Author Topic: The official “Stop launching those threes and work it in the post, Sheed” thread  (Read 6573 times)

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Fact:
In the offseason, Danny Ainge dumped Leon Powe and gave a three-year, 18 million contract to Rasheed Wallace, a 35-year old head case who missed 117 of his 164 attempted threes (34 games).

Suggestion:
We can use this thread every time we want to express our disgust for every annoying technical or “1-7 3PM-A” game by Rasheed.

It’s gonna be a long season…
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 10:12:48 AM by Global Celtic »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Thank you. I needed a dedicated place to vent on this issue.

Sheed. Just stop. Just say no. Just stop already. Just stop. Stop it. Stop it now. Since you can't win a game of horse, just try to win a game of basketball

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
These bad nights from Sheed are frustrating but it had not happened in a long time before the Atlanta game.

Although I would love to see Sheed playing more in the post, where he looks unstoppable, I'm fine with him playing on the perimeter during the regular season since it minimizes the risks of getting injured.

Also, I know that KG makes about 70% of his jumpshots so you can argue that we are fine with him playing far away from the basket, but still, I never hear a complaint about KG NEVER playing in the post this season. Seriously, except for one play on opening night against the Cavs, KG didn't even attempt his usual post-up move near the basket. I'm surprised nobody blamed him since he is paid 16 millions this season to shoot jumpshots. :P

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
These bad nights from Sheed are frustrating but it had not happened in a long time before the Atlanta game.

Although I would love to see Sheed playing more in the post, where he looks unstoppable, I'm fine with him playing on the perimeter during the regular season since it minimizes the risks of getting injured.

Also, I know that KG makes about 70% of his jumpshots so you can argue that we are fine with him playing far away from the basket, but still, I never hear a complaint about KG NEVER playing in the post this season. Seriously, except for one play on opening night against the Cavs, KG didn't even attempt his usual post-up move near the basket. I'm surprised nobody blamed him since he is paid 16 millions this season to shoot jumpshots. :P

For how long have you been watching the NBA? KG has never played from the blocks, that was never his game and he doesn't have the attributes to play there.

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald

For how long have you been watching the NBA? KG has never played from the blocks, that was never his game and he doesn't have the attributes to play there.

KG has done this move during his entire career. Not at the rate his fans would like him to use it but still a lot more than he does this year. I'm not talking about post-up like Sheed's, but the characteristic KG's play near the basket is when he makes a few fakes on the left and right, then fades aways a little bit and shoots the ball over his defender's head.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think two big reasons why Sheed isn't posting more are:

- the offense tends to focus on big men shooting from distance as a primary weapon.  That's why Baby was shooting all those jump shots, and that's where the guy Sheed's starting for tends to shoot.  No other big takes 3s, but Sheed does have that range.

- more importantly, Sheed is out of shape and gets fatigued, especially with starter's minutes.  That's no excuse when he returns to bench play though.

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

KG has done this move during his entire career. Not at the rate his fans would like him to use it but still a lot more than he does this year. I'm not talking about post-up like Sheed's, but the characteristic KG's play near the basket is when he makes a few fakes on the left and right, then fades aways a little bit and shoots the ball over his defender's head.

You have to make up your mind. Either you're talking about posting up or not.

KG has always been a face-up big. He can throw a dream-shake or a turnaround fadeway from the short elbow here and there especially when matched up with smaller players, and he still does, but he played at the 3 from a sizeable part of his career - he lacks the lower body strength to play differently. As Red would say, you ask the players to do what they can do, not what they can't do. With Sheed it's always been a mental/shot-selection issue, not a skill-set one. Not that it constitutes a surprise - he's been chucking 3s at an alarming rate for his last years in Detroit and he's just carrying it on here. 

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

- the offense tends to focus on big men shooting from distance as a primary weapon.  That's why Baby was shooting all those jump shots, and that's where the guy Sheed's starting for tends to shoot.  No other big takes 3s, but Sheed does have that range.

- more importantly, Sheed is out of shape and gets fatigued, especially with starter's minutes.  That's no excuse when he returns to bench play though.
maybe someone should start a "get in shape, Sheed" thread to go along with this one.  There is no excuse to be out of shape unless a player is coming back from an injury.  Very unprofessional.

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
In a way I can compare Sheed to Antoine Walker when he was here. Antoine could knock down a couple threes, but he was much more effective around the basket. I'm not a coach and I can see that. Sheed hangs around the arc way too much. It's nice to have him as a potential three-point threat, but he needs to set up camp on the block and make that a priority. Often times Perk is the only guy crashing the boards too.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

maybe someone should start a "get in shape, Sheed" thread to go along with this one.  There is no excuse to be out of shape unless a player is coming back from an injury.  Very unprofessional.
I think his terrible conditioning is what's really hurting his play. His rebounding decline and poor shooting all can't be helped by the extra weight for his legs to deal with.

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald

You have to make up your mind. Either you're talking about posting up or not.

KG has always been a face-up big. He can throw a dream-shake or a turnaround fadeway from the short elbow here and there especially when matched up with smaller players, and he still does, but he played at the 3 from a sizeable part of his career - he lacks the lower body strength to play differently. As Red would say, you ask the players to do what they can do, not what they can't do. With Sheed it's always been a mental/shot-selection issue, not a skill-set one. Not that it constitutes a surprise - he's been chucking 3s at an alarming rate for his last years in Detroit and he's just carrying it on here. 

I did a wrong choice of words to describe KG's moves near the basket, I was indeed referring to the dream shake and the turnaround fadeaway, which are his closest one-on-one plays near the basket, and I have not seen him do it this year.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

I think his terrible conditioning is what's really hurting his play. His rebounding decline and poor shooting all can't be helped by the extra weight for his legs to deal with.
I agree, and he hasn't been in shape in a few years.  Now tell me, how can the ultimate team player be a guy who doesn't even get himself in shape?  Seems like basic stuff to me- be in shape, play hard, etc.

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
No.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I agree, and he hasn't been in shape in a few years.  Now tell me, how can the ultimate team player be a guy who doesn't even get himself in shape?  Seems like basic stuff to me- be in shape, play hard, etc.
I don't think I've ever called him the ultimate team player. I think he's a great player to have on your team because he's unselfish and understands basketball.

He's got his warts, but so do most players. With Rasheed its the referees and a few too many 3s.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

I don't think I've ever called him the ultimate team player. I think he's a great player to have on your team because he's unselfish and understands basketball.

He's got his warts, but so do most players. With Rasheed its the referees and a few too many 3s.
Not you in particular, but some other guys say that quite a bit.