Author Topic: If 76ers shop Simmons what would the market be for him?  (Read 7328 times)

If 76ers shop Simmons what would the market be for him?
« on: January 13, 2020, 12:01:55 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Judging him on general talent you would think he would be very valuable but given his massive shooting weakness, wages and that he is a point guard, it is actually quite sparse.

Who do you think would want him if Simmons is available?

Re: If 76ers shop Simmons what would the market be for him?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 12:21:09 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
They can’t trade him till next year. He basically has a poison pill contract

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 12:22:54 AM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
The salaries are tough to balance with Simmons' extension (PPP), but I think he can only go to a team that believes he is a "fit".

PHI: Simmons, Horford, Zhaire Smith
HOU: Westbrook, PJ Tucker, McLemore

Now you have

Westbrook/Richardson/Tucker/Harris/Embiid
Harden/Gordon/Simmons/Horford/Capela

Video game trade for sure, but Philly punts on a lot of future money to Simmons and Horford to roll with a Westbrook + Embiid monster. Houston puts two high-talent, good passing, low shooting volume guys around Harden.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 12:26:28 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Judging him on general talent you would think he would be very valuable but given his massive shooting weakness, wages and that he is a point guard, it is actually quite sparse.

Who do you think would want him if Simmons is available?
29 teams will inquire if he’s available... with teams like Minnesota, Memphis, Chicago the most interested

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 12:27:44 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
They can’t trade him till next year. He basically has a poison pill contract

Sorry I meant to say after the end of the season for example after an early exit in the playoffs.

The salaries are tough to balance with Simmons' extension (PPP), but I think he can only go to a team that believes he is a "fit".

PHI: Simmons, Horford, Zhaire Smith
HOU: Westbrook, PJ Tucker, McLemore

Now you have

Westbrook/Richardson/Tucker/Harris/Embiid
Harden/Gordon/Simmons/Horford/Capela

Video game trade for sure, but Philly punts on a lot of future money to Simmons and Horford to roll with a Westbrook + Embiid monster. Houston puts two high-talent, good passing, low shooting volume guys around Harden.

TP that is actually a really fair trade for both teams, im amazed how quickly you thought of that haha

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 12:31:21 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
All I'll say is that the market will never be bigger than it is now.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 12:36:59 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
All I'll say is that the market will never be bigger than it is now.

He can't be traded this season nor will 76ers even contemplate it, but next season his massive contract will kick in, 76ers will want a massive return and how you need to have a certain team around him, for me the market is surprisingly small.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 12:56:17 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
People on this board needs to stop. I'm not talking about the thread right now, but in general, because on Reddit, Celticsstrong, and realGM, a lot of people downplay Simmon's value.

15/8/9/ with 2.2 SPG are pretty fantastic numbers. I know Simmons was the first pick, but people forget the 76ers are trying to fit two ball dominant in the paint scorers. The spacing is slightly off, and while Brett Brown is still a great coach, his rotations and inability to make adjustments at time, plus inability to use any PnR offense with Simmons probably paints a uglier picture.

Ultimately, I think the 76ers are going to have to choose between Simmons and Embiid as the go to guy. And they'll need either another 2nd star, probably someone like Bradley Beal, that can be the 1B.

Regardless, Simmons will no doubt have endless bounds of suitors. He's an amazing player who has a huge career in the NBA, but in order to become in the same ilk as other greats, he needs to either work on having a more refined post game, or learn to shoot the ball...

I think ironically the 76ers could use someone like Kemba Walker instead of Simmons.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 01:38:05 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
People on this board needs to stop. I'm not talking about the thread right now, but in general, because on Reddit, Celticsstrong, and realGM, a lot of people downplay Simmon's value.

15/8/9/ with 2.2 SPG are pretty fantastic numbers. I know Simmons was the first pick, but people forget the 76ers are trying to fit two ball dominant in the paint scorers. The spacing is slightly off, and while Brett Brown is still a great coach, his rotations and inability to make adjustments at time, plus inability to use any PnR offense with Simmons probably paints a uglier picture.

Ultimately, I think the 76ers are going to have to choose between Simmons and Embiid as the go to guy. And they'll need either another 2nd star, probably someone like Bradley Beal, that can be the 1B.

Regardless, Simmons will no doubt have endless bounds of suitors. He's an amazing player who has a huge career in the NBA, but in order to become in the same ilk as other greats, he needs to either work on having a more refined post game, or learn to shoot the ball...

I think ironically the 76ers could use someone like Kemba Walker instead of Simmons.

Break it down and there aren't many situations suited or available:

Atlanta: Don't have the assets
Boston: Possible
Brooklyn: Already have max players set
Charlotte: Don't have the assets
Chicago: Don't have the assets
Cleveland: Don't have the assets
Detroit: Don't have the assets
Indiana: Don't have the right assets
Miami: Don't have the assets
Milwaukee: Not needed
New York: Don't have the assets
Orlando: Don't have the right assets
Toronto: Have to give up Siakam
Washington: Beal for Simmons works but him and Wall won't work.
Dallas: Not needed
Denver: Won't work/not needed
GS: Maybe but Green would have to go
Houston: Yes byennie posted a great trade
LA C: Don't have the assets
LA L: Don't have the assets
Memphis: Don't have the assets
Minnesota: Don't have the assets/won't work
New Orleans: Possible
Oklahoma: Possible
Phoenix: Same problem as with Embiid
Portland: Don't have the assets without gutting the team
Sacramento: Possible
San Antonio: Don't have the assets
Utah: Don't have the assets without gutting the team

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 05:09:46 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If Simmons were playing for the Bucks instead of Giannis, he would have been an MVP candidate. Likewise, if Giannis were playing for the Sixers instead of Simmons, people would have been all over him for not being a good floor spacer next to Embiid.

Imo, Simmons is an amazing talent. Thing is, he needs to be surrounded by 4 shooters in order for him to maximize his effectiveness on offense. Not necessarily good players, just good shooters. Remember when the Sixers signed Belinelli and Ilyasova via the buyout market? That's when they played their best basketball!

Embiid is at his best when playing close to the basket. I just can't see how this could work.

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 05:11:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If Simmons were playing for the Bucks instead of Giannis, he would have been an MVP candidate. Likewise, if Giannis were playing for the Sixers instead of Simmons, people would have been all over him for not being a good floor spacer next to Embiid.

Imo, Simmons is an amazing talent. Thing is, he needs to be surrounded by 4 shooters in order to maximize his effectiveness. Not necessarily good players, just good shooters. Remember when the Sixers signed Belinelli and Ilyasova via the buyout market? That's when they played their best basketball!

Embiid is at his best when playing close to the basket. I just can't see how this could work.
I find this comparison a little bit lazy. The difference in shooting ability between Giannis & Simmons is astronomical.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 05:29:44 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Imo, Simmons is an amazing talent. Thing is, he needs to be surrounded by 4 shooters in order to maximize his effectiveness. Not necessarily good players, just good shooters. Remember when the Sixers signed Belinelli and Ilyasova via the buyout market? That's when they played their best basketball!

I find this comparison a little bit lazy. The difference in shooting ability between Giannis & Simmons is astronomical.
Thing is, people put pressure on Simmons to shoot the 3 only because he's playing next to Embiid. There would be no pressure if he were playing next to BroLo, Middleton, Matthews, Korver, George Hill, Ilyasova etc. His team would have been successful, irrespective of Simmons' inability to shoot the 3. I mean, Giannis was hitting just 25.6% of his 3s last season. Nobody was defending him on the perimeter (just like they do with Simmons) yet he won the MVP.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:35:18 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 06:19:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The three is only part of the problem with him, the lack of drive and heart is the much bigger issue.  He and Fultz were stat machines in college that could not win, could some of these issues be shining through now that were visible then?

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 06:57:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Break it down and there aren't many situations suited or available:

Atlanta: Don't have the assets
Boston: Possible
Brooklyn: Already have max players set
Charlotte: Don't have the assets
Chicago: Don't have the assets
Cleveland: Don't have the assets
Detroit: Don't have the assets
Indiana: Don't have the right assets
Miami: Don't have the assets
Milwaukee: Not needed
New York: Don't have the assets
Orlando: Don't have the right assets
Toronto: Have to give up Siakam
Washington: Beal for Simmons works but him and Wall won't work.
Dallas: Not needed
Denver: Won't work/not needed
GS: Maybe but Green would have to go
Houston: Yes byennie posted a great trade
LA C: Don't have the assets
LA L: Don't have the assets
Memphis: Don't have the assets
Minnesota: Don't have the assets/won't work
New Orleans: Possible
Oklahoma: Possible
Phoenix: Same problem as with Embiid
Portland: Don't have the assets without gutting the team
Sacramento: Possible
San Antonio: Don't have the assets
Utah: Don't have the assets without gutting the team
a lot of those teams that you say don't have assets have draft pick capital, especially this summer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 08:01:21 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think if Simmons played for Brad Stevens, he would be a perennial all star and all NBA player.