Author Topic: Romeo Langford(merged threads)  (Read 92074 times)

Re: Romeo Langford(merged threads)
« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2019, 04:36:47 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
It’s important for people to remember that this kid was a mid-first round pick, even as it was technically in the lottery. It was #14, not #4. It’s still a roll of the dice. The team saw a kid with a lot of potential and what they perceived to be a good head on his shoulders and they decided it was worth the risk.

I still think the value of Romeo to the team is that, if they feel he can eventually be an above-average nba player, they can feel more comfortable packaging Brown in a trade for a star. Smart can fill in the gap at the 2 spot in the meantime, and hopefully you’ve got Romeo developing behind him.

« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2019, 04:48:53 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Though JG never reached his ceiling as a player he's been a really good player for a long time in the league. Not every great athlete in the NBA becomes and all star.

Even though I will readily admit that JG had the athletic ability to do more in the league, people don't mention that he could have died playing and had to have open heart surgery.  He's a pretty mentally tough guy to come through that and still play at the level he did. He was set for life and could have just cashed in and retired. Instead he came back and is till a significant role player on the teams he plays on.

« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2019, 05:00:32 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
So I live in Columbus, OH and I was in Indy for the weekend.  Talked to a lot of IU fans and they do not like Romeo.  They all expected him to be the savior of IU basketball because of how highly ranked he was coming out of High School.  They all know he spent half the year playing with the torn ligament in his hand but the biggest thing they complained about was he did not have that killer instinct and that he could not put the team on his back and carry it.  I have only seen highlights of him play and there are some good things but this reminds me of a Jeff Green situation.  So much talent but no aggression or killer instinct.  Don't shoot the messenger.  I don't know enough about Romeo to know if this is legit.  I just talked to numerous IU fans and they all said the same thing.  They watched him play all year.  Pre and Post Injury.  I had my Celtics gear on and a lot of them came out and said good luck with Romeo.

I swear. Every young promising wing player on the Celtics is compared to Jeff Green. It's like he left an indelible mark on the Celtic fan's psyche.
Every wing we draft is either a James Young or a Jeff Green to them. It's as if they have nightmares of those two players.
or Paul Pierce lol

I swear the number of Jeff Green and Paul Pierce comps I've already seen for Brown, Tatum and even Langford is wild
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2019, 05:05:42 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
So I live in Columbus, OH and I was in Indy for the weekend.  Talked to a lot of IU fans and they do not like Romeo.  They all expected him to be the savior of IU basketball because of how highly ranked he was coming out of High School.  They all know he spent half the year playing with the torn ligament in his hand but the biggest thing they complained about was he did not have that killer instinct and that he could not put the team on his back and carry it.  I have only seen highlights of him play and there are some good things but this reminds me of a Jeff Green situation.  So much talent but no aggression or killer instinct.  Don't shoot the messenger.  I don't know enough about Romeo to know if this is legit.  I just talked to numerous IU fans and they all said the same thing.  They watched him play all year.  Pre and Post Injury.  I had my Celtics gear on and a lot of them came out and said good luck with Romeo.
That's on IU fans, not Romeo.

No single player is going to be a savior for a college program. Almost every highly rated prospect is going to be a one and done if he's any good.

He didn't have the injury half the season, he had it most of the season. He played 6 games before he got hurt. He went 19/6 and 52% shooting before the injury.

There were players I liked better that we could have taken, and Romeo may be an incredible bust, but if an IU fan told you the above, they are either ignorant or just not remotely realistic.

« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2019, 05:26:34 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I swear. Every young promising wing player on the Celtics is compared to Jeff Green. It's like he left an indelible mark on the Celtic fan's psyche.
Every wing we draft is either a James Young or a Jeff Green to them. It's as if they have nightmares of those two players.
or Paul Pierce lol

I swear the number of Jeff Green and Paul Pierce comps I've already seen for Brown, Tatum and even Langford is wild

Well, one person who compared Tatum’s game to Pierce was... Paul Pierce.

When they’re picked at the top of the draft and have a lot of talent, it’s not crazy to say they “remind you of” the young Pierce, PJ Tucker, whoever. Whether they can deliver the whole package of the mature player is a separate question.

Mostly here we were talking about style. Jaylen and Jayson have different styles; Langford is different from either, and seems to rely more on pace and feel, and being strong enough to withstand contact - which reminds me of a young Pierce.

« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2019, 05:44:07 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Picking someone with Jeff Green's career is a good find at #14 in the draft.

« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2019, 05:58:48 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229

I’m not so sure about that. There’s a reason he’s passed around the NBA like a joint..he’s not very good at much other than dunking  and getting hot from the field once in a blue moon.

I also pray to god that Langford isn’t as apathetic as Sleep Jeff. No passion whatsoever.

Re: Romeo Langford(merged threads
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2019, 06:16:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
quote Shaqsphere .....

O Romeo

Romeo

;D. Wherefore art thou Romeo ?  ;D

reply ...

" My finger Hurts " :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 10:02:19 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2019, 07:11:24 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Though JG never reached his ceiling as a player he's been a really good player for a long time in the league. Not every great athlete in the NBA becomes and all star.

Even though I will readily admit that JG had the athletic ability to do more in the league, people don't mention that he could have died playing and had to have open heart surgery.  He's a pretty mentally tough guy to come through that and still play at the level he did. He was set for life and could have just cashed in and retired. Instead he came back and is till a significant role player on the teams he plays on.

I never liked calling Jeff Green a great athlete, or maybe I should say a great NBA athlete.  What I mean by that is sure Green had great straight line speed and jumping ability, but Green to me seemed to have a problem with lateral quickness and a quick first step which is kind of a prerequisite for great NBA players.  Plus he just didn’t great strength or crafty dribbling ability which is another drawback.  What little I’ve seen of Langford he seems much more crafty and a better first that enables him to get to the hoop more to draw more fouls. He may still be a bust, but I at least I like that part of his game.

« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2019, 07:43:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I’m not so sure about that. There’s a reason he’s passed around the NBA like a joint..he’s not very good at much other than dunking  and getting hot from the field once in a blue moon.

I also pray to god that Langford isn’t as apathetic as Sleep Jeff. No passion whatsoever.
I think rough averages of 13/4.5/1.5 over a 900+ game career would be a good result for a 14 pick
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2019, 08:15:59 PM »

Online tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

I think rough averages of 13/4.5/1.5 over a 900+ game career would be a good result for a 14 pick

I'm not talking Jeff Green skill level.  I'm talking about greens lack of killer instinct and how easy it was for green to defer in clutch situations.  Green had a ton of skills but lacked the mindset the great ones have.  Marcus Smart has a killer instinct.  Crunch time he makes plays.  Hes not afraid to take a big shot.  Green didnt play like that.  He had the ability to take over a game and when you think he was going to he slid back into the shadows.  This is what I talk about when comparing someone to jeff green.  Big ability but lack of intensity and killer instinct.

« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2019, 08:32:38 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

I'm not talking Jeff Green skill level.  I'm talking about greens lack of killer instinct and how easy it was for green to defer in clutch situations.  Green had a ton of skills but lacked the mindset the great ones have.  Marcus Smart has a killer instinct.  Crunch time he makes plays.  Hes not afraid to take a big shot.  Green didnt play like that.  He had the ability to take over a game and when you think he was going to he slid back into the shadows.  This is what I talk about when comparing someone to jeff green.  Big ability but lack of intensity and killer instinct.

yeah, but that's just your preference, it has nothing to do with whether or not that's a good career/production from the 14th pick, your original argument. he doesn't need to have a killer instinct to be a good pick at 14 if he's as productive as JG. I think most GMs would take JG at 14 and be happy about it, him being the 5th pick was the real issue, because teams wanted more out of him than he gave. I think most teams would also take Evan Turner level at 14 but he was taken 2nd IIRC.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2019, 10:48:11 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I never liked calling Jeff Green a great athlete, or maybe I should say a great NBA athlete.  What I mean by that is sure Green had great straight line speed and jumping ability, but Green to me seemed to have a problem with lateral quickness and a quick first step which is kind of a prerequisite for great NBA players.  Plus he just didn’t great strength or crafty dribbling ability which is another drawback.  What little I’ve seen of Langford he seems much more crafty and a better first that enables him to get to the hoop more to draw more fouls. He may still be a bust, but I at least I like that part of his game.

Yeah, Green is mobile, long and can shoot. The problem is his first step and handles. He could only dribble with his main hand. Langford has a good first step.

« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2019, 02:04:57 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Well Jeff Green was a disappointment in Boston.  But what was really disappointing was that he wasn't James Harden.  If Ainge had pushed the Thunder little bit harder and/or offered more assets, the Beard could be wearing a Celtics uniform right now instead of the mediocre Green.

Langford doesn't excite me.  Carsen might have the better career tbh.  But hey he's a mid round pick, if he's another JR Giddens, that wouldn't surprise.  If he could play at the level of an Avery Bradley, that would be a good pickup.

« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2019, 02:23:13 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
Wouldn't Brandon Clarke have been a much better choice than Langford ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce