Author Topic: Does Smart have a chance at DPOY?  (Read 4844 times)

Does Smart have a chance at DPOY?
« on: November 15, 2019, 08:55:39 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
He comes off the bench, starting only when there’s injury. He’s a guard. The deck is stacked against him. Still, he’s a beast on D. I would really love it if he won DPOY. What are the chances he gets recognition?

It’s also nice that he’s finally getting some media attention: https://youtu.be/SaYBaYWTrh8

- LilRip

Re: Does Smart have a chance at DPOY?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 08:59:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Yes absolutely. He's breaking out and defending better than ever. Look what he did to porzingis for example.. Its embarrassing

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 09:40:27 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Depends on what voters are looking for. If they want pure defensive value he doesn't have a chance at winning DPOY due to bigs having an inherent advantage on defense. But if they're looking for the best outlier in terms of defensive impact, Smart has a shot due to his surprising versatility for a guard.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 09:47:54 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
If we get top 3 defense by the end of the season and we as a team have an excellent record, I can see him catching the attention of voters . He is already getting some oublicity by guarding bigs and the celtics having an excellent start.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 09:58:43 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I don't know who judges this or how they judge it but it seems that every game Marcus has an impact on defense -- sometimes a game-changing impact.  I don't watch anywhere near enough non-Celtics NBA to judge Smart compared to anyone else.  I just think he is absolutely brilliant on defense - one of the most fascinating, captivating players I've ever seen on defense.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 10:02:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Smart has a lot of Alvin Robertson in him and Robertson was able to win a DPOY. So, sure, why not?!?!?!

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 10:03:30 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I don't know who judges this or how they judge it but it seems that every game Marcus has an impact on defense -- sometimes a game-changing impact.  I don't watch anywhere near enough non-Celtics NBA to judge Smart compared to anyone else.  I just think he is absolutely brilliant on defense - one of the most fascinating, captivating players I've ever seen on defense.

It's the same media voters as MVP and all the other major awards, so it's safe to say that they will NOT be watching every game. The popular narrative will have more of an effect
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 10:15:09 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
It depends largely on where the Celtics rank defensively at the end of the year, the award typically goes to a player on a top ranked defense. Here are the team defense ranking of the guy who has won it the last twelve years.

Garnett (1)
Howard (1)
Howard (3)
Howard (3)
Chandler (5)
Gasol (2)
Noah (2)
Leonard (2)
Leonard (1)
Draymond (2)
Gobert (1)
Gobert (2)

Nobody outside of the top 5 won it, and only one person outside of the top three and I think even if the C's defense is better than most thought it would be a top 3 defense is a tough ask. Also notice nobody shorter than Kawhi Leonard has won it in that time, largely because big man defense gets a lot more attention but also because it is far more valuable than even the super versatile defense Smart provides. In other words it's not likely.

BUT, if the Celtics defense is top 5 then the narrative that the C's defense is soooo much better than everybody thought it would be could drive votes for our best defensive player Marcus Smart.

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 10:28:51 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Will be tough as long as Kawhi's around. Smart's probably the best guard in the league. Actually, I'm in. Can you win 6th man and DPOY?
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 12:07:47 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Just wanted to get an update on this from the defensive wonks around here. Is he still a shot? Or does Kawhi have it locked up already (or Gobert)...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 12:12:06 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
It depends largely on where the Celtics rank defensively at the end of the year, the award typically goes to a player on a top ranked defense. Here are the team defense ranking of the guy who has won it the last twelve years.

Garnett (1)
Howard (1)
Howard (3)
Howard (3)
Chandler (5)
Gasol (2)
Noah (2)
Leonard (2)
Leonard (1)
Draymond (2)
Gobert (1)
Gobert (2)

Nobody outside of the top 5 won it, and only one person outside of the top three and I think even if the C's defense is better than most thought it would be a top 3 defense is a tough ask. Also notice nobody shorter than Kawhi Leonard has won it in that time, largely because big man defense gets a lot more attention but also because it is far more valuable than even the super versatile defense Smart provides. In other words it's not likely.

BUT, if the Celtics defense is top 5 then the narrative that the C's defense is soooo much better than everybody thought it would be could drive votes for our best defensive player Marcus Smart.

Are these team defense numbers adjusted for pace?

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 12:57:49 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Yes he does....or should. 
Funny the same thing popped into my head after watching the Memphis game tonight.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 01:06:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think he should, but AD, Giannis, Kawhi & Gobert seem to have an annoying grip on the award.

However, Smart got more recognition last year (defensive team) so maybe there’s a chance
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 01:16:43 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
I think he should, but AD, Giannis, Kawhi & Gobert seem to have an annoying grip on the award.

However, Smart got more recognition last year (defensive team) so maybe there’s a chance

Maybe he has missed too many games already with that eye injury...

His metrics don't really pop though, D win shares, Steal %, per 36 stats.. all pretty middling.

Which of course we all know is stupid because "stats do not matter" (I say that non-sarcastically)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:22:58 AM by trickybilly »

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 01:36:40 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think Smart has a lot of Alvin Robertson in him and Robertson was able to win a DPOY. So, sure, why not?!?!?!

He reminds me of these two as well as AR.

Marcus Smart indeed gets my vote for DPOY.