Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 341624 times)

Re: Anthony Davis trade thread(Davis trade request page 33)
« Reply #2040 on: February 07, 2019, 04:15:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If we sign someone to the MLE for two years, could we trade that player, Tatum, Yabu, Williams, and draft picks for Davis?  Those four players would count for about $18 million which is a few million short.  I'm not sure how much the draft picks would count for or the rules of a player just signed to the MLE.

I'm trying to figure out how we could keep Brown and Smart.

(I posted the same question in the buyout thread.  This might be the more appropriate thread.)
Any player you sign this off season must be kept and can't be traded until Dec 15th or so. So, there is no way a player signed this summer will be included in a Davis trade unless the teams figure out the difficult move of signing and trading someone for Davis. Not sure that will or can happen.

He means sign them this season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2041 on: February 07, 2019, 04:15:45 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
If we sign someone to the MLE for two years, could we trade that player, Tatum, Yabu, Williams, and draft picks for Davis?  Those four players would count for about $18 million which is a few million short.  I'm not sure how much the draft picks would count for or the rules of a player just signed to the MLE.

(I posted the same question in the buyout thread.  This might be the more appropriate thread.)
Any player you sign this off season must be kept and can't be traded until Dec 15th or so. So, there is no way a player signed this summer will be included in a Davis trade unless the teams figure out the difficult move of signing and trading someone for Davis. Not sure that will or can happen.

Can we sign one of the buy out candidates with the MLE this season, I think we still have it, and then use that player in the Davis trade?

« Reply #2042 on: February 07, 2019, 04:16:45 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I'm pretty sure he meant sign someone now.  Like sign someone to the full MLE for the rest of this year and add a non-guaranteed 2nd year to the contract with the guarantee date like August 1st.  That way the player could be traded and then the Pelicans could just waive him after the trade (if they didn't want to keep him).  It would probably eliminate signing someone like Kanter who would never agree to that 2nd year, but it wouldn't be that hard to find a player that might do that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2043 on: February 07, 2019, 04:24:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

He means sign them this season.
Oh....sorry.....misunderstood him.

« Reply #2044 on: February 07, 2019, 04:26:36 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I'm pretty sure he meant sign someone now.  Like sign someone to the full MLE for the rest of this year and add a non-guaranteed 2nd year to the contract with the guarantee date like August 1st.  That way the player could be traded and then the Pelicans could just waive him after the trade (if they didn't want to keep him).  It would probably eliminate signing someone like Kanter who would never agree to that 2nd year, but it wouldn't be that hard to find a player that might do that.

TP, that's what I meant.  I think I have my answer that this is possible.  Wouldn't that be the ideal scenario?  The Celtics get to keep Smart and Brown.  The Pelicans get a deal headlined by Tatum, a player with upside in Williams, and maybe four first round picks with one being the Memphis pick which should have decent value. 

« Reply #2045 on: February 07, 2019, 04:33:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

TP, that's what I meant.  I think I have my answer that this is possible.  Wouldn't that be the ideal scenario?  The Celtics get to keep Smart and Brown.  The Pelicans get a deal headlined by Tatum, a player with upside in Williams, and maybe four first round picks with one being the Memphis pick which should have decent value.
Its possible but it would also cost the team millions in luxury tax. I think Danny is all set with letting the league remove Bird's salary and, worse case scenario, pay tax on the $3+ million they might be over the tax line. Just my opinion.

« Reply #2046 on: February 07, 2019, 05:16:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Seems like the only team that has a decent shot of outbidding for Davis is the winner of the lottery (Zion Williamson).

The only teams realistically with a reasonable shot at the #1 pick, based on record, are the following bottom 5:

1. Knicks
2. Suns
3. Cavs
4. Bulls
5. Hawks

I think the Knicks would be the one team that would be willing to deal the pick for Davis, and, if packaged with their picks and Knox, the Pels might agree to deal.

The Suns have the assets (Ayton, Booker, future picks) but doubt they would be willing to move either of those two players for Davis. Plus that is not a team which would entice Davis to re-up.

The Cavs would have no other player assets to offer Pels (Sexton going to be good but doesn't move the needle), and Davis would not re-up.

Ditto with the Bulls and the Hawks.

So, unless the Knicks get the pick, I don't see the Zion pick being used in a Davis trade. And the Knick odds of getting that pick are only 14%.

I like our odds on getting Davis.

« Reply #2047 on: February 07, 2019, 05:38:19 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Hope is Alive!

« Reply #2048 on: February 07, 2019, 05:41:50 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Seems like the only team that has a decent shot of outbidding for Davis is the winner of the lottery (Zion Williamson).

The only teams realistically with a reasonable shot at the #1 pick, based on record, are the following bottom 5:

1. Knicks
2. Suns
3. Cavs
4. Bulls
5. Hawks

I think the Knicks would be the one team that would be willing to deal the pick for Davis, and, if packaged with their picks and Knox, the Pels might agree to deal.

The Suns have the assets (Ayton, Booker, future picks) but doubt they would be willing to move either of those two players for Davis. Plus that is not a team which would entice Davis to re-up.

The Cavs would have no other player assets to offer Pels (Sexton going to be good but doesn't move the needle), and Davis would not re-up.

So, unless the Knicks get the pick, I don't see the Zion pick being used in a Davis trade. And the Knick odds of getting that pick are only 14%.

I like our chances too, but NY is my worst case scenario. I think if they get the #1, they'll trade it for AD and then Kyrie opts to go play with his buddy for his hometown team.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2049 on: February 07, 2019, 06:02:33 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
One concern I have, now that we know that we can actually field an offer in a few months, is how will our guys, specifically the youngsters, will take this knowing that this could easily be their final season for the Celtics?

I worry that this might affect us during our run.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2050 on: February 07, 2019, 06:11:00 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
One concern I have, now that we know that we can actually field an offer in a few months, is how will our guys, specifically the youngsters, will take this knowing that this could easily be their final season for the Celtics?

Tatum made a comment recently that he would trade himself for AD.  I would hope they all take it as a compliment to be in talks for AD.  I really don’t think it will affect them that much at all.  Nothing is set in stone until this summer.

« Reply #2051 on: February 07, 2019, 06:41:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

1. Knicks
2. Suns
3. Cavs
4. Bulls
5. Hawks

I still think Ben Simmons would be an interesting trade, especially if the Sixers flame out in the playoffs and it appears Simmons just doesn't fit with the rest of the Sixers.  That trade would scare me as I think even then Simmons would still hold more value than Tatum. The advantage for Boston would be in draft capital as the Sixers just gave up their best draft assets, but that still is a scary proposition.

I also wouldn't rule out some mystery team wanting to give it a go.  What if Portland decides they want to go all in around Lillard and offer up McCollum and Nurkic?  Is a package centered around Siakam and Anunoby something that would be appealing?    What about Denver with Murray and Harris as the main pieces?  Some times teams get desperate. 

I think Boston is the front runner, but I wouldn't just write it in as guaranteed either
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2052 on: February 07, 2019, 06:44:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I think the team will concentrate on the job at hand this year and do everything they can to win a title. I think knowing that nothing is going to happen until summer after this season will allow all players to play this season out to the best of their ability and have closure with this team.

Having to start with a new team at the start of a season where you have months to take care of your personal stuff has to be easier in every way than doing it mid season.

« Reply #2053 on: February 07, 2019, 06:45:38 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Remember when people were freaking out about Ric Bucher's comments that a "source" told him that Kyrie would be interested in joining Lebron this summer?

Seems that Ric has a relationship with Rich Paul. Ric spilled the beans on a conversation he had with Rich:
"Ric Bucher on his podcast said Rich Paul told him they went public with the trade request because he was concerned Anthony Davis was not a confrontational guy."

https://twitter.com/FearTheBrown/status/1093613953945661441

It's quite clear who Ric Bucher's source was. The same source that Chris Haynes has.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2054 on: February 07, 2019, 06:51:00 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I think the team will concentrate on the job at hand this year and do everything they can to win a title. I think knowing that nothing is going to happen until summer after this season will allow all players to play this season out to the best of their ability and have closure with this team.

Having to start with a new team at the start of a season where you have months to take care of your personal stuff has to be easier in every way than doing it mid season.
I hope you are right.  I would worry about Tatum the most for obvious reasons.