Author Topic: Rumor: Knicks like Hayward  (Read 5354 times)

Rumor: Knicks like Hayward
« on: November 14, 2020, 12:43:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kevin O’Connor of The Ringer came out with another bombshell: the Knicks are interested in Boston Celtics’ Gordon Hayward. “Gordon Hayward, who obviously — there’s already been rumors we’ve heard about maybe him wanting to move on. The Knicks are interested, I’ve heard…,” O’Connor said on The Ringer NBA Show The Mismatch.

I think O’Connor is one of the least credible pundits out there.  I literally think he makes stuff up for attention.  But, there you go.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Rumor: Knicks like Hayward
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 12:47:17 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Good for them. I like him too so that makes 2 of us. I bet CBS and Danny like him as well. We are at least 4 then. :P

Anybody else that likes Hayward and wouldn't want us to trade him for Turner/Aaron Gordon/pennies on the dollar?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 12:53:34 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 01:08:16 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Kevin O’Connor of The Ringer came out with another bombshell: the Knicks are interested in Boston Celtics’ Gordon Hayward. “Gordon Hayward, who obviously — there’s already been rumors we’ve heard about maybe him wanting to move on. The Knicks are interested, I’ve heard…,” O’Connor said on The Ringer NBA Show The Mismatch.

I think O’Connor is one of the least credible pundits out there.  I literally think he makes stuff up for attention.  But, there you go.

I don't agree with that. He seems like a standup guy to me that has developed real sources.

His opinions are a little click-baity, with the Killian Hayes projection in this draft, but his sources seem solid.

I'd imagine that if Hayward went to the Knicks, it would be part of another deal that brings Chris Paul or someone else to build a more competitive team right now.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 01:20:06 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Well its does seem like the kind of "make a splash for the sake of a splash" move the Knicks might do.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 01:24:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Well they've got nothing to give us so it's not interesting to me. If he opts out and goes to a crap team like the Knicks, all luck to him, I guess.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 01:24:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don't agree with that. He seems like a standup guy to me that has developed real sources.

His opinions are a little click-baity, with the Killian Hayes projection in this draft, but his sources seem solid.

I'd imagine that if Hayward went to the Knicks, it would be part of another deal that brings Chris Paul or someone else to build a more competitive team right now.

He throws out dozens of rumors, dating back to his CB days. Has even one been correct, except the extraordinarily obvious (such as the Celts are looking to trade picks)?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 01:52:04 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Good for them. I like him too so that makes 2 of us. I bet CBS and Danny like him as well. We are at least 4 then. :P

Anybody else that likes Hayward and wouldn't want us to trade him for Turner/Aaron Gordon/pennies on the dollar?

Assigning value to Hayward is difficult.  At a minimum, any statement about his value has to come with the "if healthy" stipulation.  The other factor is that he may well want out and has the leverage of simply opting out leaving the Celtics with nothing.  So what is the value of Hayward?  Something between nothing (if he opts out) and "if healthy" an all star.

As to a trade, it seems to me he likely does want out and likely won't be healthy.  A potential NYK trade is #14 and Hayward for Portis and #8.  Depending on whether Hayward is on his one year $34.1M contract or something else, we get a big trade exemption up to $18M or so.  This may seem like pennies on the dollar to some, it may seem like way better than seeing Hayward walk for nothing to others.  I lean much more towards the latter.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 01:57:08 PM »

Online michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Any knicks trade for me has m robinson going to the C's and the bad contracts going to a third party.  I'd take randle or one of the other PF/C, but their bad contracts no thanks, unless offset by poirer and or kanter moving on as part of the deal. 

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 02:27:36 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Unless the Ringer gave him some sources im with Roy on this KOC been tossing forum based ideas around since CB days just like the rest of us.

He's a nice enough guy but the fact we getting rumors from KOC now is just I guess funny to me.
ok fine

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 02:27:52 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Only players I like on Knicks team are Mitchell Robinson and Barrett and they won’t trade them
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 02:42:55 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Assigning value to Hayward is difficult.  At a minimum, any statement about his value has to come with the "if healthy" stipulation.  The other factor is that he may well want out and has the leverage of simply opting out leaving the Celtics with nothing.  So what is the value of Hayward?  Something between nothing (if he opts out) and "if healthy" an all star.

As to a trade, it seems to me he likely does want out and likely won't be healthy.  A potential NYK trade is #14 and Hayward for Portis and #8.  Depending on whether Hayward is on his one year $34.1M contract or something else, we get a big trade exemption up to $18M or so.  This may seem like pennies on the dollar to some, it may seem like way better than seeing Hayward walk for nothing to others.  I lean much more towards the latter.
So basically there are 3 scenarios:

1. He opts in.
I'd just keep him unless a godfather offer comes in. Obviously, we can't possibly know whether he'll stay healthy. I'm willing to take the risk. Imo, a healthy Hayward potentially moves the needle for the C's. A healthy Turner/Aaron Gordon doesn't. Wouldn't use Hayward to trade up in the draft either. I'm not overly excited about our potential targets at #8. This year's draft isn't heavy on star players. It's entirely possible that whomever we pick at #14 will end up being a better player than the 8th pick.

2. He opts out and he's willing to re-sign.
I believe this is the best case scenario, cause we can reset the clock on the repeater tax. I would simply offer him a new deal.

3. He opts out and he's unwilling to re-sign.
If so, we should obviously look for sign and trade opportunities.

A potential NYK trade is #14 and Hayward for Portis and #8. Depending on whether Hayward is on his one year $34.1M contract or something else, we get a big trade exemption up to $18M or so.
A trade with the Knicks only makes sense if Hayward picks up his player option of $34.1M. If he opts out, the Knicks can simply sign him via cap space.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 02:52:25 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 03:34:05 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

I fall in line with this thinking, the 8th pick has a very good chance of meaning either Okongwu, Okoro, or Hayes any of which would be excellent opportunities for this team.

The 8th pick could also have value in a trade for an established vet like Jrue Holiday.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 03:34:56 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
My guess is the Celtics are working with Hayward to get him somewhere else. At this point both parties should clearly know where they stand in terms of contracts. Given his age and injury history, the Celtics probably came in with a conservative offer that more desperate teams (Indiana, New York) were willing to top. Being dealt now and getting an extension would mean he can get paid more and have some level of control. If he opted in, the Celtics almost definitely would be forced to deal him at the deadline or risk losing the salary slot for nothing. If you don't think you're going to re-sign him at a big number, not much Hayward does this next season is going to change your mind anyway.

I think Hayward would rather be on a team where he is one of the top 2-3 options, as opposed to Boston where the team is now focused on Brown and Tatum. His name being thrown out there in trade rumors is probably an attempt to drum up more interest or put pressure on dithering teams to s--- or get off the pot. Anyway, that's my best guess.

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 04:02:18 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Hayward for frank and their pick.

I would do that
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 04:40:20 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

I like that O'Connor's big board isn't just an approximation of what the consensus is. If you look at the history of the draft there are often busts all over the lottery, even with the first overall pick. However, even though most people know this, they still rank conservatively because it's safer to go along with the crowd. If you just follow the consensus, you have a defense when you turn out to be wrong.

I think more draft pundits should go by who they actually think is going to be the best 10 years from now, not just shift the same players a few spaces up or down their "expected" slot. I guess it raises the question whether you're supposed to be ranking guys based on potential or whether you think they actually WILL reach that potential.