Author Topic: Which musician / group is the most universally liked?  (Read 23763 times)

Re: Which musician / group is the most universally liked?
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2022, 11:58:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The problem in this thread in that people are putting out their own favorites, not "most universally liked".  This is a harder question than just throwing out your favs.

« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2022, 12:18:44 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
The problem in this thread in that people are putting out their own favorites, not "most universally liked".  This is a harder question than just throwing out your favs.

Still sticking with the Beatles as the most universally liked!  My current favorite is Pearl Jam.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2022, 12:51:44 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The Rolling Stones.

As a musical act, the music transcends the entire history of Rock, of which is rooted in the blues. They made their bones as a poor band living together in London. They actually played their own instruments on most recordings, wrote most of their own tunes, they invented what imitators are still trying to sell on comeback tours.

They then joyously gave back to the black musicians who's shoulders they stood upon. 

(Did someone actually say the Monkees? lol

« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2022, 01:17:24 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Maybe there is a component of "not hated"

The Beatles, Stevie Wonder, maybe even James Taylor.
The stuff they play at the White House and National Mall for the US at least. Not too confrontational to turn anyone off.

« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2022, 02:12:11 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The Rolling Stones.

As a musical act, the music transcends the entire history of Rock, of which is rooted in the blues. They made their bones as a poor band living together in London. They actually played their own instruments on most recordings, wrote most of their own tunes, they invented what imitators are still trying to sell on comeback tours.

They then joyously gave back to the black musicians who's shoulders they stood upon. 

Yeah. I did. Got a problem with that? ;)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2022, 02:21:03 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Mozart?
Yup

« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2022, 02:27:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Jonathan Richman.

If you don't love him, it's because you don't know him.

The only time I ever saw him live was in the 90's when I was visiting friends in L.A..  He was playing at a club.  I was having a great time, and enjoying the hell out of the show, but I started sneezing uncontrollably in reaction to the cigarette smoke permeating the air.  I was maybe 20 feet from the stage and I do not have what you would call a "delicate sneeze".  I let it fly full body with my sneezes.  At one point, I swear to god, I locked eyes with Jonathan and he was very clearly annoyed at my cacophony. 

I absolutely could not stop sneezing because of the smoke, and I didn't want to make hom angry, so I sadly told my friends I'd wait outside for him and missed the rest of the show.

He is a great singer/song writer.  Very witty.

Thankfully no more smoking at shows these days.  They still make me sneeze!
Yup

« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2022, 02:55:42 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Still sticking with the Beatles as the most universally liked!  My current favorite is Pearl Jam.
Bing, bing, bing, bing, the correct answer!

« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2022, 03:57:16 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
The Rolling Stones.

No problem friend, didn't mean to rile your feathers: but just as Milli Vanilli didn't really sing, and Alex Baldwin surely pulled that trigger, and there ain't no Santa. The Monkees aren't a true rock band. And there's no law against enjoying the tunes written by Boyce and Hart and the music recorded by the Recking Crew and nobody will blame you. And the Monkees definitely sang those tunes. I didn't mean to insinuate anything.

In fact...cheers to that Last Train to Clarksville.

« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2022, 05:11:06 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The Rolling Stones.

No problem friend, didn't mean to rile your feathers: but just as Milli Vanilli didn't really sing, and Alex Baldwin surely pulled that trigger, and there ain't no Santa. The Monkees aren't a true rock band. And there's no law against enjoying the tunes written by Boyce and Hart and the music recorded by the Recking Crew and nobody will blame you. And the Monkees definitely sang those tunes. I didn't mean to insinuate anything.

You're fine. And I apologize for getting a bit riled. I know that the Monkees have a somewhat "controversial" background/origin according to certain people, but they were the first music act I connected with as a kid, and I still love them, and I feel like they often get slighted, through no fault of their own, and I always want to defend them. I mean, they started during the time when music acts had just begun the transition to writing their own music and playing their own instruments, so utilizing outside writers and musicians wasn't exactly taboo at that time—in fact, several other acts were still utilizing outside writers and/or session musicians at least sometimes, including the Beach Boys, yet didn't (and don't) receive the criticism the Monkees get.

And the Monkees, after their first two albums, fought for and gained control of their musical output, and did most of the playing on their third and fourth albums (Headquarters and Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn, and Jones, Ltd.) That, coupled with the fact that they did all of the playing on their early tours, is proof enough for me that they're a real rock group.

But, as the saying goes, art is subjective. I just like to make sure people know the whole Monkees story before they make any sort of judgment about them.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2022, 06:29:17 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Jonathan Richman.

If you don't love him, it's because you don't know him.

All this heat reminds me.

IT'S TIME FOR THE ICE CREAM MAN!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBcmumXg3Vk

« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2022, 12:32:29 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
My friends and I were discussing which musical act would be accepted by the largest percentage if you just grabbed a bunch of people at random.  It’s not “who would be most popular” so much as who would get the fewest “no way” votes.

Our group of mostly pasty white professionals in our 30s to 50s arrived on Tom Petty.  Nobody seems to hate Tom Petty as an artist.  It’s not because he’s generic, but rather that he seems universal.

Who would you throw out there as a contender?  And do any of you truly hate Tom Petty?

Problem with Tom Petty is that a hell of a lot of people have no idea who he is. 

Hell I'm 38 years old and a pretty big music enthusiast (especially love music from the 60s-90s) and the only reason I've even heard of Tom Petty is because I saw a video of him performing "Whlie my guitar gently weeps" with Prince and co  at the rock and roll hall of fame, so I went and looked him up. 

It's been years since then, and to this day I still only know two songs of his - one is a duet with Stevie Nicks (and I only know it because i like Stevie Nicks), and the other I cant remember unless I look up his songs. 

I think you'll find the vast majority of people are 40 and under wont know him or any of his music. 

« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2022, 12:42:30 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
I was thinking Billy Joel  might be fit the bill - his music covers a pretty wide range.  He's got some more upbeat pop songs (like Uptown girl) that may appeal to a younger audience, some more rebellious tracks (like "We didn't start the fire" and "Only the good die you"), some ballads, and some downright classics (like Piano man and Goodnight Saigon).  He seems to have something to appeal to almost everyone, and most of his music is conservative enough that I can't imagine many people would outright hate him. 

« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2022, 12:45:12 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
What about Queen/Freddie Mercury?  Bohemian Rhapsody was #1 in both the 70s and 90s, and hit the top 40 again in 2019.  That intergenerational popularity is pretty rare for a song.  Meanwhile We Will Rock You is ubiquitous at at sporting events, 45 years after it was written.  And obviously they have plenty of other popular songs,  but in terms of universal appeal, those two songs have demonstrated a seemingly unique ability to remain popular or at least appealing for generations.

I’m not a Queen fan (as ubiquitous and long-lasting as We Will Rock You has become,  I’ve never liked it).  I do, however, like Bohemian Rhapsody.  Might be a candidate for a universally liked song.

Agree with ETN re: Beach Boys - hard not to love them. And RRFYS - Elvis. I’m a fan though I bet some don’t like him.

I do think most people would like at least one Queen song. 

Beach Boys I don't like at all.  I can't stand Elvis as an individual nor his music.  Thought there probably are one or two songs that I would give an exception for. 

« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2022, 08:23:01 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
The Rolling Stones.

You're fine. And I apologize for getting a bit riled. I know that the Monkees have a somewhat "controversial" background/origin according to certain people, but they were the first music act I connected with as a kid, and I still love them, and I feel like they often get slighted, through no fault of their own, and I always want to defend them. I mean, they started during the time when music acts had just begun the transition to writing their own music and playing their own instruments, so utilizing outside writers and musicians wasn't exactly taboo at that time—in fact, several other acts were still utilizing outside writers and/or session musicians at least sometimes, including the Beach Boys, yet didn't (and don't) receive the criticism the Monkees get.

And the Monkees, after their first two albums, fought for and gained control of their musical output, and did most of the playing on their third and fourth albums (Headquarters and Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn, and Jones, Ltd.) That, coupled with the fact that they did all of the playing on their early tours, is proof enough for me that they're a real rock group.

But, as the saying goes, art is subjective. I just like to make sure people know the whole Monkees story before they make any sort of judgment about them.

You're correct, the Beach Boys did use outside musicians on recordings. But there was a time the Beach Boys could play a live set (alone, without musicians on the side) and sound pretty good.

While the Monkees never played alone as a unit without studio musicians off to the side to help them not embarrass themselves. As to the second and third albums doing "most of the playing" excuse me if I remain suspect. Dolenz could't play drums at all, Tork couldn't play the simplest of bass lines. Mike Nezmeth could play guitar just enough to not look horrible, and eventually left the act because the other were without musical talent. ie he was embarrassed. (I also saw that youtube thing)

IMO a band is built by the musicians themselves, they grow together, they hang together, they toil and suffer together. The Monkees were put together by TV executives to reach a certain audience. The tunes were catchy, but if left to only listen to the Monkees on a deserted Island? eek!

But if the Monkees are what floats your boat, that's great...enjoy! Hopefully they'll lead you to a real band.