Author Topic: Heat (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) ECF Game #2 9/17/20  (Read 63863 times)

Re: Heat (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) ECF Game #2 9/17/20
« Reply #1080 on: September 17, 2020, 10:19:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
This game 3 might be the most pivotal game of many of our guy's careers. Backs against the wall, this is where we find out what these guys are made of.

Agreed.

Disagree. I think tonight was the pivotal game.  Our coach is too stubborn to make the necessary adjustment. Only hope is for Hayward to return, and frankly he is unlikely to be of much use his first 2-3 games back.  Just think tonight showed one team a lot better coached, and playing harder, than the other.

« Reply #1081 on: September 17, 2020, 10:19:56 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Tatum has become a prima donna.  Stevens is scared to put him in his place.

The Heat played so much harder than the Celtics in the 2nd half. Really feel that the difference in effort was why they won. Along we terrible rotation decisions by Stevens.
I do think it's fair to ask whether Stevens is the coach to get them over the hump. Tatum may need someone to push him to get him to the next level.  Is Brad the guy to do that?

Of course if you go the other way and bring in someone of the 'aggressive' variety, you run the risk of making Tatum want to go elsewhere - such is life in today's player-centric NBA.

I'm doubting Tatum can be best player on a championship team.  I have more respect right now for Jimmy Butler. He rises to the occasion.  Tatum has wilted.  His defense is frankly overrated in this series too.  Butler just blows by him.  Jimmy Butler, one of the more slow footed swings in the NBA.
Tatum was never a great man defender against quicker wings and guards so it's nothing unusual imo. Butler is pretty quick at getting downhill though, he's hardly slow.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1082 on: September 17, 2020, 10:20:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
The SADDEST part about all this, is it kind of shows that we are BETTER than this Miami Heat team.

Our effort, especially in the 2nd half, is just excruciatingly paltry. All credit to Miami for putting in more effort, but we are better than their team and it has been showing. We just don't have the mentality to do it the entire 48 minutes.

Yeah if we play our best we can win this series.  But at this point our team my need to go to therapy to figure out how to stop throwing games away.  We just have no answer during crunch time (Jaylen's play at the end of the 4th was the exception)

The saddest part of this series is that if we had Herro instead of Romeo we win this easy.

If we had a healthy Hayward we'd be up 2-0 right now.

« Reply #1083 on: September 17, 2020, 10:20:44 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The SADDEST part about all this, is it kind of shows that we are BETTER than this Miami Heat team.

Our effort, especially in the 2nd half, is just excruciatingly paltry. All credit to Miami for putting in more effort, but we are better than their team and it has been showing. We just don't have the mentality to do it the entire 48 minutes.

Yeah if we play our best we can win this series.  But at this point our team my need to go to therapy to figure out how to stop throwing games away.  We just have no answer during crunch time (Jaylen's play at the end of the 4th was the exception)

The saddest part of this series is that if we had Herro instead of Romeo we win this easy.

Can't blame that on anyone. He was picked before us. That's an ever losing battle for everyone who can't move on.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #1084 on: September 17, 2020, 10:21:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This Miami team has PAT RILEY stamps all over it.... and Pat Riley teams are TOUGH!!!

Exactly

Marcus Smart toughness is not enough

KG, Perk, Rondo were really tough. Especially KG look made the opponents scared

« Reply #1085 on: September 17, 2020, 10:21:47 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

The Heat played so much harder than the Celtics in the 2nd half. Really feel that the difference in effort was why they won. Along we terrible rotation decisions by Stevens.
I do think it's fair to ask whether Stevens is the coach to get them over the hump. Tatum may need someone to push him to get him to the next level.  Is Brad the guy to do that?

Of course if you go the other way and bring in someone of the 'aggressive' variety, you run the risk of making Tatum want to go elsewhere - such is today's player-centric NBA.

I don't know what the answer is.  I think the first two ECFs that Brad got us to was a lot of playing to the absolute potential of the team.  This year feels different.  Hopefully it is just growing pains for the young guys, but we haven't seen enough adjustments from Brad in this series.  Brad can't get us to run decent plays to react to the zone (or maybe we are just screwing the plays up so badly?  not sure)  Brad hasn't been able to find the right group of guys to defend the 3.  (again maybe it is on the players and Miami is just undefendable from 3?  I doubt it though)

This series is the first time I have wondered about Brad moving forward as well.  I think we need to let the series play out before we make a bunch of judgements about it.  If we come back and win two more games does that change how we feel about Brad?  Probably.

We only have five guys and once and a while one of the bench guys does a little something. A scorer off the bench is needed. We needed energy in this one....

« Reply #1086 on: September 17, 2020, 10:22:05 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Of course if you go the other way and bring in someone of the 'aggressive' variety, you run the risk of making Tatum want to go elsewhere - such is life in today's player-centric NBA.

I'm doubting Tatum can be best player on a championship team.  I have more respect right now for Jimmy Butler. He rises to the occasion.  Tatum has wilted.  His defense is frankly overrated in this series too.  Butler just blows by him.  Jimmy Butler, one of the more slow footed swings in the NBA.

Jimmy is also 31 and has years of experience doing his own prima donna thing.

Tatum has been awesome at points during these playoffs. Should they lose, this is a learning point for him. It's amazing that people are so willing to throw in the towel on 3rd year player who's an All-Star and All-NBA talent.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #1087 on: September 17, 2020, 10:22:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Tatum was never a great man defender against quicker wings and guards so it's nothing unusual imo. Butler is pretty quick at getting downhill though, he's hardly slow.
Yeah, JT’s defensive value has always been team D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1088 on: September 17, 2020, 10:22:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Can't blame that on anyone. He was picked before us. That's an ever losing battle for everyone who can't move on.

I'm not blaming anyone it's just tough to swallow in this series.

« Reply #1089 on: September 17, 2020, 10:22:58 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Okay, let's slow it down a bit. He's 22 years old.

There's still a lot of room for Jayson Tatum to grow. Sure, he's not on par as a superstar with his performances right now, but it's too early to say he can't be the best player on a championship team.

Every year he has grown. This is the next evolutionary step, be more physically strong, be more mentally tough. I know he hasn't had a good series so far but you gotta give the kid some kind of break.

Same goes for Jaylen, although his effort today was by far the best on this squad.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #1090 on: September 17, 2020, 10:23:13 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
This game 3 might be the most pivotal game of many of our guy's careers. Backs against the wall, this is where we find out what these guys are made of.

Agreed.

Disagree. I think tonight was the pivotal game.  Our coach is too stubborn to make the necessary adjustment. Only hope is for Hayward to return, and frankly he is unlikely to be of much use his first 2-3 games back.  Just think tonight showed one team a lot better coached, and playing harder, than the other.
You can come back from down 0-2. You can realistically come back 0-3. They're still a chance. They aren't dead in the water, no matter how many wrist slitters say otherwise. They have one more game to right this ship.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #1091 on: September 17, 2020, 10:23:17 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1092 on: September 17, 2020, 10:23:47 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1093 on: September 17, 2020, 10:24:16 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1306774772156596225

Brad Stevens: "This isn't about zones and defenses or offenses. We just need to be better."

Uh, no, Brad, it's absolutely about the zone and has been the last two series. You just don't want it to be because you're incapable of figuring it out.

« Reply #1094 on: September 17, 2020, 10:24:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This Miami team has PAT RILEY stamps all over it.... and Pat Riley teams are TOUGH!!!

Exactly

Marcus Smart toughness is not enough

KG, Perk, Rondo were really tough. Especially KG look made the opponents scared

You look at this Cs team and other than Smart no one puts fear in your mind. Smart will take your lunch and have you clean up after him.