Author Topic: Smart out up to two rounds!  (Read 21471 times)

Re: Smart out up to two rounds!
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2019, 03:53:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Decent chance we've seen Marcus Smart play his last game as a Boston Celtic
That's almost upsetting...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2019, 07:27:56 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I'll be bummed if Marcus misses an opportunity to contribute in the playoffs and then gets moved in a deal for AD.  What a crappy way to go out for a player who truly embraced being a "Celtic".  I suppose we are lucky that our fan base can worry about this type of stuff.

Anyways, has anyone detailed a way to land Davis without giving up two of Brown, Tatum, or Smart?  I don't see how a trade can be cap compliant any other way.  Just a thought, but would it be possible for the Celtics to use the rookie salaries of their two highest 2019 draft picks AFTER the 30 day moratorium period?  If so, wouldn't it be better for the Memphis pick to convey for rookie salary reasons? 

Hypothetically, the Celtics would be drafting for New Orleans with those picks, with a trade not being executed until a month later.  This is obviously a risky scenario because the Pelicans could move AD for a different offer, not to mention the opportunity cost of other moves that Danny could have made.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 07:33:01 AM by Green-18 »

« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2019, 07:56:13 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

I'll be bummed if Marcus misses an opportunity to contribute in the playoffs and then gets moved in a deal for AD.  What a crappy way to go out for a player who truly embraced being a "Celtic".  I suppose we are lucky that our fan base can worry about this type of stuff.

Anyways, has anyone detailed a way to land Davis without giving up two of Brown, Tatum, or Smart?  I don't see how a trade can be cap compliant any other way.  Just a thought, but would it be possible for the Celtics to use the rookie salaries of their two highest 2019 draft picks AFTER the 30 day moratorium period?  If so, wouldn't it be better for the Memphis pick to convey for rookie salary reasons? 

Hypothetically, the Celtics would be drafting for New Orleans with those picks, with a trade not being executed until a month later.  This is obviously a risky scenario because the Pelicans could move AD for a different offer, not to mention the opportunity cost of other moves that Danny could have made.

With the 4 picks conveying and being signed and tatum, williams, yabusele there wpuld be enough salary for trade to go through.

Without memphis pick team would need to use MLE like NOW and then in 90 days trade that signing with 3 signed picks and tatum, yabusele.

Or work out a very difficult deal which involves a sign amd trade along with tatum, picks.

« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2019, 08:16:29 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

With the 4 picks conveying and being signed and tatum, williams, yabusele there wpuld be enough salary for trade to go through.

Without memphis pick team would need to use MLE like NOW and then in 90 days trade that signing with 3 signed picks and tatum, yabusele.

Or work out a very difficult deal which involves a sign amd trade along with tatum, picks.

Thanks for confirming.  I've never understood the popular sentiment that we don't want the Memphis pick to convey, at least when it comes to an AD trade.  Being able to use that pick makes the trade much easier.

« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2019, 01:23:34 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I have a HARD time thinking that we would agree to a trade so far in advance that we could make the picks on NOL’s behalf.  Is there a precedent for that?  Can we actually trade the guys after we draft them or would we have to wait?  Just seems too complicated.

The only situation I could think of is Wiggins for Love but there was no agreement beforehand.

« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2019, 01:40:12 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

I have a HARD time thinking that we would agree to a trade so far in advance that we could make the picks on NOL’s behalf.  Is there a precedent for that?  Can we actually trade the guys after we draft them or would we have to wait?  Just seems too complicated.

The only situation I could think of is Wiggins for Love but there was no agreement beforehand.

Rookies can be traded after 30 days.  I don't believe there's any precedent for a deal like this.  At the same time, Danny is exactly the type of GM who would attempt it.  Smart shouldn't be a sticking point for New Orleans.

Does anyone know if draft picks can be moved multiple times within a few days?  If not, this means that the Pelicans would have no choice but to use the 2019 picks that they acquire from us.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:49:19 PM by Green-18 »

« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2019, 01:53:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Drafted players have been in trades that aren't completed until later in the summer many, many times. Whether they are traded as just draft rights or as signed players, really doesn't matter. What does matter is that the trade in which those players traded were basically agreed upon before the draft and so, the players were drafted by one team in June to be traded to the other team later that summer.

A lot of the structure of the Love-Wiggins deal was discussed and probably agreed upon before the draft. The pick involved, Wiggins, is the player Minny wanted at #1 but also the player Cleveland had at the top of their draft board too, so if the trade fell apart, Cleveland still ended up with a player they wanted.

« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2019, 02:43:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
is it possible to have a thread here that does NOT devolve into a series of fantasies involving a trade for davis?  :P
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2019, 03:02:44 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
lol you can blame me for responding to LarBrd's comment about Marcus never playing another game with the Celtics.  I'd say the thread was on its last legs anyways. 

« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2019, 03:48:20 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Drafted players have been in trades that aren't completed until later in the summer many, many times. Whether they are traded as just draft rights or as signed players, really doesn't matter. What does matter is that the trade in which those players traded were basically agreed upon before the draft and so, the players were drafted by one team in June to be traded to the other team later that summer.

A lot of the structure of the Love-Wiggins deal was discussed and probably agreed upon before the draft. The pick involved, Wiggins, is the player Minny wanted at #1 but also the player Cleveland had at the top of their draft board too, so if the trade fell apart, Cleveland still ended up with a player they wanted.
You might be rewriting history on the Wiggins trade.  I’ve never seen any evidence to suggest that the Cavs made the pick on Minny’s behalf or that they picked the player Minny wanted.

As for players drafting for other teams, I know they happen frequently.  That’s exactly how we got Ray Allen.  But there was no long gap where things could change.  And it didn’t involve other players.

« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2019, 04:15:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You might be rewriting history on the Wiggins trade.  I’ve never seen any evidence to suggest that the Cavs made the pick on Minny’s behalf or that they picked the player Minny wanted.

As for players drafting for other teams, I know they happen frequently.  That’s exactly how we got Ray Allen.  But there was no long gap where things could change.  And it didn’t involve other players.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/11397368/kevin-love-traded-minnesota-timberwolves-cleveland-cavaliers

The article discusses how Cleveland wanted to keep Wiigins but eventually gave in.

The article discusses that trade talks started long before LeBron decided to leave Miami for Cleveland.

Here is an article that discusses Minnesota's interest in Cleveland's top pick for Love being discussed before the draft going back to beginnings of talks as early as February of that year. It's a good read about the history behind the trade:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/zonecoverage.com/2018/timberwolves/a-look-back-on-the-kevin-love-andrew-wiggins-trade/amp/

« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2019, 03:50:12 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Per Tim Bontemps: Smart said he's walking fluidly, but still is "a couple weeks" away from even jogging, let alone getting back to running full speed. He is making progress, but his return is far from imminent. 

« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2019, 04:24:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Per Tim Bontemps: Smart said he's walking fluidly, but still is "a couple weeks" away from even jogging, let alone getting back to running full speed. He is making progress, but his return is far from imminent.
I had to spend most of the day Wednesday in the car and so listened to sports talk. Yes, I am a lot dumber for having listened, but, they had some comments from Smart that said he is still in a bunch of pain and just walking normally was still an issue.

Doesn't sound like much has changed in those couple days. And, it doesn't sound like he will be anywhere near ready to play for a month minimum, most likely longer. That's longer than the expected "ready for round 3" that I have seen reported

« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I had to spend most of the day Wednesday in the car and so listened to sports talk. Yes, I am a lot dumber for having listened, but, they had some comments from Smart that said he is still in a bunch of pain and just walking normally was still an issue.

Doesn't sound like much has changed in those couple days. And, it doesn't sound like he will be anywhere near ready to play for a month minimum, most likely longer. That's longer than the expected "ready for round 3" that I have seen reported

This sucks. Hopefully we get some first round series that goes 7 to extend things a little and the C's have some kind of plan for the Bucks.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2019, 10:58:42 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Such a devastating injury. Just imagine if Terry Rozier stayed nailed to the bench and we could have smart out there instead. We don’t need him to get through this round, but we are going to miss him next round.

Most recent report said he was “weeks” away from running. Will take even longer to get his wind back and play the way he needs to - Fighting through picks, bodying up wings and forwards, changing direction,  diving on the floor. I am resigned to the idea he won’t be back before the conference finals, and maybe not this year. I think this is one of those injuries that it isn’t safe to try playing through; you can make yourself worse.