Author Topic: Theis starting.....let's try it for a while longer  (Read 2029 times)

Re: Theis starting.....let's try it for a while longer
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 11:47:53 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Daniel Theis leads in the following NBA categories per Fongos on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OAqUnq6hqI

I believe he has gotten more minutes as a Celtic than any other basketball player from Salzgitter, Germany.

He is the first "masked player" to hit two 3 point shots in a row. (Against Cav's)

Theis has the highest 3 pt % of any German NBA player who is 6'8".

In his last 14 games, he's 9 for 19 from three which, my friends is boffo. It means he hits a three in almost every other game he plays in.

Obviously, he is my sleeper candidate for ROY. Granted, he will need to average 38 minutes per game and probably win the NBA title this year while hitting what? 47% from three to get a fair shake in the voting, but, I like his chances.

BTW, in all seriousness (even though it's February in Boston) I think Theis has a slightly better game than Baynes. The starters seem to move better with him on the floor and I am old so I remember another 6'9" power forward who played center for the Celtics and made up for size with smahts and grit and desiah.

You are officially in charge of editing and producing the Daniel Theis HOF induction video.

Nice work.

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 01:52:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I love Theis and think he is clearly our best big outside of Horford. He is rock solid on defense, active on both ends, and always keeps the ball moving on offense. The fact that he can hit an outside jumper and throw down alley-oops with ease is a bonus. I really don't know if there are any holes in this guy's game.

I am not saying he is the next Anthony Davis, but he is exactly what every team would want in a bench big as he is a great fit with almost any style front court player and is incredibly engaged.

I would love to lock him up long term - it's a bummer Ainge wasn't able to get a 3rd year on that contract - I just worry that he might actually be more expensive than we want given all the major contracts we have coming up. If he comes in at under $5M/season, we have to do so.

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Theis gives us a lot on the defensive end.  He's very athletic and active on the offensive end.  He can quickly climb the ladder and make himself available for lob jams.  And if he is left wide open, he can hit the 3 and the open jumper.  Really no downsides to Theis right now.

No he's never going to be a top scoring option, but the fact that he can thrive and contribute without the ball, well every team needs guys like that.

The injury to Baynes right now gives Theis more of a chance to showcase himself.  Brad is getting a sneak peek to seeing what kind of strengths he can pull out from Theis, what situations it would be best to have the big german in the game.

Because Brad is so great with his analytics and drawing out the best from players, I see this additional information gained as an advantage for us going forward.

Theis doesn't look out of place at all so far.  Hopefully he can continue to thrive.  The Celtics have won 2 games in a row now with Theis in the starting lineup.  Coincidence?

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 12:57:40 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I think it is largely coincidence. Theis has played well, no doubt, and I really like what he brings, but I think the win streak, now three, is due to much more than Theis playing well. Smart has played well since being back, Kyrie has been terrific, Jaylen has played well for the most part, and the defense has been better than it was before the break. CBS did not hesitate to go back to Baynes as soon as he was healthy. That starting five has an outstanding defensive rating, and I don't think CBS will want to mess with that. There are plenty of mpg for Theis off of the bench.