Author Topic: Undrafted Free Agents  (Read 4904 times)

Undrafted Free Agents
« on: June 28, 2013, 12:38:28 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Any players you hoped the Celtics would get in the second round that went undrafted?

I have two:

1) CJ Leslie -- He's a very athletic, strong, and skilled player who can play both the three and four.  His motor gets questioned at times, which is I guess why he fell out of the draft completely, but he could be better than a lot of players who went in the first round, including Olynyk.  The coaching at NC State was horrendous -- I frankly wonder how Mark Gottfried kept his job.  He's someone to take a shot on, because the cost is virtually nothing, while the reward is pretty high if he pans out.  He definitely could be a rotation player, and maybe even a starter, if he puts it all together.  Maybe going undrafted will be the kick in the pants that he needs.   Assuming Pierce is gone and Wallace is a sunk cost (which is debatable if he should be) we have an opening for a backup to Jeff Green, and Leslie would be a player in the same mold.  (As an aside, I also like Richard Howell from NC State, but I'm less surprised he wasn't drafted.)

2) Myck Kabongo -- A pass-first point guard from Texas, he got into some trouble with the NCAA over possible benefits given to him by an agent and missed most of the year.  Another guy with questionable effort at times, but also another player who also received very questionable coaching from Barnes down at Texas.  I frankly don't understand the allure of that program, because he gets talented guards and makes them stagnant for a year or two.  Ask our own Avery Bradley.  We clearly need a backup point guard, so why not give the kid 10-15 minutes a game.

Who would you like to sign, if anyone?

Re: Undrafted Free Agents
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 02:14:33 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Any players you hoped the Celtics would get in the second round that went undrafted?

I have two:

1) CJ Leslie -- He's a very athletic, strong, and skilled player who can play both the three and four.  His motor gets questioned at times, which is I guess why he fell out of the draft completely, but he could be better than a lot of players who went in the first round, including Olynyk.  The coaching at NC State was horrendous -- I frankly wonder how Mark Gottfried kept his job.  He's someone to take a shot on, because the cost is virtually nothing, while the reward is pretty high if he pans out.  He definitely could be a rotation player, and maybe even a starter, if he puts it all together.  Maybe going undrafted will be the kick in the pants that he needs.   Assuming Pierce is gone and Wallace is a sunk cost (which is debatable if he should be) we have an opening for a backup to Jeff Green, and Leslie would be a player in the same mold.  (As an aside, I also like Richard Howell from NC State, but I'm less surprised he wasn't drafted.)

2) Myck Kabongo -- A pass-first point guard from Texas, he got into some trouble with the NCAA over possible benefits given to him by an agent and missed most of the year.  Another guy with questionable effort at times, but also another player who also received very questionable coaching from Barnes down at Texas.  I frankly don't understand the allure of that program, because he gets talented guards and makes them stagnant for a year or two.  Ask our own Avery Bradley.  We clearly need a backup point guard, so why not give the kid 10-15 minutes a game.

Who would you like to sign, if anyone?

Please go for Kadji.. Then grab Myck as a back up..

If anything I'd just want us to grab Myck... Phil Pressey? What does DA see in him..? Come on..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 02:15:27 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
seth curry. as an fsu fan i can let you know mike snaer is garbage.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 02:17:30 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
seth curry. as an fsu fan i can let you know mike snaer is garbage.

Yes Seth Curry has been shooting the 3 at a high clip.. Ball handling is an issue that'll raise eyebrows as he has had some ball handling problems, and does turn it over. But he can shoot, and he can pass. If he can spread the floor, and look for the open man then that's all we really need...

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 02:20:51 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Kadji and Kabongo would be dream scenario. Do it Danny!

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 06:19:46 PM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
CJ Leslie signed with NY and  Myck Kabongo signed to play on the Miami Heat summer league team

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 06:22:32 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Vander Blue.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 07:16:35 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
CJ Leslie signed with NY and  Myck Kabongo signed to play on the Miami Heat summer league team

To be honest, I'm very upset at a lot of draft choices DA has made so far... Myck, Kadji, Curry, or even Leslie would've been some nice pick ups on the cheap.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 07:59:44 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Jared Berggren.

Tall, quick, bangs inside, rebounds well and has very good range. Reminds me of Josh McRoberts. He can be had  much cheaper than Josh.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:13:01 PM by greenhead85 »

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 10:46:41 PM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Celtics have signed Courtney Fells and Eli Holman to played on the summer league team.

Both players have spent the season in Israeli Winner League.

Courtney Fells with Hapoel Jerusalem scoring 13.3ppg with 3.7rpg and 2.3apg.

Eli Holman averaging a double double in points and rebounds with Hapoel Eilat (13.2+10).

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Vander Blue.

Bingo! Surprised no one drafted him.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 11:21:41 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Eli Halmon:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/36034/detroits-eli-holman-faces-assault-allegation

Troubled youth??

Seems to be a great rebounder though:-)))

Smitty77