Should the C’s target Dwight in FA?

Yes
29 (42%)
No
33 (47.8%)
Unsure
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Dwight Howard Signed by Wizards (updated Dwightmare thread)  (Read 24049 times)

Re: Dwightmare traded to Nets/Now FA. Should Cs target?
« Reply #180 on: June 23, 2018, 12:40:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
After drafting Williams and with the likelihood Baynes is coming back... I don't see the C's even considering Dwight anymore. Even if they did, how many minutes would he get on the floor? Not much.

So y’all think a 18 year old 27th pick rookie is what makes us not draft a vet who can snag 30 boards on any given night? He is the 27th pick ppl...Yabusele was higher than that and hardly get burn what the heck..... Dwight  would by far our best bet at Center  idk what y’all smoking but I want it.

If you had the choice of Baynes or Dwight Howard for same pay please explain to me how you pick Baynes??

Howard may be better than Baynes, but there is also a reason he's been getting tossed around in the league the last 4-5 years (last two years, been dumped by ATL and CHA for garbage). Seems like a locker room cancer and there are some reports that say Horford doesn't like playing with Howard (it *might* have also played a factor in FA when he came to Boston and didn't stay in ATL who had also just signed Howard).

Baynes also knows this system better and fits the scheme better (and he seems to have added a 3-point shot to his arsenal, too). Also Baynes can defend well.

I agree Williams may not make much of an impact this year, but we'll also be getting a healthy Theis back. Don't see Howard getting 30 minutes a night here, maybe 20-25.

Personally, I wouldn't mind bringing in Howard as a low risk, super-high reward using the vet. minimum. I mean, if it didn't work out and they saw it early, they could simply dump him.

Whatever happens, I'll trust Danny and CBS. I do think Boston is considered Top-4 in "odds" to land him in FA (along with Golden State, Portland, Cleveland). Maybe Wizards, Bucks and Raptors are in the mix too?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #181 on: June 23, 2018, 01:21:09 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Dude Bayne shot like 18% from 3.... I’m sure Howard could do the same lol. So what he’s been bounced, so what teammates may not like him, what he do on that court though? Did you know Howard is one of Browns mentors? Howard is just a goof ball who can be annoying to many people we all know that person in life’s who thinks they are a lot funnier than they actually are.

Either way..... let’s get Dwight/Crawford or Gay and make the Celtics great again lol. Anyone arguing any of that is tripping.

« Reply #182 on: June 23, 2018, 01:23:07 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

Dwight Howard
30.4 mpg   16.6 ppg  12.5 reb   1.3 ast    .555 fg pct.  .559 ft pct  1.6 blk    11.2 fga

Al Horford
31.6 mpg    10.5 ppg  7.4 reb   4.7 ast     .489 fg pct    .783 ft pct 1.1 blk    10.5 fga

Aaron Baynes

18.3 mpg    6.0 ppg    5.0 reb   1.1 ast      .471 fg pct   .756 ft pct  0.6 blk   5.5 fga

Dwight is the NBA's 3rd leading rebounder.  He is 11th in FG percentage.  He is 9th in blocks.
4th in double-doubles.

Clearly a major upgrade over Baynes. He is an upgrade over Horford in some respects.
When you examine a player's worth. You have to look at how you'd feel going against him in the post-season.

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2018, 01:55:18 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Get him!!!! If not Cavs will if bron stay there
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #184 on: June 23, 2018, 03:00:28 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15

Dwight Howard
30.4 mpg   16.6 ppg  12.5 reb   1.3 ast    .555 fg pct.  .559 ft pct  1.6 blk    11.2 fga

Al Horford
31.6 mpg    10.5 ppg  7.4 reb   4.7 ast     .489 fg pct    .783 ft pct 1.1 blk    10.5 fga

Aaron Baynes

18.3 mpg    6.0 ppg    5.0 reb   1.1 ast      .471 fg pct   .756 ft pct  0.6 blk   5.5 fga

Dwight is the NBA's 3rd leading rebounder.  He is 11th in FG percentage.  He is 9th in blocks.
4th in double-doubles.

Clearly a major upgrade over Baynes. He is an upgrade over Horford in some respects.
When you examine a player's worth. You have to look at how you'd feel going against him in the post-season.

lol this is my exact point! How in the world could anyone consider not going for Dwight at this point in time if he's really obtainable? Why so he could sing to golden state now everyone complains how super they really are right? Lol

If you can get him on a decent contract  ON THIS TEAM THERE WILL BE NO TEAM IN THE LEAGUE we will have issues with no matter who they add PERIOD. Sixers get Lebron? So what! Give Lebron to the golden state and I still think we have a shot. We legit will have 0 wholes in our team. Y'all have to be kidding me with this Baynes non sense lol.

« Reply #185 on: June 23, 2018, 03:02:30 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Dwight Howard

Al Horford

Aaron Baynes

4th in double-doubles.

lol this is my exact point! How in the world could anyone consider not going for Dwight at this point in time if he's really obtainable? Why so he could sing to golden state now everyone complains how super they really are right? Lol

It's not any worse than taking a chance on Marbury.  :D

« Reply #186 on: June 23, 2018, 03:21:08 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Sign Howard and let Williams develop at Maine
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #187 on: June 23, 2018, 04:27:47 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
there are a lot of intriguing Howard scenarios...in all likelihood he'll go to a contender..

to Cleveland is LeBron stays

back to the Lakers if LeBron leaves (from what I heard he's still well liked by management and they'll need a center since lopez will probably be out of their price ranger after they sign some stars)

to Golden State with the opportunity to start (god I hope not)

to Boston to back up Horford

Milwaukee and Washington are options as well

Don't think Houston is an option since I hear his relationship with Harden is rocky

personally I would love howard on the Celtics. He's a double double machine, good team mate from most accounts, and is in excellent shape for his age - very disciplined about taking care of his body.

« Reply #188 on: June 23, 2018, 04:33:22 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
After drafting Williams and with the likelihood Baynes is coming back... I don't see the C's even considering Dwight anymore. Even if they did, how many minutes would he get on the floor? Not much.

So y’all think a 18 year old 27th pick rookie is what makes us not draft a vet who can snag 30 boards on any given night? He is the 27th pick ppl...Yabusele was higher than that and hardly get burn what the heck..... Dwight  would by far our best bet at Center  idk what y’all smoking but I want it.

If you had the choice of Baynes or Dwight Howard for same pay please explain to me how you pick Baynes??

impossible for me to agree more

« Reply #189 on: June 23, 2018, 04:35:34 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
there are a lot of intriguing Howard scenarios...in all likelihood he'll go to a contender..

back to the Lakers if LeBron leaves (from what I heard he's still well liked by management and they'll need a center since lopez will probably be out of their price ranger after they sign some stars)

Don't think Houston is an option since I hear his relationship with Harden is rocky

personally I would love howard on the Celtics. He's a double double machine, good team mate from most accounts, and is in excellent shape for his age - very disciplined about taking care of his body.

Really? Most accounts I've come across have him as a terrible teammate.  Also, he's a classic underachiever and while I think he would've been a good fit a week ago, I'm not sure I want his underachieving, nonchalant, laid back attitude as a an example or mentor for our young shiny new big man prospect. 

« Reply #190 on: June 23, 2018, 04:39:42 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
stevens said when the Celtics drafted Williams that they like him because they like to play by spreading the floor with shooters and having the option of lobbing the ball to a big guy in the middle. who better to fill that role than Dwight? Even at age 32, there may not be a better guy in the league to have as an alley oop threat in the paint.

It's funny..when Dwight signed with Atlanta in summer 2016 I remember thinking that he and Al Horford were going to play real well together. Obviously that never came to pass, but i'd love it for them to be able to make it happen in Boston..

Irving/Rozier/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Morris/Horford/Howard...that's the best 9 man rotation in the league..

« Reply #191 on: June 23, 2018, 04:42:59 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell

Really? Most accounts I've come across have him as a terrible teammate.  Also, he's a classic underachiever and while I think he would've been a good fit a week ago, I'm not sure I want his underachieving, nonchalant, laid back attitude as a an example or mentor for our young shiny new big man prospect.

an 8 time all star who lead a team to the nba finals at 23. what an underachiever..a straight up bum!

« Reply #192 on: June 23, 2018, 04:45:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Lead a team to the NBA finals at the age of 23. what an underachiever. A straight up bum!
Now age 32 and hasn't come close to a Finals since he was 23. Underachiever.

« Reply #193 on: June 23, 2018, 04:58:10 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell

Lead a team to the NBA finals at the age of 23. what an underachiever. A straight up bum!

um he came close the next year when he made the conference finals, a year in which he was arguably the rightful MVP of the league. It's 8 years later and his scoring average from that season is only down 2 PPG, and his rebounds are only down 1 RBPG. Anyone who rather have Baynes should seek psychiatric help.

It's a slap in the face of brad stevens and the Celtics staff that so many people don't think that they could integrate a player of that caliber into their system and have him produce.

« Reply #194 on: June 23, 2018, 05:04:43 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

um he came close the next year when he made the conference finals, a year in which he was arguably the rightful MVP of the league. It's 8 years later and his scoring average from that season is only down 2 PPG, and his rebounds are only down 1 RBPG. Anyone who rather have Baynes should seek psychiatric help.

It's a slap in the face of brad stevens and the Celtics staff that so many people don't think that they could integrate a player of that caliber into their system and have him produce.

I guess I need psychiatric help because if I can only have one - I want Baynes. He plays great defense and doesn't need to be involved on offense unless we need him to be. He is NOT a cancer like several locations have deemed Dwight. Dwight wants to be like the main option on offense - that ain't happening here. If he could shut his mouth and play defense and take the Smart alley-oops for his offense fine but from the body language I have seen in the past is if you don't start feeding him in the post he just goes into pout mode. We don't need that but I certainly know that the man is skilled.