Author Topic: Let's Blow Up the Raptors  (Read 12160 times)

Re: Let's Blow Up the Raptors
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2018, 10:13:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If they want to blow it up they need to trade DeRozen, he has the most value and at this point his flaws are really glaring.

The Cavs guard and help off him like he's Rondo for long stretches of the game, and its killing the Raptors offense. During the season he took and made enough 3s to punish that and was also more of a ball mover. All that hard work just vanished under playoff pressure.

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2018, 10:23:20 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
nevermind

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2018, 10:40:20 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
That sweep did nothing but hurt the value of DeRozan in the trade market.  His scoring efficiency and PER 36 averages all dropped below regular season averages for the 4th straight postseason.  To put things in perspective, Marcus Smart has a nearly identical career TS% in the playoffs. 

If you are a GM where would DeMar fit into your plans?  Bringing him in as #1 scoring option wont work if you want to win playoff games.  His inability to move without the ball also makes him a non-factor as a complementary piece.  On top of that he is a mediocre team defender.  Doesn't that description sound just like Carmelo Anthony?

What might get lost in all of this is the fact that Kyle Lowry had a great postseason.  There should be multiple playoff suitors on the trade market.  Minnesota seems like an ideal fit. 

Don't disagree about Lowry but you can't go 2-7 in an elimination game is youre a "star" or "superstar."

1. The shooting percentage is low enough. But 2. You need to take more than 7 shots especially when you co-pilot has been ejected.

Derozan is good but like you mention he can't be a teams number one option. Where does he fit in todays NBA if hes a shooting guard that can't shoot 3 pointers? He was 0-13 in his last 5 post season games. Sure he is a legit scorer, but who is going to make a trade for him when he can't stretch the floor as a 2-guard?
DeRozan would actually be an interesting playing next to James.  If James opted in (or re-signed) maybe something like Clarkson, Smith, BKN for DeRozan.  Cleveland would be pretty interesting going forward with Hill, Korver, DeRozan, James, Love with a bench of Hood, Thompson, Nance, Osman, and whichever vets they added.  In that role DeRozan is a 2nd or 3rd offensive option and the Cavs can get away with his lesser shooting with Hill, Korver, and Love being the other starters.
As a Celtic, I'd love to see that Cleveland lineup for years and years. To see that they used the BKN pick (Kyrie) for dumping bad salaries and a non-spacer next to LeBron - exquisite.

Yeah that's my problem with this trade for Cleveland. Gives the Cavs an enormous scoring punch with James, Derozan, and Love... But Derozan's inability to space the floor hurts James as they'd clog the lane.

A more logical trade to me:

Cavs trade Clarkson, Smith, Brook pick to Toronto

Derozan to Portland

CJ and Zach Collins to Cleveland.

Leaves Cavs with Hill/CJ/Korver/James/Love with Thompson, Nance, Osman, resigned Hood off the bench. Gives James a lethal floor spreading option who loves the jump shot in CJ.

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2018, 10:48:52 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Blow them up you say? LBJ says, "Problem solved"!

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2018, 10:54:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Also the fact that not only is DeRozen killing the spacing and offensive flow of the Raptors, but defensively he's targeted like he's Marco Bellini.

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2018, 10:59:46 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Blow them up you say? LBJ says, "Problem solved"!

Also the fact that not only is DeRozen killing the spacing and offensive flow of the Raptors, but defensively he's targeted like he's Marco Bellini.

He really needs to work on improving his jump shot, same goes for Simmons.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2018, 11:01:50 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
That sweep did nothing but hurt the value of DeRozan in the trade market.  His scoring efficiency and PER 36 averages all dropped below regular season averages for the 4th straight postseason.  To put things in perspective, Marcus Smart has a nearly identical career TS% in the playoffs. 

If you are a GM where would DeMar fit into your plans?  Bringing him in as #1 scoring option wont work if you want to win playoff games.  His inability to move without the ball also makes him a non-factor as a complementary piece.  On top of that he is a mediocre team defender.  Doesn't that description sound just like Carmelo Anthony?

What might get lost in all of this is the fact that Kyle Lowry had a great postseason.  There should be multiple playoff suitors on the trade market.  Minnesota seems like an ideal fit. 

Don't disagree about Lowry but you can't go 2-7 in an elimination game is youre a "star" or "superstar."

1. The shooting percentage is low enough. But 2. You need to take more than 7 shots especially when you co-pilot has been ejected.

Derozan is good but like you mention he can't be a teams number one option. Where does he fit in todays NBA if hes a shooting guard that can't shoot 3 pointers? He was 0-13 in his last 5 post season games. Sure he is a legit scorer, but who is going to make a trade for him when he can't stretch the floor as a 2-guard?
DeRozan would actually be an interesting playing next to James.  If James opted in (or re-signed) maybe something like Clarkson, Smith, BKN for DeRozan.  Cleveland would be pretty interesting going forward with Hill, Korver, DeRozan, James, Love with a bench of Hood, Thompson, Nance, Osman, and whichever vets they added.  In that role DeRozan is a 2nd or 3rd offensive option and the Cavs can get away with his lesser shooting with Hill, Korver, and Love being the other starters.
As a Celtic, I'd love to see that Cleveland lineup for years and years. To see that they used the BKN pick (Kyrie) for dumping bad salaries and a non-spacer next to LeBron - exquisite.

Yeah that's my problem with this trade for Cleveland. Gives the Cavs an enormous scoring punch with James, Derozan, and Love... But Derozan's inability to space the floor hurts James as they'd clog the lane.

A more logical trade to me:

Cavs trade Clarkson, Smith, Brook pick to Toronto

Derozan to Portland

CJ and Zach Collins to Cleveland.

Leaves Cavs with Hill/CJ/Korver/James/Love with Thompson, Nance, Osman, resigned Hood off the bench. Gives James a lethal floor spreading option who loves the jump shot in CJ.

They are not gonna resign Hood... He's already going to get suspended...

According to The Athletic's Jason Lloyd, Cleveland coach Tyronn Lue attempted to substitute Hood in for LeBron James with a 30-point lead with seven minutes, 38 seconds to play. However, the fourth-year player refused to enter the game, angering his teammates.

"This is the playoffs," an anonymous Cleveland player said. "We're trying to win a championship. This isn't about you."

Hood was the only guy not to play in Game 4.

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2018, 11:03:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
DeRozen is a good shooter though, he's just not a good 3 point shooter. Very similar to KG, and even Horford when he was younger.

Just has to commit to bombing away no matter what and becoming a good 3 point shooter. That's hard, especially when he's literally said for 4 years or more that "he doesn't need 3s". He finally tried this season but clearly he doesn't believe its his shot hence he stopped shooting them quickly when under duress.

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2018, 11:38:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Ntilikina + Hardaway + L. Thomas + #9 for Lowry + Powell + Malachi

Deng + Ingram + Kuzma for Derozan
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2018, 11:42:31 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'd love that Toronto team. DeRozan as a Laker would be weird.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2018, 11:50:26 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I'm imagining the Lakers trading for Derozan then signing Paul George.  I bet Derozan would be thrilled to play in LA given that he played for USC and idolizes Kobe.

After that they'd still have space for another big contract.  Maybe Deandre opts out and signs with the Lakers?

Lonzo - Derozan - George - Randle - Deandre

That would be an interesting team.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2018, 11:52:05 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

I'm imagining the Lakers trading for Derozan then signing Paul George.  I bet Derozan would be thrilled to play in LA given that he played for USC and idolizes Kobe.

After that they'd still have space for another big contract.  Maybe Deandre opts out and signs with the Lakers?

That is a lot to pay for someone who seriously wilted under pressure in the playoffs.

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2018, 11:53:55 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

That is a lot to pay for someone who seriously wilted under pressure in the playoffs.

Sure, but I think the Lakers are a team that is probably feeling a lot of pressure to be good and relevant again.

They could probably talk themselves into Derozan being good on a team where he's not the only high usage scoring option, too. 
- Mark Twain

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2018, 12:05:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I could see the Lakers using cap space and lesser pieces on DeRozen, I can't imagine them shipping out either of their blue chip prospects for him.

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2018, 02:09:35 AM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I could see the Lakers using cap space and lesser pieces on DeRozen, I can't imagine them shipping out either of their blue chip prospects for him.

Yea no way. Toronto would need the Lakers way more than vice versa in this scenario. Maybe a s/t with Randle, hart, and a pick I could see? But something tells me the Lakers view Ingram, whether rightly or wrongly, close to how we view Brown/Tatum.