Author Topic: Romeo Langford(merged threads)  (Read 92055 times)

Re: Romeo Langford(merged threads)
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2019, 09:47:56 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I’m not sure why people are so down on this kid. He hasn’t played a minute for the team and it feels like everyone has already buried him as a bad pick/bust. He’s got some unique tools as far as style of play and he pretty good size for someone his age. Not saying he will work out but he’s the type of high ceiling gamble you take at that range.

It's probably one of those things where when you pick someone at 14 the first things you don't want to hear are:

1. He has a broken jumpshot.
2. He needs surgery.
3. Other than that he's great.

4. he's a wing! when you already have to many of those to start with!

The value proposition is this: he was a blue-chip prospect out of high school. Consensus high lottery pick. Then he had a bad freshman year. It might be because he’s not actually all that (that seems to be case with Nassir Little); it might be because of situational factors that are temporary, like a treatable hand injury or mechanics he has the talent and discipline to correct with proper coaching.

Ainge and co looked at him and bet this is temporary. If they’re right, the pick will pay off very nicely. If they’re wrong, they made their bet and failed, and they can be judged. What I find a little harder to get is why ppl who didn’t interview him or work him out or watch film, and who know almost nothing about his injury, are convinced *right now* that he’s a bust. The factors ppl are citing aren’t all that compelling to me - I remember people arguing against the Js when they were picked because their college careers supposedly showed these guys can’t shoot 3s.

If his shot is fixable and he turns into a high-lottery caliber wing - and we get him at 14 - we will be more than fine.

« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2019, 11:37:47 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Most of the complaints I have seen seem to revolve around:
1) They drafted Langford over my binkie.
2) I like to make uniformed decisions based on gut instincts and hot takes.
3) They really should have drafted my binkie!

« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2019, 11:45:31 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
This gonna be THE biggest  " I told you so " 

Im dying to be proved wrong.

me and Sir Charles sure don't thunk so.

« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2019, 11:50:46 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

So people who dont like the langford pick are either misinformed or upset that their own choices were not good?

« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2019, 12:48:25 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
The 3ball is so important for wings in this league that I don't think that you can pass judgement on this kid until well after his hand is totally fine and he has had a chance to practice and play a significant amount totally healthy.

« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2019, 01:03:49 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown

So people who dont like the langford pick are either misinformed or upset that their own choices were not good?

When they choose to ignore the fact that he played most of the season with an injury to his shooting hand, yet was still expected to shoulder most of the offense, that he hasn’t played a game or even practiced against NBA players yet,  and that most of the proposed options for “bigs” were tweeners or based on combine measurements rather than on court performance that would result in complaints about “Why did Ainge draft another tweener” (like has happened with G-Will incidentally), then Yes.

« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2019, 01:12:31 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

When they choose to ignore the fact that he played most of the season with an injury to his shooting hand, yet was still expected to shoulder most of the offense, that he hasn’t played a game or even practiced against NBA players yet,  and that most of the proposed options for “bigs” were tweeners or based on combine measurements rather than on court performance that would result in complaints about “Why did Ainge draft another tweener” (like has happened with G-Will incidentally), then Yes.

He has many questionmarks outside of his shooting.

I firmly believe that anyone can learn to shoot if they put in work, but not everyone can learn to pass, play defense or see nothing but green lights on offense.

« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2019, 01:21:17 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

...or don't really watch college ball. Just to do a little comparison with one of our own, PP34 shot about as bad (30%) as Langford his freshman season. Just saying, since Lang reminds me of Pierce, especially how aggressive he can be taking it to the hoop. The shot will come. It's not like it's broken, just needs to correct and repeat mechanics.

« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2019, 01:31:03 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

He has many questionmarks outside of his shooting.

I firmly believe that anyone can learn to shoot if they put in work, but not everyone can learn to pass, play defense or see nothing but green lights on offense.

The defense and the tendency to shoot too much do worry me some - and the Cs certainly missed those issues when they drafted Rozier. Hoping for better...

« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2019, 01:42:22 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

...or don't really watch college ball. Just to do a little comparison with one of our own, PP34 shot about as bad (30%) as Langford his freshman season. Just saying, since Lang reminds me of Pierce, especially how aggressive he can be taking it to the hoop. The shot will come. It's not like it's broken, just needs to correct and repeat mechanics.

pierce had far more skill in college. Postups, size, passing ability, high BBall IQ, great defender. Most reports pre draft had Pierce with only 2 weaknesses...inconsitant outside shot and turnovers. Romeo has those plus more

And again, I have no concerns about shooting, anyone anywhere can be a good shooter by just working on it. Hard work will make you a good shooter. Its really as simple as that.

« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2019, 01:42:26 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
On the subject of this kid's limitations: When you're drafting a 19-year-old kid you're often looking at raw tools and character (that is, willingness to work hard to get better).

They've been following this kid for a long time, and Brad is especially familiar with him from his Indiana connection. I think they looked at him as a prospect that has one elite and rare skill (finishing at the rim) and figured the combination of physical tools and character were worth the shot.

In other words, I think this is similar to the thought process behind Jaylen Brown, another 19-year-old with a good character and work ethic combined with good physical tools, but (at the time) a lot of holes in his game.

« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2019, 01:47:40 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
very well stated and a tp for you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2019, 03:04:00 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
and Brad is especially familiar with him from his Indiana connection.

Can someone define what this is?  Just because he worked in Indiana six years ago does that mean his network is any more trustworthy than another NBA execs?

Sorry I just don't get the concrete correlation here unless Brad actually recruited the kid and did extensive research on his family, personal life, friends, etc.

« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2019, 03:28:55 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown

Can someone define what this is?  Just because he worked in Indiana six years ago does that mean his network is any more trustworthy than another NBA execs?

Sorry I just don't get the concrete correlation here unless Brad actually recruited the kid and did extensive research on his family, personal life, friends, etc.

I don’t have a link, but Brad mentioned following his high school career and Danny said the same. Brad obviously didn’t recruit him directly, but I would think he still has connections within the local high school to college pipeline.

« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2019, 03:44:02 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125

I don’t have a link, but Brad mentioned following his high school career and Danny said the same. Brad obviously didn’t recruit him directly, but I would think he still has connections within the local high school to college pipeline.

Same here. I can’t remember exactly where, but I know Stevens alluded to this in interviews after the draft.