Author Topic: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers Thread  (Read 19301 times)

Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 06:19:55 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Ireland, with new coach Giovanni Trapattoni, play @ Montenegro tonight on the back of a 2-1 win @ Georgia on Saturday. Things will be looking good should they come away with maximum points from these two games.

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 03:04:30 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Today's matches:

www.livescore.com

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 04:14:37 PM »

Offline Tw1x990

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 47
anyone have any news on Ivory Coast? im not from there, im greek but i loved watching ivory coast last year ..

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 04:43:56 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
anyone have any news on Ivory Coast? im not from there, im greek but i loved watching ivory coast last year ..

I don't think they're playing today.

A quick question:
If you're Greek why do you have the
American flag below your name?   ;)

Portugal leads Denmark 1-0 at the break.
The goal CLEARLY shouldn't have been
allowed since the player who set it up
was very much offside. Sometimes I hate
the ref and the linesmen  >:(

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 04:50:44 PM »

Offline CelticPride

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 28

Anyone see the Turkey-Belgium Game? Was the penalty legit?
I'm always suspicious of the late home penalty for an equalizer....

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 05:59:26 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Big, big win for England tonight, actually huge! What a game for Theo Walcott.

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 06:38:14 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
How long before Theo Walcott is heralded as the best player in the world? It seems to be English tradition that, as soon as a player gets a bit of form, he is world class or the world's greatest. Barry, Terry, Rooney, Owen, Joe Cole, Ashley Cole, Beckham, Lampard, Crouch, . The list is endless.

Great win, but it means nothing. For proof of this, look at Germany 1-5 England in 2001 in the 2002 World Cup qualifying. That result meant nothing in the long run because Germany in fact got to the World Cup final.

If I was Capello I'd keep the players heads screwed on - they're not the best in the world, they have to earn that status. The fans will still think it but the players mustn't.

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 07:14:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think that's close to England's best team.

• I like it when they have Heskey in the squad for Rooney to play off of. It creates so much more balance throughout the entire pitch for England, and gives their attack more diversity and options.
  • Also the Lamps-Gerrard midfield was broken up. Barry looks the best candidate to play the supporting role to one of those two players. I'd like to see Lamps play with Barry but I don't really care whether they go with him or Gerrard .... as long as only one of them is on the pitch and the other is on the bench.
  • Joe Cole on one wing and will cut inside ... and a lightening quick sideline winger on the other side of the pitch (Walcott or Young). I love that balance and differing attacking styles.
  • I also love not seeing Beckham's slow backside ruining England's attempts to push the tempo every time he touches the ball. If Beckham remains in the squad he needs to play in central midfield ... but that's packed so let's just leave him out
  • The one change I'd like to see is Micah Richards playing at right back instead of Wes Brown. Or when the wing back's defensive duties or less important (against weak sides) .. Glen Johnson.
  • Aside from RB I love that backline with Terry, Rio, Ashley and David James is a good keeper.

Great stuff, hopefully they'll keep that lineup together.

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 07:59:57 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
El Salvador 2  surinam 0 in Paramaribo Surinam

Wooo Hooo

Final round here we goooooooooooo................... ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 02:45:50 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
Denmark got away from the Portugal match
with a 3-2 win! And just how is beyond me.
They played well but Portugal had the ball
the most of the time and had several chances
to go up by two. A quick recap follows, as the
last 6 minutes (plus stoppage time) were CRAZY:

84th minute:
Daniel Agger brings up the ball and finds
Nicklas Bendtner, who shoots a flat shot
out of Quim's reach. 1-1.

85th minute:
Nuno Gomes is taken down in a duel with
Leon Andreasen. Penalty for Portugal.
Deco scores quite easily. 2-1.

90th minute:
Denmark gets a corner. Christian Poulsen
heads and the ball goes in. 2-2.

90th + 2:
Daniel Jensen fires a shot from app. 20
meters. The ball hits two(!) defenders
on the way and goes in. 3-2! DENMARK WINS!

Yay  :)

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 03:28:50 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
England`s and Denmark`s away wins were important, Klose scored 3 after a long time but THE story of the day is the Luxemburgian upset against the Swiss.

Before the game Luxemburg in 105 games in 74 years of participating in qualifing rounds has 2 wins , 2 draws and 101 defeats and hasn`t won an official game since 1974 (i`m not 10% sure about this though)

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 05:31:33 AM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
How long before Theo Walcott is heralded as the best player in the world? It seems to be English tradition that, as soon as a player gets a bit of form, he is world class or the world's greatest. Barry, Terry, Rooney, Owen, Joe Cole, Ashley Cole, Beckham, Lampard, Crouch, . The list is endless.

Great win, but it means nothing. For proof of this, look at Germany 1-5 England in 2001 in the 2002 World Cup qualifying. That result meant nothing in the long run because Germany in fact got to the World Cup final.

If I was Capello I'd keep the players heads screwed on - they're not the best in the world, they have to earn that status. The fans will still think it but the players mustn't.

Excellent points, all very true.  I didn't want to give off the feeling that I was getting carried away with one victory from my earlier comment.  For myself though, it has been a while since I could say that I have really enjoyed an England game.  This game provided a nice break from the uninspired, overwhelmed, typical, predictable...(insert any number of descriptions) team that is usually out on display.  Let's not forget their performance against Andorra which was only a few days back.     

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 08:03:43 AM »

Offline Dirk

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 23
Yes! Chile 4 - 0 Colombia  ;D

We are back in the hunt.
the team to beat...
a force to reckon with...
just pick your poison.

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 04:10:12 PM »

Offline galen

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 15
I think that's close to England's best team.

• I like it when they have Heskey in the squad for Rooney to play off of. It creates so much more balance throughout the entire pitch for England, and gives their attack more diversity and options.
  • Also the Lamps-Gerrard midfield was broken up. Barry looks the best candidate to play the supporting role to one of those two players. I'd like to see Lamps play with Barry but I don't really care whether they go with him or Gerrard .... as long as only one of them is on the pitch and the other is on the bench.
  • Joe Cole on one wing and will cut inside ... and a lightening quick sideline winger on the other side of the pitch (Walcott or Young). I love that balance and differing attacking styles.
  • I also love not seeing Beckham's slow backside ruining England's attempts to push the tempo every time he touches the ball. If Beckham remains in the squad he needs to play in central midfield ... but that's packed so let's just leave him out
  • The one change I'd like to see is Micah Richards playing at right back instead of Wes Brown. Or when the wing back's defensive duties or less important (against weak sides) .. Glen Johnson.
  • Aside from RB I love that backline with Terry, Rio, Ashley and David James is a good keeper.

Great stuff, hopefully they'll keep that lineup together.

Who, are you serious about david james?  I wouldn't quite call him terrible, but good and david james are three words i'd never use in a sentance.  Joe Hart or Robert Green over him everyday of the week and twice on sunday.

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 06:00:01 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Congratulations Denmark and Chile
                 ACF    and  Dirk

Both Solid solid wins...............
Thing are getting better for all of us!! ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!