Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 963023 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1515 on: April 02, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close.

It's horrible.  I wasn't looking forward to it, because I thought it would be a tear-jerker about a topic that is still a bit raw.  Instead, it's the story of an incredibly annoying and unlikeable kid.  My theory:  Tom Hanks didn't die in the WTC attack.  Rather, he used that tragedy as an excuse to fake his own death to go into hiding from his obnoxious monster of a son and his depressed, mopey wife.  

I didn't see that movie, but now I just might so I can perfect my exit plan :P

I also really didnt like the movie nor want to see it but the GF bumped it up to the netflix queue, I just thought it was bad but I like your plot twist better.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #1516 on: April 02, 2012, 01:30:38 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
Flame and Citron  (2008)

The code names for two Danish Resistence fighters who assassinate Nazi officers and Danish collaborators.  Very intense from start to finish, with in depth psychological studies as well.  What goes on in the perimeter of war is every bit as bad as the war itself.

« Reply #1517 on: April 02, 2012, 06:00:07 PM »

Kiorrik

Saw 21 Jump street this weekend, it was funnier than I thought it would be.
For a fraction of a second I thought you were talking about Saw 21.

Yeah, I know right?

« Reply #1518 on: April 02, 2012, 06:45:07 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Saw Wrath of the Titans with my oldest son over the weekend. Special effects were off the chain, lol.

Plot was....ok..not bad at all, but a bit too predictable for me.

Sam Worthington was great once again, but Liam Neeson carries just about ANYTHING he's a part of.

Qui Kon Jin in The Phantom Menace...his "Taken" movie...his Zeus role? Not many do it better, IMO.

Highly recommend it....this movie will hold my excitement for a bit, at least until Avengers comes out.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:49:46 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #1519 on: April 02, 2012, 07:27:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
Flame and Citron  (2008)

The code names for two Danish Resistence fighters who assassinate Nazi officers and Danish collaborators.  Very intense from start to finish, with in depth psychological studies as well.  What goes on in the perimeter of war is every bit as bad as the war itself.

sounds interesting...queued it up on Netflix
Yup

« Reply #1520 on: April 05, 2012, 02:01:42 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Caught up on a lot of movies lately:

The World According to Garp-  Alright movie, worth seeing for the unintentional laughs of a 30 year old Robin Williams playing a 16 year old.

Z: A Magnificent Obsession-  Very cool doc about a small channel that tried to do battle with HBO in the 80s.

The Sitter-  It doesn't match the quality of most Apatow-esque comedies, but it delivers a few laughs.  a decent rent.

Moneyball- I'm sure most of you have heard about how good this is.  Crazy they were able to make sabremetrics seem compelling. 

Martha Marcy May Marlene- really creepy thriller starring the olsen twins' younger sister.  not really exciting, but very unsettling.  recommended.

Beginners-  fantastic movie.  christopher plummer and ewen mcgregor are great.  highly recommended.

The Dead-  b-movie zombie flick that is surprisingly decent.  acting is terrible, but they do a good job with the story line.  decent rent if you like zombie movies.

The Thing (2012)-  better than i thought it would be, but that's not saying much.  worth a rent if you liked the first one.

Melancholia- A giant planet is crashing into earth, and that's one of the least random things going on in the movie.  More von  trier weirdness.

My Week with Marilyn-  very well made movie.  Michelle Williams is one of the best actresses alive.

Fright Night-  exceeded my expectations.  was a whole lot of fun.  def a solid rent.

Road to Nowhere-  had its moments, but i thought it was an incomprehensible mess.  critics dug it, so maybe im missing something.

« Reply #1521 on: April 07, 2012, 11:32:48 AM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
Black Book  (2006)

A prime example of a good movie gone bad.
It's about the Dutch resistance to German takeover in WWII. Paul Verhoeven directed, and he just can't resist going over the top.  And in doing so he loses all his credibility.

The movie is almost two and a half hours long, forty-five minutes more than needed to tell the story. For the first hour it was building into a decent story about smuggling Jews out of the country, and their being double-crossed by an informer.
But then instead of moving forward, it just goes around in circles, with endless contrived scenes of bullets, blood and blatant nudity (merely for shock value). It got really tedious.

This is the third "resistance" movie I've watched lately, after reading Albert Camus' book on the futility of rebellion.  "Every rebellion ultimately ends with the state reaffirming its power over the masses."

I highly recommend the other two resistance movies:  Flame and Citron (Danish) and Army of Shadows (French / B&W)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:11:56 PM by looseball »

« Reply #1522 on: April 07, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
21 Jump Street.

Solid, made me chuckle a bit but the story is really good.

Although, I only watched it because of Brie Larson, my Envy Adams.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #1523 on: April 07, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Hard Days Night..genius then...more genius now

Doubt..didn't see all of it, but it was pretty good.

« Reply #1524 on: April 13, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
Had a bunch of good chuckles at the 3 Stooges movie.  Either you like the Stooges or you don't.  The physical humor was spot on.

A funny performance by Larry David.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:19:52 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #1525 on: April 15, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
21 Jump Street.

Just a warning.  I didn't see the rating on this movie before my husband and I took the 14 year old boy he is mentoring.  We had seen fairly innocuous trailers the week before. 

The three of us waltzed up to the ticket counter, purchased tickets and walked in.  The movie opened...bad language  abounded.  I turned red, and started breathing fire.  My  husband said it was bound to calm down...I went to the lobby.t

At the lobby they were turning away older teens saying under 21 not allowd in without parents, and they had to actually SIT with the parents! (No one at the ticket counter had warned us.)

I went back in and dragged them out (my husband, looking very embarrassed, said I  did the right thing).  We got our money back, and apologies.  We also had a little talk with Jake about   peer pressure and using your own good sense and removing yourself from uncomfortable situations.  I am still pretty ticked off...both because we didn't do our homework, and because the theater didn't warn us.

I don't understand how anyone can get past the language to say that the movie was humorous in any way.  Just my opinion.

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #1526 on: April 15, 2012, 02:38:39 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Frankly, I can't believe they gave you your money back.  The TV ads said the movie was rated R.  I'm sure the theatre had the movie listed as rated R.  That should be more than enough to tell someone they shouldn't bring children to the movie.  I find it laughable to expect the cashier at a movie theatre to take the time to size up a family he knows nothing about and give his/her opinion as to whether or not you should bring a kid to that movie or not.

« Reply #1527 on: April 17, 2012, 04:33:17 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I (unfortunately) found myself watching the Matthew Broderick version of "Godzilla" tonight, while doing my computer stuff and swicthing channels, and I have to admit, I have never rooted as ernestly and wholeheartedly for the creature as I did in this one.

Seriously, there is not one iota of a reason to cheer for the humans in this movie, (or feel even remotely sorry for them), as they systematically torture, maim, and slowly kill the beast and it's babies and send them into endangered species oblivion.

If there is a sequel to this slaughter-thon, (which they clearly left room for with the one remaining baby creature), I pray they give the last little beast it's due retribution, and turn Broderick, TV Reporter, mysterious Frenchman, and Army General, et al, into so much dinosaur doo-doo.

The rediculously triumphant-sounding celebration music at the end is so contrary to the emotions you feel at that point, that it's just plain laughable, (or nausea-inducing), and the only saving grace is that closing image of the one surviving hatchling, and the hope of some gory, gut-tearing, human-munching, prehistoric monster payback.

I pray that somewhere there's a denaro-drenched producer who sees the same profit-filled possibilities I do in a Godzilla-gets-even follow-up to this sham, and a glorious end to Broderick's glib, condescending, sickly-sweet, boyish pseudo-scientist characterization.

Long live Godzilla! (Jaws 3, anyone?)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:50:08 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #1528 on: April 17, 2012, 08:05:25 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Battleship. That was fun. I was nostalgic there for a bit.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #1529 on: April 17, 2012, 08:50:55 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
21 Jump Street.

Just a warning.  I didn't see the rating on this movie before my husband and I took the 14 year old boy he is mentoring.  We had seen fairly innocuous trailers the week before. 

The three of us waltzed up to the ticket counter, purchased tickets and walked in.  The movie opened...bad language  abounded.  I turned red, and started breathing fire.  My  husband said it was bound to calm down...I went to the lobby.t

At the lobby they were turning away older teens saying under 21 not allowd in without parents, and they had to actually SIT with the parents! (No one at the ticket counter had warned us.)

I went back in and dragged them out (my husband, looking very embarrassed, said I  did the right thing).  We got our money back, and apologies.  We also had a little talk with Jake about   peer pressure and using your own good sense and removing yourself from uncomfortable situations.  I am still pretty ticked off...both because we didn't do our homework, and because the theater didn't warn us.

I don't understand how anyone can get past the language to say that the movie was humorous in any way.  Just my opinion.

Yeah im sorry if I worked at the theater I would not have given your money back. One) its clearly marked rated R so I dont know what you were expecting.... 2) Jonah Hill is probably the dirtiest actor in the business, Im not sure what you were looking to get out of it.

Last movie I watched was Ice Age the Meltdown; great sequel.