Author Topic: If 76ers shop Simmons what would the market be for him?  (Read 7397 times)

Re: If 76ers shop Simmons what would the market be for him?
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2020, 04:37:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Both Horford and Westbrook are in decline. One relies a whole lot more on his athleticism than the other.

Westbrook has been playing far from all-star caliber basketball this year, he shouldn't even sniff the team. You can say neither has Simmons with a decent argument, but one is over 30 and the other isn't even near his prime yet.

I think the idea of of a Simmons trade requires either some star wing or star guard talent that can shoot the ball coming back to the 76ers. Because if you're going all in around Embiid that's what you need.

Anyways this is all premature, he can't be traded due to the poison pill provision until the offseason. By then we'll have a lot more information on what this 76ers team is.

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2020, 05:04:11 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
They can’t trade him till next year. He basically has a poison pill contract

Sorry I meant to say after the end of the season for example after an early exit in the playoffs.

The salaries are tough to balance with Simmons' extension (PPP), but I think he can only go to a team that believes he is a "fit".

PHI: Simmons, Horford, Zhaire Smith
HOU: Westbrook, PJ Tucker, McLemore

Now you have

Westbrook/Richardson/Tucker/Harris/Embiid
Harden/Gordon/Simmons/Horford/Capela

Video game trade for sure, but Philly punts on a lot of future money to Simmons and Horford to roll with a Westbrook + Embiid monster. Houston puts two high-talent, good passing, low shooting volume guys around Harden.

TP that is actually a really fair trade for both teams, im amazed how quickly you thought of that haha

Value might be fair but I can't see Simmons fitting with the Rockets very well for his lack of three point shooting and his high usage rating.

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 05:16:17 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Both Horford and Westbrook are in decline. One relies a whole lot more on his athleticism than the other.

Westbrook has been playing far from all-star caliber basketball this year, he shouldn't even sniff the team. You can say neither has Simmons with a decent argument, but one is over 30 and the other isn't even near his prime yet.

I think the idea of of a Simmons trade requires either some star wing or star guard talent that can shoot the ball coming back to the 76ers. Because if you're going all in around Embiid that's what you need.

Anyways this is all premature, he can't be traded due to the poison pill provision until the offseason. By then we'll have a lot more information on what this 76ers team is.

Westbrook is averaging 25-8-7 looks an All Star to me.

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2020, 05:21:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah, strong numbers on the 4th team in the West is a pretty good case for All-Star selection.

He’s made the team with worse numbers before.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2020, 10:39:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Should have pulled the trigger with New Orleans when they had Davis.

I do think some trade where Simmons and Beal are the main components makes a lot of sense.  Not sure how it would all shake out, but there is a deal there that makes a lot of sense for both those teams.

I think Simmons would be fantastic in Sacramento in the Holmes role.  Maybe Simmons for Bagley, Giles, Joseph, and the Sacramento 1st (depending on where it ends up).  Perhaps instead of Bagley it is Hield or Fox (better trade for Sixers, worse for Kings).  The pick needs to be good enough for it to make sense, so clearly top 5 if not higher.  I am pretty high on Bagley though, so maybe the value is off.  He just needs to stay healthy, but the talent is there and he should be able to play well with Embiid.  They can add the top 5 pick for additional talent and some quality depth to the bench in Joseph and Giles (and depth is a real problem for the Sixers).  They would need to add a veteran PG with the MLE, but I think that would be an interesting trade.

thinking outside the box a bit, I think if Love makes it through the trade deadline Cleveland would be an interesting trade partner for Simmons.  I think something like Love, Cavs 1st, and Sexton/Garland for Simmons would be an interesting trade for both teams.  Obviously depends on where that Cavs 1st ends up (if it is 1, they maybe can keep Sexton/Garland and if it is really high maybe both go to Philly).  I think Love would be a pretty good fit with Embiid (even with him in decline) and they add 2 young talented players as well and then just need to pick up a veteran PG with the MLE.  That is the type of trade that would be a risk for both teams, but could have huge dividends for both  (Cavs get a "star" as the new face of the franchise and one locked up long term).  Again, just thinking outside the box a bit.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2020, 10:47:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Seen a few Sixers fans on social media pining for them to move Embiid over Simmons.

That’s crazy right? Or is it the Ewing Theory 2.0?

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2020, 10:58:30 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Seen a few Sixers fans on social media pining for them to move Embiid over Simmons.

I think they are coming from the point that embiid may not be in the nba past age 29... 🤷🏻‍♂️

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2020, 11:01:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I think they are coming from the point that embiid may not be in the nba past age 29... 🤷🏻‍♂️
There’s definitely an element to that, but a lot of them think they’re better without him (that I’ve seen).

Dunno what they could get for him though that would be fair for both sides.

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2020, 11:02:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Makes sense given Embiid's injury history and likelihood of future injury.

Otherwise no, it's nuts.

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2020, 11:44:51 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Has to be about the injuries.

Even when he hasn't suffered a catastrophic injury he's always dinged up and misses some serious time.

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2020, 11:49:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I mean yay for compiling? He's near Rondo levels of scoring efficiency and is absolutely chucking all while playing overall poor defense. Largely empty stats, Houston's winning is entirely driven by Harden.

Depending on what advanced numbers you like to look at he's rating out at a starting level player who gets to have a 33% usage rate or an actively harmful one.

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2020, 11:52:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yeah, strong numbers on the 4th team in the West is a pretty good case for All-Star selection.

He’s made the team with worse numbers before.
Everything but his raw boxscore numbers are way down.

You're probably right, they'll put him on the team when there are 4 to 5 other guards more deserving. Just like last year.

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2020, 12:12:54 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

I mean yay for compiling? He's near Rondo levels of scoring efficiency and is absolutely chucking all while playing overall poor defense. Largely empty stats, Houston's winning is entirely driven by Harden.

Depending on what advanced numbers you like to look at he's rating out at a starting level player who gets to have a 33% usage rate or an actively harmful one.

There are plenty of games where Westbrook not only helped but lead Houston to victory. While Harden is the best player on the Rockets it’s not like Westbrook is no slouch and adjusted surprisingly well as the second option. I mean sure he can streaky at times but Westbrook is just as good for Houston’s success as Harden.

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2020, 12:21:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

There are plenty of games where Westbrook not only helped but lead Houston to victory. While Harden is the best player on the Rockets it’s not like Westbrook is no slouch and adjusted surprisingly well as the second option. I mean sure he can streaky at times but Westbrook is just as good for Houston’s success as Harden.
He definitely has helped them win some games. He's also shot them out of games. There are a whole lot of stinkers where he just keeps shooting.

His main contribution to the Rockets is rebounding and creating transition possessions. He's not even that efficient in transition this year, but given that any transition possession is generally a good one it works out on the aggregate.

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2020, 12:25:58 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

7 footers with significant injury histories usually don't last that long. I can see feeling that way long-term, but right now Embiid is a vastly better player.

The 6ers aren't the team they were last year because their best player is in Miami.