Author Topic: Lack of decency in athletics  (Read 2265 times)

Lack of decency in athletics
« on: September 27, 2023, 12:35:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This is really, really terrible:

An Ohio high school football coach resigned Monday after his team used racist and antisemitic language to call out plays during a game last week.

Brooklyn High School coach Tim McFarland and his players repeatedly used the word "Nazi" as a playcall in a game against Beachwood High School. Beachwood, a Cleveland suburb, is roughly 90% Jewish, according to the latest survey, published in 2011, by the Jewish Federation of Cleveland.

The Brooklyn team stopped using the term in the second half of the game after Beachwood threatened to pull its players from the field, according to a statement from Beachwood Schools Superintendent Robert Hardis. However, several Brooklyn players continued to direct racial slurs at Beachwood players during the game, the statement read.

McFarland handed in his notice of resignation Monday morning. Brooklyn Schools Superintendent Ted Caleris said in a statement that McFarland "expresses his deepest regret" and that he and the school apologize for "hurtful and harmful speech" that will "not be tolerated."

We'll see how seriously this is taken.  The offending coach should receive a lifetime ban in Ohio, the team's football season should be over immediately, and the offending players should lose athletic eligibility at least for the rest of the school year.  Oh, and assuming the refs didn't throw flags on every offending play, they should lose their jobs, too.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Lack of decency in athletics
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 12:43:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
There are some really, really awful people in coaching. Specifically, youth & high school sports.  I don't know what it is about coaching but it attracts some of the worst in personalities.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 01:04:55 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Just another example of the woke mob ruining the country... can't say anything these days for fear of offending someone.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 01:34:26 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I remember my basketball team in junior high, our coach let us name our own plays/sets. One was "Homer" and our PG suggested that instead of calling out the name, he could just go "D'oh" and slap his forehead as he was bringing the ball up the court.  Still makes me chuckle.

So I wonder who came up with the name, the coach or the players?  Even if the players, the coach should have the sense to shoot it down.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 01:50:47 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 06:11:08 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Just another example of the woke mob ruining the country... can't say anything these days for fear of offending someone.

Haha. I see what you did there. Well done.

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 06:31:17 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
One of the most decent athletes/person off all time, Brooks Robinson passed away yesterday...R.I.P. Brooks.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 07:03:13 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Imagine being an adult and thinking this is fine? Like wow. What a failure.

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2023, 09:42:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Even for a high school kid they must know how abjectly immoral it is.  It's plain evil.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 08:12:02 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Even for a high school kid they must know how abjectly immoral it is.  It's plain evil.
Oh absolutely. Not to not blame the kids either but going straight to the adult in the room here. Dude should never coach again or be around kids if he thought that was a smart/funny idea.

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023, 09:04:20 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Oh absolutely. Not to not blame the kids either but going straight to the adult in the room here. Dude should never coach again or be around kids if he thought that was a smart/funny idea.

Agreed on the coach.  I'm sure his "thought process" involved attempting to psychologically intimidate a bunch of Jewish student athletes as young as 14 via anti-Semitism.  It's the same as going against a predominantly black team and shouting out "ku klux klan" as a play call.  It's so beneath humanity that it shocks me.  And yes, he deserves a lifetime ban, and if he's got a teaching certificate, I'd love to see it revoked.