Author Topic: Pretty Easy to See: Avery Bradley is the Odd man out  (Read 8046 times)

Re: Pretty Easy to See: Avery Bradley is the Odd man out
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2015, 08:52:30 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Yes, I would tend to agree...IF...Rozier pans out to the Celtics' expectation.

But we shan't count our chickens before they're hatched, shan't we??

As above.

I think Rozier is absolutely an rich man's Avery Bradley (at least in terms of upside) and while I didn't necessarily see the draft choice as an intention move to push Bradley out (I think the C's really do like Bradley) if Rozier proves he can produce on an AB level (while being on a much nicer rookie deal) then it won't leave them with much choice but to push Bradley out.

I actually really like what they have done.  They have about 8 guards right now (Smart, Thomas, Bradley, Rozier, Hunter, Pressey, Thornton, Young) and about 4 or 5 roster spots to fill, so they are basically telling these guys "if you want a spot on the roster, you're going to have to prove that you deserve it more than the other guy".

It's basically a "strong will survive, and the others will be gone" situation.  Nobody gets a roster spot in BS / DA system without earning it.

Even at the SF spot you basically have Hunter, Turner, Crowder, Jerebko all fighting for a role.

Same at the 'big' spot (apparently there's no PF / C distinction these days) where you have Sully, Olynyk, Mickey, Johnson and Zeller all fighing for playing time.

I like this approach.  I feel like it absolutely assures that the guys you end up with on your roster are going to be the guy who are the best talent and/or toughest competitor available.

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2015, 09:04:25 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Very possible in the future if someone can over throw him, but right now I highly doubt it unless it brings back a better guard. I'm not counting on Rozier for anything until he proves it!

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2015, 10:54:54 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Very possible in the future if someone can over throw him, but right now I highly doubt it unless it brings back a better guard. I'm not counting on Rozier for anything until he proves it!

Agreed, I see it more as a long term possibility - as of right now I'd say Bradley is probably still starting.

Though to be fair, it does open up options.  I'm pretty confident that Rozier could handle a backup PG spot without much trouble (and if not, Turner can) so if they had a chance to move Bradley and get a good piece in return then we can also start Smart/Thomas and fill in the blanks.

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2015, 11:25:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Shouldn't we first wait to see if Rozier is an NBA player?
Yeah. And we probably need a reliable 2 guard.

We have IT, AB and Smart at guard. Apart from that, we have a bunch of guys that may or may not have NBA careers if ET will be playing the 3.