Author Topic: Kyrie wasn't at the bench during game. (update: he had a nasal surgery)  (Read 10893 times)

Re: Kyrie wasn't at the bench during game. How do you feel about it?
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2018, 10:45:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I'm amazed how much we seem to doubt Kyrie's commitment to the team and are always looking for evidence to reassure us. Brad has said that Kyrie's played a big role in mentoring in the background during his injury. What more do we want from the guy?
Some fans are never happy

Not true Kyrie apologists.

When has Stevens ever criticized a player ?
He should have been there period. Surgery can wait.
A Celtic does not let his teammates down like that.

This

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Keith Smith
 Talking to folks today, Boston had no problem with Kyrie Irving missing Game 7 due to his surgery for a deviated septum. Word is it was with a specific surgeon, who is hard to get in with. In addition, the plan was to get it done now and be back with the team had they advanced.

I think Boston/Ainge will never have an issue with Kyrie.  We traded for him knowing that he a) exerted no effort on defense throughout his career; b) demanded a trade from a perennial contender out of clinically significant narcissism/personality pathology; c) threatened to have surgery on his knee if his trade demand was not met; d) went several days without speaking to his teammates during the '17 Finals; e) has the character to trash his former city and coach in post-trade statements; f) needlessly placed himself at risk of missing the playoffs with his new team in year #1 (best impression) when it was apparent they couldn't beat GS, and then magically had an infection; g) missed the biggest opportunity of the season to support his young and overachieving teammates because his nighttime snoring was insufferable.

is this post a joke or serious?? You honestly think that the infection in his knee and the knee surgery was not real?

I think you know that I'm serious, but to substantiate my position, he loses the benefit of the doubt on (f) due to points (a) through (d).  They're simply facts.  On top of that, I recently went through all the same issues -- a bad break, hardware issues, a very serious infection that ate away at my wrist bone, etc -- and am leveraging my knowledge of those issues to better understand his situation.  It's amazing to me that people can see the situation otherwise, but I've come to the conclusion that fans simply don't care about a player's character if he contributes to wins.  I do, so be it.  I'll respect your opinion and hope for the same.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
It's amazing to me that people can see the situation otherwise, but I've come to the conclusion that fans simply don't care about a player's character if he contributes to wins. 

I am amazed and thankful more people don't think like you tar.  That's one thing I know from being on this forum for years now.  That would be my a through f takeaways from my time here.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Keith Smith
 Talking to folks today, Boston had no problem with Kyrie Irving missing Game 7 due to his surgery for a deviated septum. Word is it was with a specific surgeon, who is hard to get in with. In addition, the plan was to get it done now and be back with the team had they advanced.

I think Boston/Ainge will never have an issue with Kyrie.  We traded for him knowing that he a) exerted no effort on defense throughout his career; b) demanded a trade from a perennial contender out of clinically significant narcissism/personality pathology; c) threatened to have surgery on his knee if his trade demand was not met; d) went several days without speaking to his teammates during the '17 Finals; e) has the character to trash his former city and coach in post-trade statements; f) needlessly placed himself at risk of missing the playoffs with his new team in year #1 (best impression) when it was apparent they couldn't beat GS, and then magically had an infection; g) missed the biggest opportunity of the season to support his young and overachieving teammates because his nighttime snoring was insufferable.

And you are a tar heel that does not like a bluedevil

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

Keith Smith

is this post a joke or serious?? You honestly think that the infection in his knee and the knee surgery was not real?

I think you know that I'm serious, but to substantiate my position, he loses the benefit of the doubt on (f) due to points (a) through (d).  They're simply facts.  On top of that, I recently went through all the same issues -- a bad break, hardware issues, a very serious infection that ate away at my wrist bone, etc -- and am leveraging my knowledge of those issues to better understand his situation.  It's amazing to me that people can see the situation otherwise, but I've come to the conclusion that fans simply don't care about a player's character if he contributes to wins.  I do, so be it.  I'll respect your opinion and hope for the same.

I just think that to say his injury was fake is abit of a hot-take. A -D, okay I can see your points and respect your opinion. But he was clearly hobbled prior to his surgery due to the knee. 

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Keith Smith

I just think that to say his injury was fake is abit of a hot-take. A -D, okay I can see your points and respect your opinion. But he was clearly hobbled prior to his surgery due to the knee.
also the nasal surgery is easy to explain why it had to be that day- usually surgeons are very busy and don't have an abundance of openings available
I think ainge said the plan was to get the surgery then join the team just in time for the nba finals

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Keith Smith

I was about to say this is a new level for you. But then I realised it wasn’t really new at all. Same tedious points ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I find it hard to believe he would need this surgery on a holiday weekend.

He had been wearing the face mask months ago and didn't need this surgery then?

I guess it's a solid built in excuse for not attending an elimination game where your "big brother" was in all likely hood going to bring down the hammer.

But you didn't have to acknowledge him or interact with him at any point.

KG totally ignored Ray even when he came over to "dab" him.

Irving has always been one to beat to his own tune....it's actually not a surprising move on his part.

Disappointing.

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
I find it hard to believe he would need this surgery on a holiday weekend.

He had been wearing the face mask months ago and didn't need this surgery then?

I guess it's a solid built in excuse for not attending an elimination game where your "big brother" was in all likely hood going to bring down the hammer.

But you didn't have to acknowledge him or interact with him at any point.

KG totally ignored Ray even when he came over to "dab" him.

Irving has always been one to beat to his own tune....it's actually not a surprising move on his part.

Disappointing.

Or march to the beat of his own drum even.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Bigger conspiracy theorist: Kyrie Irving or Tarheels?

Toss up for me
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
On top of that, I recently went through all the same issues -- a bad break, hardware issues, a very serious infection that ate away at my wrist bone, etc -- and am leveraging my knowledge of those issues to better understand his situation.

I would wager that a pro athlete has better treatment and recovery times on average because they are assets in terms of their health to a team.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Keith Smith

Not like this Tars... not like this....

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Who cares.

As long as he performs at a high level when he's actually on the court (and, you know, can actually make a tangible impact on this team), I really don't care whether he is there or not. 

If you're not suiting up, it really doesn't matter to me where you're at.  Obviously, its nice to see those guys there on the bench but getting all bent out of shape because a guy who isn't playing, isn't attending a game he can't play in just seems ridiculous and reeks of being on a soapbox about someone's projection of contrived loyalty or maybe just upset that their binky got shipped out of town for this guy.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Who cares.

As long as he performs at a high level when he's actually on the court (and, you know, can actually make a tangible impact on this team), I really don't care whether he is there or not. 

If you're not suiting up, it really doesn't matter to me where you're at.  Obviously, its nice to see those guys there on the bench but getting all bent out of shape because a guy who isn't playing, isn't attending a game he can't play in just seems ridiculous and reeks of being on a soapbox about someone's projection of contrived loyalty or maybe just upset that their binky got shipped out of town for this guy.

Contrived loyalty ?

Being at a home game your team is playing hardly seems a contrived act to me - I would demand that of myself and my teammates .............. and he said he wanted to go somewhere where he could lead a team by himself. Brother, that ain't leadin'.

Bottom line is his basic character is selfish. Ainge doesn't seem to care and Stevens is maybe too afraid to say anything. Maybe he did privately because this seems like the type of thing Stevens would not like to see on his team - he strikes me as old-school at heart.

I didn't trust Irving's head when we acquired him and he has done very little to reassure me and I hope very much to be proved wrong.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Who cares.

Contrived loyalty ?

Being at a home game your team is playing hardly seems a contrived act to me - I would demand that of myself and my teammates .............. and he said he wanted to go somewhere where he could lead a team by himself. Brother, that ain't leadin'.

Bottom line is his basic character is selfish. Ainge doesn't seem to care and Stevens is maybe too afraid to say anything. Maybe he did privately because this seems like the type of thing Stevens would not like to see on his team - he strikes me as old-school at heart.

I didn't trust Irving's head when we acquired him and he has done very little to reassure me and I hope very much to be proved wrong.

And as most people who have played a team sport can attest, once you step over the line onto the field/court/ice, anyone who isn't out there on the court/field/ice with you is pretty much irrelevant.   You think Tatum or Brown or whoever was thinking "Oh man, Kyrie isn't there on the bench in street clothes rooting on us on right now, whatever are we gonna do without our leader?" .  Of course not. I can guarantee that's not running through their head.  Playing the game & trying to win the game are.

Outside of offering some advice & a jumbotron appearance to boost the crowd up, whether or not he is there, really shouldn't matter.  Yes, it would be nice to have him there for symbolic purposes but if a guy isn't playing, it really shouldn't matter a lick.  It certainly shouldn't be something to get worked up about. I haven't seen anyone on the Celtics side coming out and complaining Sunday night's game.   I really haven't seen anyone from the organization complaining about the guy this season. 

People sure as heck aren't going to moan on this when they're out there at mid-court (or in some visitor locker room) accepting the Larry O'Brien trophy next June and he's right in the middle of it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team