Author Topic: What we really did wrong last year  (Read 8359 times)

Re: What we really did wrong last year
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 08:40:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
how anyone could have followed this team thru this season and not understand how destructive the Perk trade was has to be blind - the drop-off in performance was directly correlated with the trade.

we keep Perk & Co., replace Marquis with a solid free agent and we keep home court in the East. we then are able to let Miami and Chicago slug it out to play us in the ECF - all off the sudden, that scenario looks much more promising.

btw, it was a surprise to me, but we missed Tony Allen this year and he sure would have been another very tough defensive body to throw at Miami. i also believe Perk wouldn't have allowed Miami to attack the basket with impunity either.

Perk, Shaq, JO, Daniels, West and Wafer all had injuries at roughly the same time. We weren't keeping home court.

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 09:05:20 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
didnt play the bench

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 10:30:24 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Perk is not the messiah we needed. If you want proof of that cast your eyes on tbe thunder playoff run. He was horrid and obviously still underdone.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 10:37:41 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

Perk is not the messiah we needed. If you want proof of that cast your eyes on tbe thunder playoff run. He was horrid and obviously still underdone.

perk was not a solid scorer

perk was d in the key..

when he left we lost that and teams did what they want with us

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 10:48:46 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
I think people tend to over-rate perkins...lest we forget he only played 12games for the Celtics in 2010-11..our record was got primarily without him...and injured/slow perk wouldnt have helped us...people on this site want to blame the GM's/owners for giving players bad contracts, but then blame Ainge for trying to get something back rather than Overpay someone who isnt worth that sort of $$

2 things did us in, in the playoffs:

1. Injuries..Rondo, the quaterback of our offense, was injured. this meant our big 3 had to create their own offense. and they just dont have it in them anymore....add to the fact that Doc wouldnt play kristic/shaq was injured/bbd layed an egg...our only big was JO to alter shots in the middle

2. Lebron played out of this world...lebrons a good player, but hes not AS good as he was against chicago/Boston...despite the series being 5-1, 3/4 losses were closer than they appeared. but when the guys hitting contested fadeaway 3's in your face. you are not going to win....it was the same against chicago...the law of averages eventually got to him against mavs.

If we can find a reliable big to grab rebounds and block up the middle behind JO (Kwame mb), keep delonte/jeff green and somehow manage to be healthy for the playoffs...we have a pretty good shot at making it to the finals, and IMO its unlikely Lebron can repeat his rediculous performance thathe did.

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2011, 01:32:18 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I still think had Shaq and Rondo been healthy, nobody beats us. But I wear my green glasses 365 days a year, rain or sunshine, and even when I'm sleeping.

But maybe you can fault DA for relying on Shaq and JO too much.

People got on JO from training camp and he came through when it mattered, so DA was right on that one. But who knows what story he got from the training staff/Shaq himself. Whatever the case may be, I don't believe we lost because we didn't have enough talent. We lost because we weren't healthy enough. I saw nothing in Perk that made me think he was completely healthy, at all.

Ugh it's so frustrating that KG wasn't there in 2009, then Perk goes down a win shy of the championship in 2010, and Shaq never returns and Rondo breaks his arm this year.

Errrrrr....
CELTICS 2024