Author Topic: Romeo Langford(merged threads)  (Read 91471 times)

Re: Romeo Langford(merged threads)
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2019, 08:59:56 AM »

Offline pablohoney

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
I’m not sure why people are so down on this kid. He hasn’t played a minute for the team and it feels like everyone has alreadyj)7 buried him as a bad pick/bust. He’s got some unique tools as far as style of play and he pretty good size for someone his age. Not saying he will work out but he’s the type of high ceiling gamble you take at that range.

It's probably one of those things where when you pick someone at 14 the first things you don't want to hear are:

1. He has a broken jumpshot.
2. He needs surgery.
3. Other than that he's great.

4. he's a wing! when you already have to many of those to start with!

The value proposition is this: he was a blue-chip prospect out of high school. Consensus high lottery pick. Then he had a bad freshman year. It might be because he’s not actually all that (that seems to be case with Nassir Little); it might be because of situational factors that are temporary, like a treatable hand injury or mechanics he has the talent and discipline to correct with proper coaching.

Ainge and co looked at him and bet this is temporary. If they’re right, the pick will pay off very nicely. If they’re wrong, they made their bet and failed, and they can be judged. What I find a little harder to get is why ppl who didn’t interview him or work him out or watch film, and who know almost nothing about his injury, are convinced *right now* that he’s a bust. The factors ppl are citing aren’t all that compelling to me - I remember people arguing against the Js when they were picked because their college careers supposedly showed these guys can’t shoot 3s.

If his shot is fixable and he turns into a high-lottery caliber wing - and we get him at 14 - we will be more than fine.

Difference between Nasir Little and Langford is that Langford was highly touted prospect for a couple of years.  Nasir Little had one great game in McDonalds All Star game and his stock soared overnight.

« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2019, 11:21:58 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Most of the complaints I have seen seem to revolve around:
1) They drafted Langford over my binkie.
2) I like to make uniformed decisions based on gut instincts and hot takes.
3) They really should have drafted my binkie!

So people who dont like the langford pick are either misinformed or upset that their own choices were not good?
...or don't really watch college ball. Just to do a little comparison with one of our own, PP34 shot about as bad (30%) as Langford his freshman season. Just saying, since Lang reminds me of Pierce, especially how aggressive he can be taking it to the hoop. The shot will come. It's not like it's broken, just needs to correct and repeat mechanics.

pierce had far more skill in college. Postups, size, passing ability, high BBall IQ, great defender. Most reports pre draft had Pierce with only 2 weaknesses...inconsitant outside shot and turnovers. Romeo has those plus more

And again, I have no concerns about shooting, anyone anywhere can be a good shooter by just working on it. Hard work will make you a good shooter. Its really as simple as that.
Pierce also played 3 years at Kansas and developed those skills. I'm comparing Langford's and PP's freshman seasons only. Pierce was a little green at the time as well and I'm not sure he played with a thumb injury most of season, though I could be wrong.

Romeo Langford
« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2019, 09:50:52 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I did a deep dive into Langford last night.  I will share links to all the video analysis I found on him below.   

Strengths and Weaknesses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FnZrEmorIw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HsAQjfoKho

His Jumpshot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSDlqk945X8&t=168s

Red Flags
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S81YtQB15OE

My synthesis.  In short, people aren't going to like this, his ceiling is probably Evan Turner but more realistically he looks like another James Young.   

The good:
Putting up 16 ppg and 5 rpg on 44% Fg and 27% 3p for a 19-16 Indiana team definitely shows potential.  He finishes well and gets to the rim effectively with his right hand.  His pick-n-roll scoring was elite (90th percentile in college).     

The bad:
He's a defensive train-wreck.  Lack of effort and awareness combine to make him a true liability.  His off-ball offense is almost as bad as he frequently seems to check out as soon as the ball leaves his hands.  His shot is no secret and is currently being retooled by the Celtics.  He had a lot of turnovers as a ball-handler (blamed on his thumb injury) but struggles to go left or score with his left hand.     

Re: Romeo Langford
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2019, 10:13:00 AM »

Offline wreckoner

• NCE
  • Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 11
Dang, if only the Celtics front office had had access to those YouTube videos before the draft!

« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2019, 10:57:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m not sure that a handful of YouTube videos is a “deep dive”.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2019, 11:06:37 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
It's way to early to be trying to predict what Romeo will be. He's a bit of a project at this point, no surprise there given that he's a mid-round pick. He was dealing with a hand injury in college, so it's hard to put much stock in his shot at this point.

« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2019, 11:21:54 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
He's a much better athlete than James Young, and many scouts said he was an elite finisher, maybe the 2nd best in the draft. I don't think he compares to Young at all, other than the bust potential.

While I agree with the boom or bust sentiment, his ceiling is much higher than Turner, imo. I think it was Himmelsbach that said the Celtics think his shot can be corrected and he'll be a 20/ppg scorer.

« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2019, 11:29:50 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Oh boy, it's another "muh James Young" comparison. even when it makes little sense. All we need is a "hope he doesn't turn out like Jeff Green". and the Celtics circle of life is complete
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2019, 12:13:20 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
He's a much better athlete than James Young, and many scouts said he was an elite finisher, maybe the 2nd best in the draft. I don't think he compares to Young at all, other than the bust potential.

While I agree with the boom or bust sentiment, his ceiling is much higher than Turner, imo. I think it was Himmelsbach that said the Celtics think his shot can be corrected and he'll be a 20/ppg scorer.

Watching him on offense his game reminded me of an old school guy. I know a couple of posters mentioned a young Paul Pierce, but I will go a little further back and say Walt Frazier. His efficiency at the rim and change of pace moves reminds me of Walt Frazier. Even the hitch in his “broken shot” looks like Frazier’s to me.

Frazier was engaged on defense, getting steals and stops when his team really needed them, so hopefully Smart will get on him about that aspect of his game.

« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2019, 12:24:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Watching him on offense his game reminded me of an old school guy. I know a couple of posters mentioned a young Paul Pierce, but I will go a little further back and say Walt Frazier. His efficiency at the rim and change of pace moves reminds me of Walt Frazier. Even the hitch in his “broken shot” looks like Frazier’s to me.

Frazier was engaged on defense, getting steals and stops when his team really needed them, so hopefully Smart will get on him about that aspect of his game.

TP for the Clyde reference.

Cowens: Walt Frazier was overrated on defense, and underrated on offense.

« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2019, 12:31:11 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I'm more enamored with Edwards and Grant tbh... These 2 are going to be having roles right off the bat whereas Langford will get the Rozier treatment in his rookie season.. An occasional player off the bench.. I can see no more than 5 min per game for Langford in this squad.. Just too many players ahead of him in the depth department.

« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2019, 01:00:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Even if one likes the Evan Turner comp, as I do to some degree, Evan Turner was a good player on the Celtics.  Can you imagine what his career would have looked like if Brad Stevens has started coaching him at 19 instead of 25?  I’d take that at pick 14 with zero regrets.

« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2019, 01:22:44 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It’s funny reading people’s opinions on Langford before he’s ever played a game at this level.  Who really knows right now.  I look at his weaknesses differently.  If Langford’s jump shot is indeed broken, he must have some real strengths to go in the lottery.

My pie in the sky comp for Langford (in terms of style) is demar derozen.  Seem very similar to me.

« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2019, 01:28:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I wonder if Herro was on the board

What domino effect it may have had?

Langford style reminds me of Jayson Tatum, a 6'6 sg version

Langford has tricks/able to squeeze shots in. Good at floaters and off the board. Just not an explosive athlete nor deadly shooter

Evan Turner.. the only thing I remember from his game was the side to side dribble, stop and pullup mid range.

« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2019, 01:30:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Even if one likes the Evan Turner comp, as I do to some degree, Evan Turner was a good player on the Celtics.  Can you imagine what his career would have looked like if Brad Stevens has started coaching him at 19 instead of 25?  I’d take that at pick 14 with zero regrets.
in terms of how lanford plays, i do see similariites with turner. and that is not bad at all. but what i think langford will do better than turner maybe, perhaps is outside shooting. if so, langford will be a great pick up for the celtics.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva