Author Topic: What we have, and what we should do.  (Read 360 times)

What we have, and what we should do.
« on: July 05, 2014, 09:24:44 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
So this is what we have in each position (not in order of depth)

Center - Faverani, Iverson, Anthony
PG - Smart, Rondo, Pressey
SG - Bradley, Young, Babb
PF - Bass, Sullinger, Olynyk
SF - Green, Wallace, Johnson

Free Agents: Kris Humphries (PF/C), Bayless (PG)

Obviously, we need a center, but another thought in my mind is that we probably need another shooting guard. The reason I say this is because I feel it is unlikely Babb will be sticking around with the Celtics (although I hope he does), and other than Babb, only Bradley and James Young remains at SG. Also, there is doubt about Pressey, so we probably need another guard. Here are what we could do at the SG and C position to bolster up the roster and become a playoff team.

SG - Target Lance Stephenson, Anthony Morrow, or Kent Bazemore. Lance Stephenson is a long shot but I would be shocked if the Celtics don't atleast inquire about him. Now, Kent Bazemore and Morrow are realistic shots, and the celtics have shown interest in both players, particularly Bazemore. Another possibility is re-signing Bayless, who can provide a spark off the bench at the SG position. My take: Go after Bazemore or Morrow and sign either for cheap on a 2-3 year pact.

C - Target Okafor or Jordan Hill. Or re-sign Humphries at center. Even if we re-sign him I still think Okafor/Hill could come for cheap to the Celtics. Still, bringing in a center lets Olynyk play all of his minutes at PF where he is comfortable. My take: we can pull off a Humphries re-signing (which I am a supporter of if at a reasonable contract around 5-6M a year in a 1-2 year pact), and Okafor or Hill, likely for cheap (both rebounders, good defenders, 10 points-10 rebound type players, valuable off the bench and potential starters). The celtics should go for Hill/Okafor AND Humphries, all likely for reasonable or cheap costs.

Also, we could re-sign Pierce for cheap as he is willing to come back to Boston. If we can get him for vet-minimum it would be a great signing, as Boston fans (including me) get their wish of retaining the truth, and it provides depth and a valuable asset off the bench for the Celtics at the forward position. Also, his veteran presence could help the rookies develop further and only get better.

These moves or potential moves could help us become a playoff team this year and provide much needed depth for the roster at each position. We are set at SF, PG (unless Pressey is released, though maybe Bradley could take over at PG), and PF, we need some help for C and SG, which we can get this FA.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller