Author Topic: What does Marcus Smart need to do in order to put RR on the block  (Read 6768 times)

Re: What does Marcus Smart need to do in order to put RR on the block
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 09:05:28 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I think Danny and management believes that RR, AB, MS, Sully, and KO are the core of this team.

RR is the engine that runs the team - I think this was said by Wade (if im not mistaken). Why do we need to trade RR when he is the centerpiece of this team.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 09:13:12 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Edit:Although Smart can play sg next to Rondo it is apparent that he would be more effective st the point.

I see you added this little caveat after I'd posted my response.

I think my point still stands: a Rondo-Smart backcourt must be proven a failure before Rondo is viewed as expendable. There's plenty of minutes to go around between Rondo, Smart, and Bradley, and the various permutations possible all have their own strengths.

Some folks want Rondo to fail. I don't.
haha that made me lol. I don't want Rondo to fail. But I would not mind trading him before he is given the chance to fail. The ? is what we could get for him....besides picks and expirings (for after Wallace's contract)maybe a young player that has decent potential; I really don't see to many trades NOW. But as the season comes more activity should happen.

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 09:23:38 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I'm not worried about Marcus Smart.  Rondo should be worried about MS.  If Rondo can't help the team win or keep it close game after game (playing a ton of min and pounding the ball) , he gets injured a little , needs some rest or unexpectedly misses a game and we start winning with smart, then Rondo will be on his way out.
tp. I like this one

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 03:53:31 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I think Danny and management believes that RR, AB, MS, Sully, and KO are the core of this team.

RR is the engine that runs the team - I think this was said by Wade (if im not mistaken). Why do we need to trade RR when he is the centerpiece of this team.

Because we'd be lucky to be an 8 seed with Rondo as our center piece and there aren't any more significant building blocks on the horizon.

I'm all on the Marcus Smart bus.

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 08:49:54 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Be less good than Phil Pressey, so that the Celtics are not very improved from last year and Rondo is traded before he leaves in free agency.

Yep.  On the other hand, if Smart plays well MS could be used as trade fodder to land a star sidekick for Rondo.

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 09:02:29 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I don't get it..

If Smart proves to be good enough to replace Rondo, why would we trade either players? Wouldn't that want to bring in some disgruntled Allstars who would love to join a duo of Smart/Rondo? Plenty of minutes can be given to both players, and Smart has shown that he can play extremely well off ball. He doesn't always need the ball in his hands, and in an USA interview where he was playing with future possible superstars in Payton, Okafor, Gordon, Randle, etc. He said that his main job is to give it his all, on both sides of the court.

I believe Smart will definitely surpass some expectations, but I see that as a plus. That would probably pique Rondo's interest, and Rondo is probably gonna do his best to try to reach out to some players, and hold up a sign, "hey, godly defensive trio in Bradley, Smart, and Rondo. Just looking for a scorer, and a big man. Please contact Danny Ainge at this following number to sign up."

This

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 09:22:45 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
This

Fail at playing alongside Rondo as a SG?

and this

In case this is unclear:  the better Smart plays, the more likely Rondo is to stay.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 10:47:49 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
He has to develop his PG skills. He has already shown nice passing ability, and I'd hope that he will do more assisting compared with shooting now that he is no longer the #1 scoring option. He needs to work on his handle and decision making; assist:turnover ratio will be a key stat for him next season.

He doesn't need to be a shooter to succeed at the 1, and if anything a leap in shooting ability would allow him to spend more time playing off the ball with RR.

The more Smart looks like a pure PG, the harder it is for him to coexist with Rondo.

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 10:59:51 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
This

Fail at playing alongside Rondo as a SG?

and this

In case this is unclear:  the better Smart plays, the more likely Rondo is to stay.

Yup.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 11:03:24 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The more Smart looks like a pure PG, the harder it is for him to coexist with Rondo.

Other teams have had success with playing two point guards at the same time.  Smart would look like a keeper who can't co-exist with Rondo if he looks like a guard with All-Star potential who can't hit a three and is unlikely to learn how to.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 01:03:02 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Smart was never ever designed to be a PG. He can guard both positions pretty well, his wingspan/bulk helps him make up for his height disadvantage on PG/SG.

His game reminds me of a less speedier Westbrook. He can get to the foul line, makes the occasional good passes, and can finish inside while having a decent mid range/ and inconsistent 3 pt shot. But he is a SG forced to play PG. And while there is nothing wrong with that as Smart is smart enough, (pun not intended,) to be able to switch to both regardless. I just think Smart is more effective at the 2, but once SL, I bet Brad Stevens will toy with both positions, and see which fits him best.

I would dare to say Smart has one of the best defenses I've seen in any of the rookies this year easily. Smart doesn't ever look lost on defense, and sometimes unfortunately has to try to team help more due to the lack of direction his teammates had at Oklahoma.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 01:25:04 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Simple - follow these easy steps

be able to lift about 220 lbs of RR
tell Rondo to meet him at the practice facility
lift him up and place him at the corner of Walk and Don't Walk
make a secret call to Wyc and Danny and let them know that RR is on the block

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Everything  Rondo does and shoot well
this and more since I've seen what Rondo can do in the playoffs and Smart won't have that opportunity this year at least.