Author Topic: The possibility that some pro-Rondo fans are younger  (Read 6057 times)

Re: The possibility that some pro-Rondo fans are younger
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2014, 07:20:35 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The "rebuild" that went from like 1988 to 2006 didn't seem like something "necessary" that happens every few years. NBA Purgatory was Hell. Even when they drafted the occasional very good player (Pierce) it wasn't enough

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2014, 08:02:34 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Sorry to start another Rondo thread, but I thought this deserved its own space.

Bill Simmons mentioned something in his recent podcast (Monday - Cousin Sal/Bill's Dad) that may have provided context for some of the ardent Rondo fans on this board. Bill and his dad talked about how sad the trade was for the younger generation of fans for whom Rondo is their guy. To them, the many years of rebuilding preceding the second Big Three era may be more a distant childhood memory than it is to us who experienced it in our teens, twenties, or older.

I don't mean to paint all pro-Rondo fans with the same brush because there were definitely legitimate arguments to keeping him around despite the free agent risk. However, I can't help but wonder if some of the pro-Rondo sentiment was based partly in naivete. A younger fan may not have experienced a long rebuild and not understand how it is sometimes necessary. They may think that a HOF player like Garnett becomes available every couple years and that the Celtics would naturally have a great shot at him, when actually the opposite is true. All the assets in the world wouldn't have mattered if Ainge hadn't made a successful pitch to Garnett before the trade. It's totally unprecedented in the modern era for the Celtics to have convinced a star like that to come to Boston (remember that even though we had Pierce and Allen, the team sans Allen actually only won 24 games the season before. Rivers hadn't ever won anything and Ainge was an unproven GM who had presided over 4 mediocre seasons - Garnett was taking a humongous risk). It really speaks to Garnett's unique personality that he didn't just angle to go for the most obvious and safer destination like most players in that situation would.

These younger fans may also not have the cynicism of an older fan when it comes to players saying the right things to the press but obviously thinking something different inside. To an older fan, the writing was on the wall and it's the same old story of a star in his prime leaving a rebuilding team for a contender. What Rondo said publicly was inconsequential. I can see how a younger fan who grew up with Rondo might take his words at face value because this guy is their favorite player. I love Rondo too, but my heart's already been broken countless times. Once it became clear no stars were going to be available, Rondo simply didn't belong on this team. The fact that Rondo displayed little shock from the sudden trade just shows me that mentally he was already prepared for a divorce.

TP for you sir. I'm old enough to have watched Bill Russell and it seems that many people here just want to bury their head in the sand and spout things like "Rondo was a top 20 player" or "Rondo was a top 5 PG" or "everyone in the NBA wanted to play with Rondo" when none of the above are objectively true. I love RR and I'm hoping that Dallas wins the title this year because the kid is great to watch. But you're right, he didn't need to be here anymore.

The two biggest factors of this rebuild have been entirely out of Ainge’s control – Rondo’s ACL tear and Cleveland winning the lottery. Rondo's ACL ended the run of PP and KG, who couldn’t and probably wouldn’t wait for Rondo to come back to full strength. Cleveland winning the lottery ended the chance of him scoring the needed asset to play with Rondo BEFORE Rondo was up for Free Agency. All Ainge can do is react to that kind of bad luck and he’s done a remarkable job of keeping his options open and strengthening his hand until the time is right.

The KG + PP trade was fait accompli when Rondo got hurt. The Celtics may or may not (look at the Nets) made the playoffs with those guys, but if they did it would have been to squeak in and get blown out in the first round. Look at how bad the offense performed in the loss to the Knicks in the playoffs that year. The team no longer had the talent nor the ammo to reload. Doc decided he didn’t want to come back because he knew that without a healthy Rondo he couldn’t compete. KG and PP were traded 3 days after Doc was gone. Rondo’s injury forced Danny’s hand with PP and KG and he got an outstanding deal. Does anyone disagree he fleeced the Nets? KG is my favorite player in the NBA post-Bird and even I was [dang] glad to see him go for that price.

Rondo never really came back anyway. He's not a top talent right now. There are probably over 10 PGs better than Rondo the last year and that’s just one position. Rondo may not even be a top 50 talent in the league anymore and I’m a fan of the guy. Danny was hoping that Rondo would come back to his old self or even take the next step. He could then offer Rondo a max contract and build around him, starting during this trading period and continuing up to the deadline. Had Rondo been top-notch, I think we would have seen a couple of deals to bring in talent (like offering a 1st for Monroe) to show Rondo they were committed to rebuilding quickly. But his play last year and this year just didn't justify that kind of long-term, large commitment. He simply hasn't been good enough, post-injury, to build around. Which is the reason the best deal out there didn't seem all that great but Danny took it anyway. Better something rather than nothing.
Danny worked in the same building with RR every single day and yet people here claim to know better and insist that Rondo was willing to take less and wanted to stay? That’s just being willfully ignorant.

Ainge got hired by the Celtics with a dreadful roster and no future hope. He had fat Antoine Walker, PP and a bunch of nothings with bad contracts. The team had been an also-ran for the better part of two decades. In less than 5 years he built a title team that should have repeated in 2010 if not for injuries and refereeing. He was smart enough to realize that Rondo’s ACL was the end of that era and is only in year 2 of a rebuild. He’s brought in talent, generally drafted well and has enough picks, cap space and trade exceptions to accelerate a rebuild. He has loading up with enough assets to take advantage of almost any situation. He can rebuild via FA, trades or the draft and has enough shots at each to maximize his opportunities. He doesn’t just have one or two bites at the apple and that’s it (i.e., the Philly strategy). He’s not saddled with horrid contracts and no draft choices (i.e., the Knicks). He can remake this team in many, many different ways over the next 18 months. He’s not going to draft 11 different players (I think that’s correct) over the next two seasons. Deals are coming and if some fans are too impatient to wait for them that's on them.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2014, 08:32:22 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm a fan of Rondo because he was a Celtic.

He played well, he played tough and he was a big part of our success in that 7 year span. And despite his shooting deficiencies, he can manage to control the game on his own in other ways. That in itself is unique in today's NBA.

I'm 28.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2014, 08:34:18 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Thank you.   ??

Haha, didn't mean to come off as condescending.

Just putting my Psych 101 credits to use here.

think you need to go back and take Psych 102 and a few more classes.

I'm an older fan and I wanted to keep Rondo.  I personally prefer to keep the better players and proven winners and add to them when possible rather than put together a crap team and cross my fingers for lottery luck

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2014, 09:04:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I liked Rondo, am I am near 50 in age.  He got us through some playoff runs in the Big Three Era.   I thought preinjury he was a skilled albeit flawed PG who willed us to 2-3 victories in the playoffs.   So much for the theory.

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2014, 11:10:04 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Rajon Rondo made a Celtics fan out of me. Danny better know what he is doing.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 11:17:16 AM by LatterDayCelticsfan »
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2014, 11:17:35 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I'm 23 and Rondo was my guy but so were KG, PP, Ray, TA, and Perk. Rondo's just the guy who has stuck around the longest most recently (I also loathed Bradley when he was first on this team, boy was I wrong).

I'm not on these boards much but when I do I'd be surprised if anyone called me a Rondo-supporter. That's only because I generally tend to stay away from all the threads over the past couple years with different titles, different posters, and the same posts. That's just me though ;)

Still, in the three Mavs games I've watched this year, all with Rondo, I have seen a more engaged player in blue and white than I did in green in white he past year and a half. I'm honestly not mad about it though. Yes, I want his full effort every time he's on the floor but I was fooled for the past year and a half into thinking that he was "still coming off of injury" and "still shaking off the rust". Well, that rust certainly came off pretty well about a week ago.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2014, 02:23:32 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Thanks to everyone who posted a response, even if it was of the "this doesn't apply to me so it must be false" variety. Obviously there are all different types of "keep Rondo" supporters, I never claimed otherwise. It was just something I thought about after Simmons brought it up on his pod - how would I feel if Rondo was my favorite player growing up and all he said in the press were positive things about staying? Wouldn't I tend to believe it?

Whether or not you believed there was a chance in him staying was the key to whether or not he should be traded, because Ainge had to get something for him if he was leaving. The Celtics believed after a free agent tour Rondo would see reality and jump ship. Considering how bad the team is right now, I don't really see how there could be an alternate conclusion.

If somebody really wants to keep Rondo, they should also be exhorting Ainge to start dealing his young players and draft picks for guys who can win now. Though there are no superstars available, there are plenty of veterans out there on outsized deals their teams would be happy to get rid of for any asset.

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2014, 02:48:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Thanks to everyone who posted a response, even if it was of the "this doesn't apply to me so it must be false" variety. Obviously there are all different types of "keep Rondo" supporters, I never claimed otherwise. It was just something I thought about after Simmons brought it up on his pod - how would I feel if Rondo was my favorite player growing up and all he said in the press were positive things about staying? Wouldn't I tend to believe it?

Whether or not you believed there was a chance in him staying was the key to whether or not he should be traded, because Ainge had to get something for him if he was leaving. The Celtics believed after a free agent tour Rondo would see reality and jump ship. Considering how bad the team is right now, I don't really see how there could be an alternate conclusion.

If somebody really wants to keep Rondo, they should also be exhorting Ainge to start dealing his young players and draft picks for guys who can win now. Though there are no superstars available, there are plenty of veterans out there on outsized deals their teams would be happy to get rid of for any asset.

translation: I don't care how many people say my theory is wrong, I'm right

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2014, 04:06:05 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I will tell you one thing I have learned o my 55+ years of following the Celtics and basketball in general.  Teams that are successful in the playoffs not only have more than one very good/excellent veterans aboard, the usually have played "together" for more than a year.  This "chemistry" thin is real.  it leads to comparability, understanding each other's strengths and weaknesses and trust on the court.  Of course someone will come up with an example of a rookie who led his team to a championship (Bird?), but most of the "best" players could not (i.e. MJ, LBJ, KD, etc.).  experience wins championships.

Yes, I hated to see Rondo go..as I hated to see RA,PP, and KG go.  it did nothing to making the team better.  if Danny does not pull off another miracle trade which immediately brings us a championship, he will be living up to my low expectations and opinion of him.   

Bye the way...it was not the aging of the stars that ended the C's success at the end of the 80's, it was the untimely deaths of Reggie Lewis and Len Bias so that the Celtics had to start over, just as they now have to start over.  I hope Ainge can be more patient with young talent than Pitino was,or it may be twenty years between championships again.   Rant over.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2014, 04:16:04 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
I will tell you one thing I have learned o my 55+ years of following the Celtics and basketball in general.  Teams that are successful in the playoffs not only have more than one very good/excellent veterans aboard, the usually have played "together" for more than a year.  This "chemistry" thin is real.  it leads to compatability, understanding each other's strengths and weaknesses and trust on the court.  Of course someone will come up with an example of a rookie who led his team to a championship (Bird?), but most of the "best" players could not (i.e. MJ, LBJ, KD, etc.).  experience wins championships.

Yes, I hated to see Rondo go..as I hated to see RA,PP, and KG go.  and yes, Rondo is my favorite Celtics player since Bb Cousy, because it did nothing to making the team better.  if Danny does not pull off another miracle trade which immediately brings us a championship, he will be living up to my low expectations and opinion of him.   

Bye the way...it was not the aging of the stars that ended the C's success at the end of the 80's, it was the untimely deaths of Reggie Lewis and Len Bias so that the Celtics had to start over, just as they now have to start over.  I hope Ainge can be more patient with young talent than Pitino was,or it may be twenty years between championships again.   Rant over.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2014, 04:19:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

translation: I don't care how many people say my theory is wrong, I'm right

The thread title at least is so vaguely worded that it's effectively impossible for it to be wrong.

As a medium-aged fan, in my experience younger fans can get irrationally attached to favorite players, but that seems to mostly be actual kids and adolescents.  Younger adult fans, while having a wide variety of perspectives, seem disproportionately vulnerable to the 2k mindset of making radical, reactionary team changes every time things don't appear to be working out, and the fantasy basketball mindset that chemistry is basically meaningless and a team is exactly equal to the sum of its parts.  Though again, lots don't fit those mindsets, they just seem more common in that age range.

...not to say older fans are wiser overall, either; they just tend toward different types of biases.  But I don't buy that it's mainly younger fans on the pro-Rondo side of things.

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2014, 04:20:24 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Sorry for the double post.  I tried to delete one but
 iPad won't let me.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487
i remember i was really angry at the antoine walker trade when it happened - but in retrospect it was absolutely the right thing to do, we were NOT a contender and had little chance at becoming one, we had no assets and were picking late in the draft every year. that route leads to nowhere in this league. it might have been a different story if pitino hadn't given away billups and joe johnson for nothing. pitino's impatience really set the team back in a big way. patience is the key, the fireworks will come after we have a viable foundation in place. 

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2014, 05:48:29 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
ho ho ho and merry christmas to one and all. i am passing out tps like candy canes. it sure beats getting lumps of coal in your stockings!  ;D

merry christmas to everyone at cb and thank you for the present of your wit, insights, and celtic loyalty.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva