering he retired because of his back, why would you want to put more stress on it by having him defend bigger men.
Same thing I was thinking. Defending the post is brutal on the back. The one time I experienced sciatica was due to post defense.