Author Topic: I don't think Marcus Morris should be starting  (Read 3497 times)

I don't think Marcus Morris should be starting
« on: November 21, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »

Offline jackpercussion

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
Just my opinion.

I think the offense has had more success when either Baynes or Theis starts.  Neither player has to create his own offense, and just needs to focus on blocking shots and rebounds.  Any offense they produce is a bonus.  Marcus Morris seems to take away shots with Jaylen, Jason, Al and Kyrie on the court.  I really like Marcus Morris and think he is a fantastic addition to the team.  On the second unit, he gives more opportunity to stabilize and add offense to a currently struggling group.
I know Baynes will start against Miami, but I think Theis should also start against teams with less physical centers.  Just more balance to the team. 

Re: I don't think Marcus Morris should be starting
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:12:02 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I agree. I think he should be the lead guy on the second unit. Baynes makes sense with the starters.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 09:34:24 AM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I have been saying this for a few games now.  He needs to be the 6th man.  I am surprised at how good he is  at creating his own shot.  The bench needs that a lot more than the starters do.  He gets lost with the starters. 

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 09:37:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
anything that gives Marcus Smart less opportunities to shoot is a good thing by me.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 10:03:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I agree. I think he should be the lead guy on the second unit. Baynes makes sense with the starters.
Especially when Carlisle is starting Kleber at the 4 instead of Barnes.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 10:20:20 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This seems obvious and it was even something Brad was doing earlier in the year (and the last two years with Amir/Horford and Amir/Sully). Morris is a nice player, but he isn't having the effect with the 1st unit that he would with the 2nd. When Rozier is by far your best offensive option in the 2nd unit, you know you're in trouble.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The problem is that Morris has fewer shots than Avery Bradley. So if he's the lead guy in the second unit, we're in trouble.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 11:22:08 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
anything that gives Marcus Smart less opportunities to shoot is a good thing by me.
Amen brother.  TP

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 11:39:25 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think the issue with him not starting is the team either starts the only other real C on the team or start a 2nd rookie. 

I think I would try starting a 2nd rookie and see how it works, keeping the 2nd C off the bench as well. 

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 11:51:36 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think the issue with him not starting is the team either starts the only other real C on the team or start a 2nd rookie. 

I think I would try starting a 2nd rookie and see how it works, keeping the 2nd C off the bench as well. 

Starting Baynes and Horford hasn't been an issue. You can start both and stagger their minutes so one of them is in the court for probably 90% of the game. I think Theis can competently handle 5 minutes a game on the court as the center.  Unless the opponent is starting a truly bad matchup for Horford (i.e. Aaron Gordon), Baynes should be starting, as it would make both our starting unit and bench better.

It's about maximizing the abilities of the individual players. Morris clearly adds more to the bench than he does the starting unit, and the opposite seems to be true about Baynes.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 12:00:26 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
The problem is that Morris has fewer shots than Avery Bradley. So if he's the lead guy in the second unit, we're in trouble.

He's scoring 19.6 pp36 and Avery Bradley is averaging... 19.6 pp36. FGA and usage are roughly the same. And you act like it's a bad thing. Bradley's the 3rd scoring option on a team that's 3rd in the Eastern Conference.

Not to mention, Morris is doing that as the 5th option in a starting group and Bradley's putting up his numbers as the 3rd option. Morris would surely have more opportunities off the bench, for the reasons others have discussed.

Marcus Morris is a perfectly capable bench scoring option on most teams, and would be a substantive improvement on ours.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 12:02:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm fine with swapping out Morris and Baynes depending on the matchups.

The clear cut top 4 guys are Kyrie, Horford, Tatum, and Brown.  The fifth guy really depends on matchups and who has it going .... Smart, Rozier, Baynes, Morris, Theis, sometimes even Larkin.

It's a good situation to be in, really, when you have so many role players who can step in.  That's a function of having a really excellent top 4.

Now, just imagine when Gordon Hayward is that 5th guy .....
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 12:25:34 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I started two threads saying that Baynes should start. We looked much better as a team when he did.

Plus, Morris on the second team gives them someone who can shoot. God knows they need it.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 12:45:29 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

We're in trouble with Morris as opposed to Marcus Smart as the #1 option on the 2nd unit?

IMO, moving Morris to the 2nd unit is a no-brainer.

There might be matchups, like when we play Cleveland, where I think Morris with the starters is preferable. But in general, I think it's much better to leave him with the 2nd unit, then depending on matchups or who is hot, your finishing unit could include either Morris, Baynes or Smart.

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 01:13:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i tend to agree

i like Baynes