Author Topic: What we learned after one game  (Read 8777 times)

Re: What we learned after one game
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2012, 11:12:49 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
wade still is allowed to lead with his knee up....he hooks....pushes and never gets called. i swear...he is dirty

Im glad Rondo gave him a little extra something there at the end. Wade gets away with too much and needs to get what he deserves someday.

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2012, 11:13:38 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Miami is still by far the best team in the NBA and should be a big favorite to win it all. We really could be watching a dynasty in the making.

Only one game, but Jeff Green is still the Jeff Green I did not like when the Celtics acquired him.

Doc's small ball lineup was moronic and if Barbosa did not go off, they would have lost by a lot more.

This was a 20-plus point blowout if Lebron plays the whole game.

This is the worst defense I have seen since KG got here and it needs to improve 100 percent if this team is going to contend.

Sullinger is not ready for prime time.

Jason Terry looks like he got slow and was really weak on defense.

Rondo still needs to grow up.

Re: only 1 game but already disappointed at a few players
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2012, 11:14:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
- Not sure what happened with Darko, either he is still injured or just didn't get a shot tonight.
Fairly simple: can't guard Bosh, can't guard Haslem, isn't skilled enough to create an offensive mismatch. Add a gimpy wrist and you get an easy DNP - CD.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2012, 11:16:23 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
We learned that this team isn't going to beat Miami by trying to play Miami's game.  We need to stay big to protect the rim.  As it was, this was a layup drill.

Yeah, Sullinger only played 8 minutes and never got the ball in the post. He didn't look like he was dying to get the ball in the post, but Sully's NBA experience will be the biggest difference the next time these teams play.

Also, Melo's rangy style of defense will be very useful against the Heat, whenever he becomes an overall non-liability. Melo was born to defend against the Heat.

I would agree, trying to beat Mia at their own game is a fools errand.  The best way to beat Mia is to go big.  Gotta take them out of their comfort zone.

I'm not sold we have the bigs (sans KG) on the roster to do it.

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2012, 11:17:52 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
I would agree, trying to beat Mia at their own game is a fools errand.  The best way to beat Mia is to go big.  Gotta take them out of their comfort zone.

Melo developing might be our only hope against Heat, scary thought.

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2012, 11:18:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
We learned that this team isn't going to beat Miami by trying to play Miami's game.  We need to stay big to protect the rim.  As it was, this was a layup drill.

Yeah, Sullinger only played 8 minutes and never got the ball in the post. He didn't look like he was dying to get the ball in the post, but Sully's NBA experience will be the biggest difference the next time these teams play.

Also, Melo's rangy style of defense will be very useful against the Heat, whenever he becomes an overall non-liability. Melo was born to defend against the Heat.

I still don't think we have enough quality size to beat Miami in a power game.

Size, sure ... but quality size? I don't think so.

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
What I learned from this game?

Going small ball against Miami's small ball is a bad idea. I wish Doc would go big if Miami, or any team goes small on us. While I understand that they will have an advantage in speed, we can dictate the pace by going half court and grinding down low and crashing the boards. We're not that fast to counter any small ball.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2012, 11:22:57 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I think its way too early to start making predictions and getting all bent out of shape about our defense/Green/Terry.

its game 1 of 82 and there are alot of new pieces that need to gel..I think we are going to look alot different in a month or so

Our offense still scored 100+ on a good miami defense...but you CANT give up 30+ points a quarter and expect to win...but with time, I think our defense will improve, especially when Bradley comes back

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2012, 11:23:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Going small ball against Miami's small ball is a bad idea. I wish Doc would go big if Miami, or any team goes small on us. While I understand that they will have an advantage in speed, we can dictate the pace by going half court and grinding down low and crashing the boards. We're not that fast to counter any small ball.
Yeah... no. You're not going to beat Miami by establishing Darko and Sullinger. Or any other big man not named Kevin Garnett for that matter.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2012, 11:25:55 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Yeah... no. You're not going to beat Miami by establishing Darko and Sullinger. Or any other big man not named Kevin Garnett for that matter.

Wilcox would have been nice tonight

« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2012, 11:26:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Funny tidbit: Ray Allen didn't find any difference between Boston and Miami. Took less money to play on pretty much the same team, makes perfect sense, no?

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2012, 11:26:18 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Miami is still by far the best team in the NBA and should be a big favorite to win it all. We really could be watching a dynasty in the making.

This is the worst defense I have seen since KG got here and it needs to improve 100 percent if this team is going to contend.

This is the worst defense I've seen since the beginning of last season.  We were terrible defensively for the first couple of weeks to start last year's regular season.  I feel confident that by season's end this team will be playing the kind of D that we've grown accustomed to seeing them play. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2012, 11:27:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Wilcox would have been nice tonight
Wilcox is not a low-post player, and offensively is a garbage guy. Defensively he gives you pretty much the same look as playing Bass at C, since he doesn't block shots. May be rebounding a bit better (this wasn't an issue, though), and may be making it marginally more difficult for Bosh to shoot over him. All in all though, I don't think it's a radical difference.

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2012, 11:28:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm not feeling negative about this game at all.  I don't think signing a bunch of average shooting guards somehow makes you a team capable of beating LeBron james.  Nothing about this shocks me... we got a little better.. they got a little better.  Our biggest problem remains our lack of size next to KG.

Good news is:  We got assets, baby.  Tons of assets.  Even Barbosa is showing game.  We're loaded with lots of average guards if someone wants them.  Come mid-season, hopefully we can flip those assets for a Big Al or a Josh Smith.  Not worried at all... we got the most out of our team tonight.  We aren't as good as Miami.  Newsflash.  It's been that way since Bron joined the Heat.

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2012, 11:28:49 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
The Celtics still need to find a consistent low post threat.

The team defense needs work and time.

The team either has to play a lot better or start looking to make changes.

You're mentioning changes and the season is 48 minutes deep lol

Yes. 

If this team is not capable playing better against Miami and this team wants to compete for a title, change might have to take place.

Of course one game can not tell you that.

I would hope that we can play better facing them 81+ games from now..

I think theres alot of over-reacting about one game...its the first "real" nba game these guys have played together.