Author Topic: The official support Ray Allen thread..  (Read 20282 times)

Re: The official support Ray Allen thread..
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 11:55:03 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Wally "BriteSmile" Szczerbiak on display again for a full seven game series should be the only reminder anybody needs. We wouldn't have seen Allen laughing all the way back to the locker room had the Celtics lost last night.

I pretty much agree with Doc's post-game assessment:

"I told Ray before the game, 'What happens if you don't take another shot in the entire playoffs and we win the world championship because they're going to double you? You're so valuable if that's what they're going to do because it's going to open the floor for everybody else'... I thought Ray had no problem with it. He's going to be better."

But only so far as we're not letting Rivers off the hook for refusing to draw up a single new play for Allen mid-series, that Game 6, "He's getting good looks. He'll make some and start getting it going and the ball will tend to find him..." spiel. Sure; let's leave it up to the basketball.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 12:09:00 PM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 12:04:02 PM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
We need offense out of Ray Allen to win a Championship..it is'nt going to work any other way. If Ray can't score we need something out of House , Davis, Powe or Brown..

You can't score 75 to 85 points and expect to win anything..You have to play great D and score 90 to 100 points, which likely means Allen has to get you some points
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 12:12:31 PM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
Ray's offense will not appear magically if we continue running Ray through the same stuff.  Cavs just built on how Detroit defended Ray in the regular season, except Detroit didn't need to double him coming off baseline screens--they had Rip, who along with Bowen, does the best man-to-man cover I've seen on Ray. 

It's important we make Rip work at the defensive end.  He's their top scorer in these playoffs.  We did a good job containing Billups in the regular season.  We didn't do well with Rip.

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 12:19:26 PM »

Offline AllabouttheGREEN

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 66
I love Ray's game in every way- when he is playing his game. He seems to have lost his confidence in the last few games, and given his history, that is surprising. My speculation is that Ray is injured and won't admit it because he wants to be part of this run. I can't say I blame him, and I hope "Doc" would make that diagnose and instead of prescribing extended playing time- prescribe some additional rest. I have no statistics to back this up, but it seems that each time Ray was rested (beginning of the Season and then when he returned after being out a few games for injury) he shot the ball better- and to me, that indicates an age related overuse injury- perhaps his ankles again. So why does he frequently play more minutes than KG and Paul? Why is he placed in a position to be the main scoring option with the second unit in Doc's rotation (KG and Paul out at the same time)? I would think Paul should play with the second unit instead of Ray, since Paul is better at creating his own shot- particularly with how Ray is playing now. Ray's movement on the floor looks tired and his running looks like he is protecting injured feet. When he handles the ball now, he isn't able to shake his man and he runs too much time off the shot clock- resulting in bad shot attempts by his teammates or his own forced bad attempts. I think Doc has designed his rotation to give Ray the best chance of increasing his scoring statistics- since among Ray, Paul and KG he seems to be in more often without one of the other 2. Problem is, Ray needs the help now. If Ray is hurting or if he is just playing poorly- or if Chauncey is killing Rondo- then Doc needs to make the adjustment and may need to insert the other Allen. I just hope Doc hasn't killed Tony's confidence by not playing him. Again, I love Ray's game- but I keep hollering at Doc through my TV to give Ray some rest. It falls on my kids’ ears, but it makes me feel better!  
Excellent post, I couldn't agree more.  Allen has been overplayed all year, and having just come off of surgery, the onus is partly on Doc for Ray's regression IMO.  Doc, absolutely struggles w/ fixing what is "broken", I'm convinced it's either some form of hubris in his offensive system or even downright laziness at not adjusting after each and every playoff game. 

"If you don't want to know much about basketball, then watch Gary and Greg on FSN..."

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 01:11:19 PM »

Offline VINandTonic42

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I can'te come up with any answers for Ray

His shooting has been aweful

I have NO confidence in him

It may sound crazy, but Eddie House should start at SG, try bringing Ray off the bench, until he gets it going

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 01:31:25 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
my mistake...i misread the title.  i thought this was "the official ray allen life support thread."  :)

Oh, I thought this was to support him by donating money, because it doesn't look like he should be earning an NBA paycheck for much longer.

Ba-Zing!

Kidding...I do support Ray Allen.  I still think that when they're moving the ball and moving without the ball the way we know they can he's the perfect player beside PP and KG.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 01:39:32 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Ray will be fine .... he's been through these slumps on multiple occasions, and always digs his way out. Hate to over-simplify in any way, but that's what it comes down to. Only Ray can get Ray out of it, and I have faith that he'll be doing so very soon. I think he may feel a bit overwhelmed against these younger teams, and that he'll feel more equal to the task with the Pistons, as he's been playing against these same guys for a number of years. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back in a "groove" tomorrow night.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 01:43:49 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Ray will be fine .... he's been through these slumps on multiple occasions, and always digs his way out. Hate to over-simplify in any way, but that's what it comes down to. Only Ray can get Ray out of it, and I have faith that he'll be doing so very soon. I think he may feel a bit overwhelmed against these younger teams, and that he'll feel more equal to the task with the Pistons, as he's been playing against these same guys for a number of years. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back in a "groove" tomorrow night.

I agree - plus I think the UConn rivalry with Rip will fire him up a bit.

Now, the Celtics can smell a finals berth...they will come out with fire.

Celtics in 5 - Ray Allen comes out of hibernation.  I can't wait.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 01:50:27 PM »

Offline VINandTonic42

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4

[/quote]

I love your optimism, but Im not sure how you could see the c's taking this in less than 7, MAYBE 6 Games

Detroit is rested, playing extremely well, and capable of winning on the road

that, coupled with our road woes...

If we win, it's a dog-fight

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 02:06:26 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I love your optimism, but Im not sure how you could see the c's taking this in less than 7, MAYBE 6 Games

Detroit is rested, playing extremely well, and capable of winning on the road

that, coupled with our road woes...

If we win, it's a dog-fight

I dunno ... for whatever reasons, the Celts seem to have an easier time with the better teams, at least in the regular season. I'll agree that on the surface, it would seem obvious that this may be an extremely tough series, but I also think they may have finally gotten their wake-up call, that Pierce will start leading more consistently, and that the "tougher team, better outcome" factor may play into it. You just never know, and can't really assess the match-up by appearances ... these C's have surprised us all year long, and I think may have a few surprises left!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:14:07 PM by Bahku »

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
i trust ray to know that this is crunch time and he really needs to find himself...find the reason why his game has been off...

i like ray but now is the time.

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 02:12:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Totally agree.  Ray's just got to keep taking shots and they'll start falling.  The double-edged sword of his slump is that he's not hardly taking any shots.
Yup

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 02:17:46 PM »

Offline NicaraguanFan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
Ray deserves all our support.  He is a classy guy

NF.
#18 is coming...

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 02:18:34 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Totally agree.  Ray's just got to keep taking shots and they'll start falling.  The double-edged sword of his slump is that he's not hardly taking any shots.

Yup ... I agree, Redz. I think it will just take one, though, and like dominoes, they'll start falling, and with each one, Ray will feel more secure about taking the next.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 02:19:24 PM »

Offline afflatus

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 18
Every win is a team effort. In the playoffs, certainly a total team effort. From practice to the actual game. The measurement of success for a team is winning. The Celtics won. This means Ray Allen won. I am sure Lebron would love to switch places with Ray Allen right now. I know there is no better critic to Ray Allen but Ray Allen himself. We believe in you bud. You will pull through when we need you. All of us know this.