Author Topic: Gordon Hayward-point forward  (Read 1825 times)

Gordon Hayward-point forward
« on: April 29, 2019, 06:36:06 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Just went back and watched Draft Express video of Gordon and its video featured Gordon in Jazz uniform and it answered a lot of questions as to Hayward and his burst and elevation.He is very close, but even with the Jazz he used his IQ and timing to gain advantage.He is perfect for Celtics  as another veteran that makes the right play at both ends of court.

It was a joke the way he strolled into the paint against the Bucks vaunted defense .He seemed to control time as his subtle fluid change of pace or angles was barely perceptible as he took advantage of any shift of balance from his defensive man and then threatened with his options forcing decisions by the defense.
Haywards dribbling and passing skills enable with with his height allow him to see over the defense and take advantage.
And he has the length and strength compliment the Celtics switching defense.

Kyrie and Gordon make the Celtics a very deadly team as evidenced by yesterdays play.
Gordon adds another 6-8 guy that plays a silent defense in a very positional way.Yesterday it looked like the Celtics had extra players or the Bucks fewer as the Celts game planned the Bucks into a loss.
Brads game plan was the Celtics sixth man yesterday
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 06:46:11 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Gordon Hayward-point forward
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 07:24:26 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Just went back and watched Draft Express video of Gordon and its video featured Gordon in Jazz uniform and it answered a lot of questions as to Hayward and his burst and elevation.He is very close, but even with the Jazz he used his IQ and timing to gain advantage.He is perfect for Celtics  as another veteran that makes the right play at both ends of court.

It was a joke the way he strolled into the paint against the Bucks vaunted defense .He seemed to control time as his subtle fluid change of pace or angles was barely perceptible as he took advantage of any shift of balance from his defensive man and then threatened with his options forcing decisions by the defense.
Haywards dribbling and passing skills enable with with his height allow him to see over the defense and take advantage.

Kyrie and Gordon make the Celtics a very deadly team as evidenced by yesterdays play.
Gordon adds another 6-8 guy that plays a silent defense in a very positional way.Yesterday it looked like the Celtics had extra players or the Bucks fewer as the Celts game planned the Bucks into a loss.

I’ll give it to ole Gordy he finally returned to form in my eyes. He’s just hitting all the shots he’s supposed to be hitting really. I’m kind of glad he doesn’t start because he does offer a good change of pace when Kyrie isn’t on the floor and Terry is. As long as Gordy is matched up against 2nd units he should be able to outsmart them every time which is what we are seeing.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 08:31:09 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker

It was a joke the way he strolled into the paint against the Bucks vaunted defense .He seemed to control time as his subtle fluid change of pace or angles was barely perceptible, as he took advantage of any shift of balance from his defensive man  Then threatened with his options forcing decisions by the defense.
Haywards dribbling and passing skills enable him with his 6-8 height  to see over the defense and take advantage.
And he has the height and strength compliment the Celtics switching defense.

I’ll give it to ole Gordy he finally returned to form in my eyes. He’s just hitting all the shots he’s supposed to be hitting really. I’m kind of glad he doesn’t start because he does offer a good change of pace when Kyrie isn’t on the floor and Terry is. As long as Gordy is matched up against 2nd units he should be able to outsmart them every time which is what we are seeing.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 08:52:05 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Connaughton, in particular, could not stay in front of Hayward at all. Didn't offer even token resistance. Every time Hayward sees him, he has to be thinking he can head for the rim and either score or dish for an assist when the help comes.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 10:18:31 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Always knew he could do it!

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 04:01:10 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
He's not going to score 20-25ppg on this team, not with the quality on it and given how unselfish he is. Some nights it will be his night to accumulate points, others it will be Jaylen, or Al, or Jayson, or Mook, or a combination of those. Some nights he will score single digits, it's just the nature of the depth of our team. But over the past couple of months he's played with a lot more composure and confidence. He's making good decisions with the ball and good things tend to happen when he gets the ball, he can drive to the paint, draw two players and find a cutter or the open man. And defensively his lateral speed has increased to the point where he can at least consistently stay in front of his man where earlier in the season he had a lot of trouble.

Physically he's not quite there yet but I think his confidence in himself is back, as is his teammates' confidence in him. They're passing the ball to him a lot more than they were early in the season.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 06:07:26 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Hayward is also extremely efficient, since he's currently the only 10+ PPG-scorer in the playoffs that has shooting splits of 50/40/90 (although Durant, Leonard and Curry are very close and on much higher volume).

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 06:19:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
Hubie Brown mentioned yesterday in the broadcast, but in a way having Hayward out there is like having another PG (or as we say, "point forward"). Even if he's not scoring or looking to score, he's a great facilitator and makes the right play on many occasions. That's another area where Hayward excels which I feel is underrated.

People look and focus at the scoring, such as Hayward's all-star seasons with him scoring 22-24 PPG, but he also has a high BBIQ and makes smart plays on the court often. He might not put up 15+ PPG often these playoffs but off the bench he's capable of giving you 10-12 PPG and can create plays.

He's also much more aggressive which is nice because then he can get an easy shot inside or kick out to someone who is open. We didn't see him this aggressive and drive to the hoop often in the regular season.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 06:24:07 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Hubie Brown mentioned yesterday in the broadcast, but in a way having Hayward out there is like having another PG (or as we say, "point forward"). Even if he's not scoring or looking to score, he's a great facilitator and makes the right play on many occasions. That's another area where Hayward excels which I feel is underrated.

People look and focus at the scoring, such as Hayward's all-star seasons with him scoring 22-24 PPG, but he also has a high BBIQ and makes smart plays on the court often. He might not put up 15+ PPG often these playoffs but off the bench he's capable of giving you 10-12 PPG and can create plays.

He's also much more aggressive which is nice because then he can get an easy shot inside or kick out to someone who is open. We didn't see him this aggressive and drive to the hoop often in the regular season.

For accuracy's sake, Gordon's lone All-Star season was a season he scored a career high of 21.9 pts. That's actually his only season scoring over 20 - all the more reason why people shouldn't expect him to be 23pt or 25pt a night guy now. I do think he'll settle in at 18-19pts per in the future, though.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 06:29:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!

For accuracy's sake, Gordon's lone All-Star season was a season he scored a career high of 21.9 pts. That's actually his only season scoring over 20 - all the more reason why people shouldn't expect him to be 23pt or 25pt a night guy now. I do think he'll settle in at 18-19pts per in the future, though.

Oh my bad I was thinking Kyrie's numbers there (22-24 PPG for KI usually) 

But Hayward did average 24 PPG in the Playoffs for the Jazz 2 years ago, so there's some truth to that  ;)

Either way, with how the team's constructed and with multiple guys being scoring threats, I don't think average PPG will matter too much with many guys averaging more than 14 PPG (and maybe 1 or 2 averaging 20+ a night). If Hayward can average 16-18 PPG starting next year (after a healthy offseason), that's perfectly fine.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 04:37:06 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Gordon gets another five day break on top of another solid game.Hopefully his game recovers exponentially but we might not even see it.It might be in areas of timing or position on defense .It might be a floater in the paint.A backdoor cut without a thought,it may even be his teammates that automatically make the right play.
His kick outs are more measured ,no longer as predictable or forced.They now are kick outs as a weapon.
His teammates believe he is back  which means timing, efficiency  and options increase.
Hitting Jaylen Brown on a cut -one example.
Not having to contort himself with a hurried kick because his confidence or ability to close denied him that option.

His ability now to play as a solid dependable part of the Celtics defensive attack.
How immeasurable is the trust factor by his teammates with its choreographed defense.How important to have the lateral to keep a player from turning the corner or the reaction time and movement giving weak side help.His ability to get over or under a screen,his ability to take a charge and his ability not to aggressively push off to gain space drawing an offensive foul..
It will be 5 days of detailed practice and all getting on same page.And the trust is back that was missing all season.
The dunk underneath with Lopez getting called for a foul shows that he is still not 100%100% or maybe it was just his average wingspan not his bounce.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:43:26 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 05:15:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Oh my bad I was thinking Kyrie's numbers there (22-24 PPG for KI usually) 

But Hayward did average 24 PPG in the Playoffs for the Jazz 2 years ago, so there's some truth to that  ;)

Either way, with how the team's constructed and with multiple guys being scoring threats, I don't think average PPG will matter too much with many guys averaging more than 14 PPG (and maybe 1 or 2 averaging 20+ a night). If Hayward can average 16-18 PPG starting next year (after a healthy offseason), that's perfectly fine.
Plus, over a 229 game stretch (playoffs excluded) he averaged 20.3PPG. I get that he literally only has one season over 20, but I think anywhere between 16-21 are reasonable expectations.

That's assuming he gets back to 35MPG or so, which I think he should be playing
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)