Poll

Given what each would cost, and their respective ages/contracts, who would you want?

Andre Drummond
8 (8.3%)
Myles Turner
20 (20.8%)
Clint Capela
4 (4.2%)
Marc Gasol
4 (4.2%)
Hassan Whiteside
1 (1%)
Jusuf Nurkic
6 (6.3%)
Cody Zeller
4 (4.2%)
Derrick Favors
6 (6.3%)
Steven Adams
11 (11.5%)
A Young Guy
0 (0%)
Dwayne Dedmon
5 (5.2%)
Ehhh, none  are worth what it would cost
27 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Big Man Options  (Read 70919 times)

Re: Big Man Options
« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2019, 12:56:34 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7244847

realgm trade checker also allows Brown to be traded.

RealGM is wrong, quite simply.  I’ve explained this rule to you before, linked to the authority that is Larry Koon, and you ignored it.  Brown can’t be traded for 180 days after signing his extensions, which takes us past the trade deadline and even the end of the regular season.
To prove this...from NBA.com

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nba.com/amp/league/trade-deadline-explained

EXTENSION-AND-TRADES

• Max Length: 3 years

(including year(s) remaining in the original term)

• Max First-Year Salary: 105% of the salary in the last year of the original term.

• Max Annual Increase: 5% of the salary in the first year of the extended term.

If a player signs a contract extension for a longer period, a higher amount, or higher annual increases than would be permitted for an extension-and-trade, then the team is prohibited from trading the player for a period of six months following the date of the extension.

Facts are just in the way at this point! ;D

ESPN and RealGM are popular brands in sports.

So I don't think they would be wrong because they would lose credibility.

Both those companies are making millions of dollars from the stuff they throw at sports fans.

« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2019, 12:57:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
#91 from Coon's Salary Cap FAQ

For example, if a player on the last year of his rookie scale contract earns $5 million in 2018-19, and his contract is extended for four seasons starting at $10 million, with 5% raises, then his salary in each season will be:

Season   Salary
2018-19   $5,000,000
2019-20   $10,000,000
2020-21   $10,500,000
2021-22   $11,000,000
2022-23   $11,500,000
If this player is traded during the 2018-19 season, then his outgoing salary from the sending team's perspective is his actual salary -- $5 million. But the player's incoming salary from the receiving team's perspective is $9.6 million -- the average of all five seasons. Such a player would be very difficult to trade -- a legal trade can only be accomplished if both teams add additional salary to the transaction, or if they include a third team that is able to absorb excess salary.

You understand that what you posted doesn’t talk about when a player can be traded, right?  It only talks about how to match salaries in the event a player who signed a rookie extension is traded.  So, for example, Jamal Murray signed his extension in July, and could thus be traded in January, 6 months later.  If that happened, the rules you quote would apply to how his salary would be counted.

Those rules would apply to Jaylen, too, if he were traded in June, after the season is over.  You’re not wrong about how the salary calculation is performed (I cited those rules myself when I explained this to you the first time).  But you are wrong about when he can be traded.  I quoted the CBA for you.  Please just listen and stop posting Jaylen trades until the offseason.

« Reply #167 on: November 08, 2019, 01:02:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

For example, if a player on the last year of his rookie scale contract earns $5 million in 2018-19, and his contract is extended for four seasons starting at $10 million, with 5% raises, then his salary in each season will be:

Season   Salary
2018-19   $5,000,000
2019-20   $10,000,000
2020-21   $10,500,000
2021-22   $11,000,000
2022-23   $11,500,000
If this player is traded during the 2018-19 season, then his outgoing salary from the sending team's perspective is his actual salary -- $5 million. But the player's incoming salary from the receiving team's perspective is $9.6 million -- the average of all five seasons. Such a player would be very difficult to trade -- a legal trade can only be accomplished if both teams add additional salary to the transaction, or if they include a third team that is able to absorb excess salary.
I already quoted from Coon, question 101 about when players can not be traded. These override the Poison Pill Provision. A trade with a PPP can only take place after waiting the 6 months.

If Brown signed his extension in early July then in January he could have been traded using Poison Pill Provision rules, but he signed his extension in October which means he can't be traded until after the trade deadline or until the Celtics season ends. If the C's don't make the playoffs, then between mid April(season's end) and July 1st, Brown could be traded using PPP rules.

« Reply #168 on: November 08, 2019, 01:03:25 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Season   Salary
2018-19   $5,000,000
2019-20   $10,000,000
2020-21   $10,500,000
2021-22   $11,000,000
2022-23   $11,500,000

You understand that what you posted doesn’t talk about when a player can be traded, right?  It only talks about how to match salaries in the event a player who signed a rookie extension is traded.  So, for example, Jamal Murray signed his extension in July, and could thus be traded in January, 6 months later.  If that happened, the rules you quote would apply to how his salary would be counted.

Those rules would apply to Jaylen, too, if he were traded in June, after the season is over.  You’re not wrong about how the salary calculation is performed (I cited those rules myself when I explained this to you the first time).  But you are wrong about when he can be traded.  I quoted the CBA for you.  Please just listen and stop posting Jaylen trades until the offseason.

I'm not making any Jaylen trade proposals right now!

I already stated in this thread that I don't believe Jaylen's going anywhere after he got that big extension.

It's very clear that the Celts want him long term.

But what I'm saying is I can't believe you or any other poster here because I prefer to believe ESPN and RealGM regarding the matter of PPPs.

ESPN and RealGM would lose credibility if they don't get it right.

So you can't blame me if I don't believe your interpretation of the cap rules.

« Reply #169 on: November 08, 2019, 01:05:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Season   Salary
2018-19   $5,000,000
2019-20   $10,000,000
2020-21   $10,500,000
2021-22   $11,000,000
2022-23   $11,500,000

Since Murray signed the Designated Rookie Extension, isn't he ineligible to be traded for a year?

« Reply #170 on: November 08, 2019, 01:06:16 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Season   Salary
2018-19   $5,000,000
2019-20   $10,000,000
2020-21   $10,500,000
2021-22   $11,000,000
2022-23   $11,500,000

To be fair  to the OP there has been confusing reporting on this, several people/sites have mentioned that Jaylen being traded would be subject to the PP provision without mentioning the 6 month rule. Others have mentioned the six month rule but not the PP provision. I wasn't entirely sure if the six month rule applied to guys coming off their rookie deal or not. Thanks for clearing this up.

« Reply #171 on: November 08, 2019, 01:06:29 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Season   Salary
2018-19   $5,000,000
2019-20   $10,000,000
2020-21   $10,500,000
2021-22   $11,000,000
2022-23   $11,500,000
I already quoted from Coon, question 101 about when players can not be traded. These override the Poison Pill Provision. A trade with a PPP can only take place after waiting the 6 months.

If Brown signed his extension in early July then in January he could have been traded using Poison Pill Provision rules, but he signed his extension in October which means he can't be traded until after the trade deadline or until the Celtics season ends. If the C's don't make the playoffs, then between mid April(season's end) and July 1st, Brown could be traded using PPP rules.

The ESPN trade machine will tell you if the player can't be traded or when the player can be traded.

Right now you can trade Jaylen or Sabonis in the ESPN trade machine.
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yxwaumad

You have to understand that ESPN and RealGM are in the business of sports.
They do that for a living.
So in this case I would prefer to believe the professionals.

« Reply #172 on: November 08, 2019, 01:07:04 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Season   Salary
2018-19   $5,000,000
2019-20   $10,000,000
2020-21   $10,500,000
2021-22   $11,000,000
2022-23   $11,500,000

Some people are just too [dang] hardheaded. Let's look at the logic here, RealGM and ESPN cannot be wrong because they will lose credibility, but apparently NBA.COM can.

We all know that the trade checker isn't 100% accurate.

« Reply #173 on: November 08, 2019, 01:07:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Season   Salary
2018-19   $5,000,000
2019-20   $10,000,000
2020-21   $10,500,000
2021-22   $11,000,000
2022-23   $11,500,000

I already stated in this thread that I don't believe Jaylen's going anywhere after he got that big extension.

But what I'm saying is I can't believe you or any other poster here because I prefer to believe ESPN and RealGM regarding the matter of PPPs.

ESPN and RealGM are wrong. Believe their mistakes all you want, they are wrong. What I attached directly from the NBA.com website proves that.

« Reply #174 on: November 08, 2019, 01:10:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Season   Salary
2018-19   $5,000,000
2019-20   $10,000,000
2020-21   $10,500,000
2021-22   $11,000,000
2022-23   $11,500,000

Since Murray signed the Designated Rookie Extension, isn't he ineligible to be traded for a year?

99% sure that the one-year restriction only applies to designated veterans, not designated rookies.  See the language from the CBA above, and Larry Coon only calls out the DVs also.

« Reply #175 on: November 08, 2019, 01:10:10 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Season   Salary
2018-19   $5,000,000
2019-20   $10,000,000
2020-21   $10,500,000
2021-22   $11,000,000
2022-23   $11,500,000

Some people are just too [dang] hardheaded. Let's look at the logic here, RealGM and ESPN cannot be wrong because they will lose credibility, but apparently NBA.COM can.

We all know that the trade checker isn't 100% accurate.

That nba.com article that nick posted was about extend and trade.
It didn't say anything about the PPPs that according to other articles has a different set of rules.

You can check nick's nba.com article again.

What you will see is extend and trade, what I'm referring to is poison pill provision.
There's a big difference!

« Reply #176 on: November 08, 2019, 01:11:08 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Season   Salary
2018-19   $5,000,000
2019-20   $10,000,000
2020-21   $10,500,000
2021-22   $11,000,000
2022-23   $11,500,000

ESPN and RealGM are wrong. Believe their mistakes all you want, they are wrong. What I attached directly from the NBA.com website proves that.

What you attached is extend and trade.

It says nothing about overriding the PPP.

« Reply #177 on: November 08, 2019, 01:13:52 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
The only way we bring a good center is if both theis and kanter are too injured and can’t contribute going forward as their salaries should be used to match $$s.
I think their reliability is quite suspect as it is now so we may not have a choice but to trade them in December ..
Favors or Randle would be good upgrades but first is injury prone and second might be too expensive ( however I’m al for trading the mid draft picks we have and not let danny waste them)

« Reply #178 on: November 08, 2019, 01:18:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Season   Salary
2018-19   $5,000,000
2019-20   $10,000,000
2020-21   $10,500,000
2021-22   $11,000,000
2022-23   $11,500,000

You really should like read the article. The article is about all rules regarding the CBA.

Under extend and trades it gives you the rules of extend and trades. Max length, max money, max raises.

It then says:

If a player signs a contract extension for a longer period, a higher amount, or higher annual increases than would be permitted for an extension-and-trade, then the team is prohibited from trading the player for a period of six months following the date of the extension.

See the bolded. In other words it is describing non-extend and trade extensions(like Brown's). So those extensions can not be traded for 6 months.

« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2019, 01:21:14 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Season   Salary
2018-19   $5,000,000
2019-20   $10,000,000
2020-21   $10,500,000
2021-22   $11,000,000
2022-23   $11,500,000

You really should like read the article. The article is about all rules regarding the CBA.

Under extend and trades it gives you the rules of extend and trades. Max length, max money, max raises.

It then says:

See the bolded. In other words it is describing non-extend and trade extensions(like Brown's). So those extensions can not be traded for 6 months.

Here's a list of players that can't be traded this season.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/10/special-trade-eligibility-dates-for-201920.html?fbclid=IwAR0GYPDcGF8Zh9laoIT9-Wk4tykM37c6YtFVd58WvOMt_Eexj9T74KicYOc

The following players fit that bill and can’t be traded during the 2019/20 season:

Eric Gordon (Rockets)
Bradley Beal (Wizards)
Joe Ingles (Jazz)
Cedi Osman (Cavaliers)
Damian Lillard (Trail Blazers)

So far those are the only players that cannot be traded on or before the trade deadline.

Brown and Sabonis are not on that list.